Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-19-2015, 08:16 AM

Default Beware of fresh paint

The owner of this car bought it last year and drove it maybe 100 miles and decided he wanted more HP. A shop across from mine built a 347 and changed the rear to a Currie 9" and changed the wheels to Torque Thrusts. This car looked great when he bought it.

While the engine was out he decided he wanted us to install a Rod & Custom front suspension. We were removing seam sealer from the cowl and found that the lower cowl had been patched and never welded and also found this rust.

He wanted us to install a steel bulkhead behind the rear seat and this is what we found

At first we were going to patch the cowl and he was going to drive it a couple of years before we repaired the cowl and repainted the car.

We also found the front floor pans had been patched and the tack welds were bad. The owner decided to have us fix it right. This is what we found under that beautiful paint and a lot of bondo.

They had cut out a section and had a couple of pieces of plastic stuck in there with fiberglass mat over it.

This is what they were covering

If you are buying a car that was just painted make sure you see a lot of photos showing how it was repaired before it was painted. This was done by a shop that thank goodness is no longer in business.
www.gillisrestorations.com
Old 03-19-2015, 08:31 AM

this is why I couldn't never hold a job working in a shop, I have seen shops put that spray foam in the qtrs. to cover up the same thing, got fired one time because I asked the boss why they were putting two different color rear windows on a 97 suburban they were painting it was a silver and a dark tint glass on the back, he told me it was none of my business and said I was FIRED !

I laughed got my box and left, I cannot believe they are still open to this day !

whenever I painted a car here at home I usually had several hundred pics of just the metal work, must have pictures showing work !! never trust a shop that say's they don't take pictures, the shop that fired me didn't take pics !
Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 AM

My conscience would eat me alive if I sold a car like that. It's a good thing the car is now in capable hands.

LS1 Brakes|Wilwood Prop Valve|LS1 Master Cylinder|Aluminum Driveshaft|LS1 3.42 Rearend|Adj PHB|Adj LCA|LCARB|Koni Struts|Koni Shocks|Adj Caster/Camber Plates|STB|10 Spoke SS Wheels|PHB Relo Kit|Adj TA|SFC|ARAP Based Prom|B&M Short Shifter|Underdrive Pullies|SMOG!|AIR!|Rag Joint!|Magnaflow|Ported Plenum|Misc Stuff
Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Default That's rough

I've always been sketchy about fresh color on a car...do the rear pilars and quarters look like that stuff was ready to flake off while driving?
Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad View Post
I've always been sketchy about fresh color on a car...do the rear pilars and quarters look like that stuff was ready to flake off while driving?
No the paint did not look that bad and the panels were pretty straight. I did see a few sand scratches and the paint was chipped where the door hit the quarter at the top.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 AM

Wow! As an ex-autobody man that's just horrible. Those kinds of idiots that pull that stuff gave guys like me who do proper jobs a bad name.

Always been a rule of thumb when a new paint job is on a car, to ALWAYS check with a fine tooth comb and even better, bring a magnet to check for actual metal. Doing so has helped me a few times from not getting stuck with a lemon.

Friend of mine found out the hard way 5 years ago when he bought himself a nice '68 Camaro, the entire thing was hack jobbed together and lucky it basically didn't fall apart when he drove it.

Good to see it was all caught early.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

The C pillar rot looks like the only thing structural holding it together was the quarter skins.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Iroc-Z View Post
My conscience would eat me alive if I sold a car like that. It's a good thing the car is now in capable hands.
I'm the same way. I don't see how anyone could do this to another person. Of course, to the seller this may have been an acceptable way to repair the car.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 03-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Geez that thing is bad. Mustangs are pretty cheap and available, I would consider starting with a better body. After sheet metal work ,panel costs, labor, some things aren't worth saving. Can't believe some people. You can't completely blame the shop tho,the customer may have insisted on having it fixed quick and cheap. When the economy was even worse then now I've seen some shady things done at a few places and called them out on it. People get desperate and don't want to loose the money from the customer and work like this becomes the norm.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-it View Post
Geez that thing is bad. Mustangs are pretty cheap and available, I would consider starting with a better body. After sheet metal work ,panel costs, labor, some things aren't worth saving. Can't believe some people. You can't completely blame the shop tho,the customer may have insisted on having it fixed quick and cheap. When the economy was even worse then now I've seen some shady things done at a few places and called them out on it. People get desperate and don't want to loose the money from the customer and work like this becomes the norm.
The shop on the North East Coast of Fl owned the car then built and sold the car.