Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 PM

Default Factory2 Race Mustang

What's up everyone, new to this forum and I was referred by someone on pro-touring's forum. Been browsing and I've seen lots of cool cars so far and lots of really nice work! Well, a little bit about myself. I'm a 25 year old guy working on a career in fabrication. Eventually, I want to start a small business building race suspension parts, carbon fiber parts and doing some suspension tuning on the side. I've been autocrossing pretty heavily for the last 4 years and trying to get into the road race side of things even though autocross is still something I want to pursuit.

Anyways, about the car. I have a 2001 Mustang GT that has been in my family since it was new in 2001. A few years ago, I added a maximum motorsports tubular suspension and a torque arm/panhard bar in the rear and loved the way the car handled and started getting into some autocross. I eventually wanted more power, so instead of supercharging or adding a turbo to the car I decided to have an engine built. Had the engine in the car for about 1000 miles and a national solo event and the engine started losing a lot of oil through the oil catch can. Pulled apart the engine to find that the builder forgot one of the wrist pin clips in the #7 cylinder and it had walked out leaving an 1/8" groove in the cylinder wall. Since then the car has been sitting. Luckily the engine builder warrantied the engine even though it was out of warranty due to the purchase date. Sold the engine about a month ago though. I also decided to update the suspension. On the front, I went with a Griggs racing SLA and in the rear I'm adding an IRS from an 99-04 cobra. I have 2 different crossmember for the IRS and I'm going to be modifying one once I get some miles on the car and can see what the car needs. Planning on building my own upper and lower control arms and changing the upper arm mounting location to change up the roll center and camber gain once I test the car a bit.

As of right now, I'm starting on the roll cage build. Recently got my own bender and TIG to start the process, just need to order some tube. Anyways, I'll keep updating as I make progress, looking forward to some feedback from you guys! Pretty excited to be a part of this forum!

Last time I drove the car at SCCA Nationals in Lincoln, Nebraska 2014

New home

New front end

Rear Cradle Solid Mounts I Made

Best Purchase I've Made
Old 05-23-2016, 09:28 PM

Last time i drove the car

https://youtu.be/_KUqfg_msZQ
Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 AM

Nice car, I think I remember seeing it up in Lincoln. Are you going to put an interior back in it and street tires so you can run in CAM? I've been bugging Al Hermans here in KC to do the same for a while now, but he's too hooked on the purple crack Hoosiers.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:16 AM

Haha I've actually been thinking about that a lot, mostly just for local events because I have a lot of friends in CAMC. It won't be legal because I'm probably going with lexan Windows and I don't think that's legal. I won't put the interior in but I was thinking about making some carbon panels to make it look "complete". Currently I'm running in FS in a good friends 2013 Boss and had that at nationals last year. For my car I'm going to focus on NASA AIX and I eventually want to do the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with the car. What did you drive at nationals?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:57 PM

I've had my Monte Carlo up there the last two years for the CAM Invitational and Solo Nationals.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:02 PM

Awesome! I definitely remember seeing your car. I have a lot of good friends who run CAM C also. Ill have to look for you out there this year.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice car! Welcome to the site.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 07-01-2016, 01:18 PM

Finally starting to make some progress. Hoping to be completely done with the cage by August 1st!