Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2016, 08:17 PM

On the 67-68 version do these allow for rolled fender lips on the outer fender? I have commonly seen (and did it on my own car) maximizing the room for front tires by modifying the inner fender where it meets the outer fender in the 10-3 oclock positions (or 11-2) so that you can roll the outer fender lip. Were similar provisions made on this or does that area of this fender follow the OEM lines?

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023
Old 05-25-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
On the 67-68 version do these allow for rolled fender lips on the outer fender? I have commonly seen (and did it on my own car) maximizing the room for front tires by modifying the inner fender where it meets the outer fender in the 10-3 oclock positions (or 11-2) so that you can roll the outer fender lip. Were similar provisions made on this or does that area of this fender follow the OEM lines?
THAT is the plan.
The 69 inners (which are pictured) do that they follow the shape of the outer fender (n the inside) down to the lip. at that point you could leave the lip or roll it up to help hold the fender in place.
Keep in mind that the original inner fender was a structural member of the front end, that is not the case now.
it will mean no bolts in the top of the lip but you normally take them out so the tire doesn't rub anyway.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's a pretty cool product. Price point may be a little high for some. It would be really helpful if you posted up some installation tips. Things like

- How far to roll the lip
- Where to trim (the lip and the tub)
- How to seal up against the fender (sticky tape, sealant, etc.)

Several people have done this with hand fabricated tubs but there aren't too many photos showing a proven way to tie it all together. Lots of photos and an install video could really help sell these and then the price would come down as more people jump in as was mentioned above.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowProgress View Post
That's a pretty cool product. Price point may be a little high for some. It would be really helpful if you posted up some installation tips. Things like

Several people have done this with hand fabricated tubs but there aren't too many photos showing a proven way to tie it all together. Lots of photos and an install video could really help sell these and then the price would come down as more people jump in as was mentioned above.
The install info will come we are planning on doing that next week. Just wanted to get the info out there.
They as with a lot of products will have more than one way to install them and finish the wheel lips, some may want to trim the lip some roll it. Some may want to try and fasten the tub to the fender or not. this part is intended to solve a problem, and save both time and money.
We have to price these parts to help cover development cost, last tally we had 150 hours in these plus mold cost shipping materials ect. We also have to price them to make money (that is the goal right, no profit on NEW parts). We have to include the packaging expense, instructions. that also takes time to do. We have to price them so that our WD's and dealers get the discount level that is agreed to.
I would not expect the price to come down from where it is now. Sorry it is just economics.
Yes some will find them a little pricey but you do need to consider the time involved in building a one off set, now I can't compete with a guy tinkering in his garage on a Tuesday night that puts in 2 hours and it takes him 6 months to finish his inner fender wells. but if you were paying a shop to build your car would you rather pay them 1100.00 or 3500.?? that is the reality of it.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 PM

Blake,

yes, $1100 seems high for what they are. Anvil inner fenders are a little bit higher in price, but anvil is known for pretty good fit and finish. when your new product gets in consumers hands, I imagine enough people will post up about fit, finish, and ease of install.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowProgress View Post

we are doing a final painted install this week and will have lots of pictures and more install info.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:40 PM

so I posted this over on PT and figured I will here as well. I am confused as to how the current price is out of line compared to the other brand that isn't even available, so that being said here is the challenge.

Tell you guys what. YOU come up with the price that they are "WORTH" being reasonable. commit to buying a set and I will try and make it happen.( I may have to average the suggestions)
Please consider all the factors discussed so far and formulate a retail price. Keep in mind that our WD's like Summit and Jegs need 30% markup, and consider the development time and costs, mold and tooling costs (and replacement as they don't last for ever), packaging, ect.
Obviously Speedtech needs to make money or you know the end result of that.

Please show me some rational as to how you arrived at the cost. I have done my homework on it.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 PM

I thought a little better visuals may help see how the tubs make a difference and fit the profile and dimensions of the ExtReme frame rails. Here are a couple pics of Roger's RedZed 69 Camaro's old tubs and it's new ExtReme tubs...

Old 06-16-2016, 06:58 PM

I think you guys are in line with you're pricing, gotta pay to play. Am I reading it correct that there's really no need to buy these for a stock sub because of other clearance issues? If so it's obviously not for everyone. The price of running a 315 up front isn't inexpensive. Wheels, tires, the extreme front clip...what part of any of this PT stuff is cheap?

Good for you guys for bringing new products to market.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
I think you guys are in line with you're pricing, gotta pay to play. Am I reading it correct that there's really no need to buy these for a stock sub because of other clearance issues? If so it's obviously not for everyone. The price of running a 315 up front isn't inexpensive. Wheels, tires, the extreme front clip...what part of any of this PT stuff is cheap?

Good for you guys for bringing new products to market.
Thank you for mentioning that.
And you are correct about the stock subframe or even our protouring subframe (mostly because the upper control arm is in a different fore/aft location. they could be made to work)
they MAY work on a DSE frame?? I just don't have any lying around to try it on lol