Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM

Default 1969 Cougar Eliminator Clone build

Finally my shipper in Miami got the RS600 transmission from Keisler.
Hopefully It will be in my hand in Hungary in August and we can continue to work on the project.
Another news is that I sold the Opentracker's factory style roller control arms and the Bilstein shocks and invested the money in RideTech's 67-70 Mustang Coil-over.
I purchased the RideTech Coil over from MCB. Everthing went nice and smooth. They gave me very good price. Thanks again Kim
The SSBC Tri Power big brake kit is already on the way to Hungary.
I think august will be very busy month

Last edited by medbali76; 06-08-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 PM

Any pictures of the Cougar? The 69' Eliminator is my favorite of all the cougars.

Sounds like you are on the right track with components your installing. I have a 69' Mach I and 70' Boss 302 clone I'm currently building. I have TCP front suspension and rack n pinion on both. I just did the RideTech coil over on my second gen Firebird and have been pleased with the results. I am going to go this route with both Mustangs.

Last edited by Xplane; 06-08-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplane View Post
Any pictures of the Cougar? The 69' Eliminator is my favorite of all the cougars.

Sounds like you are on the right track with components your installing. I have a 69' Mach I and 70' Boss 302 clone I'm currently building. I have TCP front suspension and rack n pinion on both. I just did the RideTech coil over on my second gen Firebird and have been pleased with the results. I am going to go this route with both Mustangs.
There are a few pics here.
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=36597

I was thinking on the TCP products first but I read so many good comments about RideTech's Coil overs so I decided to go that way.
My biggest headache now is to find rack and pinion which will work with my 428CJ with Hooker long tube headers.
I like Mustangs, My 2nd car will be a 69 for sure
Old 06-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Here is my take on your suspension delima, anybody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I own TCP standard spring/shock configuration, TCP coil over to lower control arm configuration, and Ride Tech coilover (2nd gen F-body) configuration.

I have not seen any major flaws in any of these systems so far, but the real question you need to answer is what do you want to do with the car?

Here is my take, again from personal experience;

Streetcar that you would like a good front camber curve and big handling improvement over stock.

TCP with stock type coil arrangement with standard shock setup. + = easy installation and big improvement in handling and front suspension geometry.
- = must cut coils to change ride height or add spacers. Limited to OEM fitment shocks.

Same setup as above with Ride Tech or TCP adjustable coil overs. Adjustable ride height, spring rate, plus multiple adjustments in dampening dependingrqg on SA, DA, or Triple adjustable dampeners you choose.

TCP coil overs that attach to the lower control arm.
Finer control over the spring and damper ratio due to leverage ratio increase because of leverage ratio advantage mounting to the lower control arm. This is TCP only as far as I know, Ride Tech might have a free length/travel ratio that works with this also. I'm am not sure about this.

Racecar- decrease in ride quality, minimal increase in cornering ability in street situations(traction). Increased margins in racetrack environment with additional traction available.

See above setup. Ride Tech has ride complient bushings that might give up some performance on the track due to bushing deflection, but be more compliant on the street.

TCP has spherical rod ends which deflect less but also has a less complient ride quality.

It's really about you being realistic about what this car will be used for the majority of the time and what compromises your are willing to accept.

This is my experience, I would like to hear from others if they disagree.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:57 PM

One additional bit of info, I would recommend either TCP(no experience but same concept) or Ride Tech(2nd gen F-body but plan to add to 69/70 Mustangs) traingulated four link rear suspension for a street/mild track setup.

Advantages include no need for lateral rearend control device, improved ride quality, and adjustable ride height.

Disadvantages include difficulty in running exhaust over the axle and out the back

I am happy to answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability or experience and have no affiliation to any of these companies.

I am a do as much as I'm technically able hotrodder on a limited budget and like to help others from my experiences.

Last edited by Xplane; 06-09-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Updated information
Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
One additional bit of info, I would recommend either TCP(no experience but same concept) or Ride Tech(2nd gen F-body but plan to add to 69/70 Mustamgs) traingulated four link rear suspension for a street/mild track setup.

Advantages include no need for lateral rearend control device, improved ride quality, and adjustable ride height.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability or experience and have no affiliation to any of these companies.
I am thinking on a triangulated 4 link also. This is a little difficult in my case. RideTech does not have 4 link rear for Cougars. They have for the Mustangs only. The Mustangs have shorter wheelbase so RideTech should make control arms with different lenght. Hopefully this would be the only modification.
TCP has Cougar 4 link and they offer sway bar for that setup also which is a good point. But I dont want to mix the shocks. I will have RideTech shocks on front and a would like to have RideTech on the rear also. I dont know if RideTech shocks and springs would work with TCP 4 link.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
One additional bit of info, I would recommend either TCP(no experience but same concept) or Ride Tech(2nd gen F-body but plan to add to 69/70 Mustangs) traingulated four link rear suspension for a street/mild track setup.

Disadvantages include difficulty in running exhaust over the axle and out the back

I am a do as much as I'm technically able hotrodder on a limited budget and like to help others from my experiences.
Big thanks for any help
Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Sure surprised

I would call Ride Tech and TCP for additional info, they have both been very helpful providing info for my projects

You might be surprised what they can and will do for you.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I would call Ride Tech and TCP for additional info, they have both been very helpful providing info for my projects

You might be surprised what they can and will do for you.
I have already contacted to RideTech about the Cougar issues.
They have already made 1 kit for a 67 Cougar so it looks like it would not be a problem. There are a few video on their website about the installation. That was another shop who made it not RideTech. Therefore RideTech does not have any other info on that project. They don't know if any other modification was done with that kit. They tried to contact to that shop but as far as I know there was no any reply.

I will ask them about the TCP 4 link. I do not think their Coil overs will work with it but who knows
Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

How about some updates on this FE powered PT car?

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171