Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 PM

Default DSE Equipped 1967 mercury cougar

UPDATE 4/29/2016

It is Hard to believe I first introduced my build to the site back in 2011 and have been trying to take it the PT route since 2006

Long story short life got hectic, Had a kid, bought a house, changed careers, recently changed jobs within the new career field and then got promoted at my current employer, deaths in the family you name it.

My new position at my current employer will have me in front of computer more then I'd like, but that being said I can finally update this post here and there while on break or lunch.

Things have changed with the Cougar over the past 4.5 years

The Gateway suspension has since been removed and now lives on the front of my cousins 1964 comet, along with my cobra rear brake kit.

I have sold:
-my old small bearing 9"
-iron headed 302 i built back in 1999
-T-5Z
and now basically have the car to the point where it has no fenders, hood , deck lid etc. Been doing lots of little rust repair that I didn't find back when the "foosish" paint job was applied

I have gone through a number of ideas and finally have everything laid out for the most part. As of now the build will consist of the following items which I actually have on hand:

MOTOR:
DSS 306 roller motor that currently is studded , girdled, has forged I-beam rods, flat top forged pistons, Anderson N-71 camshaft, TFS170 heads with a port matched Victor Jr and a 650 carb Maddux carb. motor was in a friends car and I got a great deal on the setup, I probably go through the heads and fit with better springs and order a custom camshaft that suits my needs and then also fit a nice avaid road race type pan.

I know this will not be the fastest thing in the world but if I get roughly 350rwhp and its fairly streetable im happy with that for now, I figure mine as well get the bigger things done while the car is apart, a motor un bolts and can be swapped easily in the future.

Transmission:
Transmission is a TKO-600 that has gone to modern driveline and had carbon blocker rings installed on gears 2,3,4 along with their 2nd gear detent and low profile case mods. picked up an sfi approved quick time bell for pretty cheap and I will be using all of the products from Modern driveline to complete the swap i.e. hydraulic clutch kit, cross member, driveshaft,etc.

Suspension:
Front: Dse Aluma frame with baseline JRI

Rear: quadralink (modified to fit cougar) out back with the baseline JRI
Had A speedway modlite floater rear housing built with the DSE brackets that's been narrowed a total of almost 3" VS the factory rearend width

and of course the DSE mini tubs

Brakes:
Wilwood F-14.25" W6A 6 piston setup for a corvette that I re-drilled the rotor hat for 5x4.5" bolt pattern. Scored this used setup from Matt A.

Wilwood R- 13.04" 4 piston setup to fit the modlite floater

MISC:

Cooling will be handled via a becool radiator with dual spal fans

converting a mustang harness from American auto wire to work in the cougar and still retain all of the "coug" functions like: headlight doors and sequential turn signals.

I have also gone ahead and sourced my own serpentine setup, going to use a factory fox body style kit with a KRC pump (valved and flow tested to make sure its meeting DSE spec for the R&P) I found an old article where maximum motor sports was using a KRC pump on foxbodies, but KRC changed mounting on their pumps and maximum motorsports discontinued the kit. A quick call to MM netted them having a bracket left which I re-drilled, and will re shape to fit my KRC pump I now have.
I will be using the mr go fast setup to mount my alternator and will be able to use that as my means of belt tensioning I am using the kit he offers for a mechanical pump http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=431324

Going to try and use the factory style oil cooling setup off of a late 90's explorer to hopefully help drop the oil temp a few degrees that swap will be fairly simple and not a bunch of crazy cooler lines, clean simple and should make a difference.

Still on the fence about EFI (mainly cause my budget may not allow) if it does then something from FAST or holley or fi-tech may find its way on there

Wheels at this point are undecided but will need to 18" for sure, the 315 mock up tire out back looks like it will work and still allow me to get the ride height I want. 275 will be going up front as well.

The paint is what it is at this point, it is still in excellent shape although outdated and I'm just going to continue to rock it for now.

original thread:

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=34301

Original intro to the site:

some of you guys have seen me on Pro-Touring been a member there for a bit and have been lurking here so I decided to join.the look of this car will be drastically changed here in the next year or two to reflect more of the "pro-touring" look. I am planning on ditching the two tone paint in favor of an all Orange paint job. changing the wheels for something in a flat finish and have some ideas on the interior to help play on the outer color scheme.this is project "Garfield" my soon to be ALL Orange 67 cougar.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:22 AM

This is going to be a very cool build. Will the headers have to be custom with that front clip?
Old 04-30-2016, 03:57 PM

That's still not figured out. I've done lots of research and I have it narrowed down to using some JBA headers that fit the heidts mustang 2 front end.
The common contact areas seem to not exist when looking at those specific headers.

I'm seeing more and more cars being built using a pushrod sbf with the shorter deck height and so far off the shelf headers built for that year work with little modification so I'm hoping that the jba headers mentioned above fit just fine.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:44 AM

starting with removal of the very first motor I built back in 1999 and basic tear down:

put the rear wheels on car dollies and built these castor legs for up front.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:48 AM

Found some cancer that was never really taken care of when the car was painted originally:

Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 AM

also tried my hand at soda blasting, it didn't work out too well, maybe the cheap blasting equipment or my 60 gal 5 hp compressor wasn't up to the task. Sometimes you have to give something a shot, I was at least able to clean what I really needed to and do touch ups with a spot blast gun.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:58 AM

used my cousins 331 from a foxbody he had to do my front accessory mock up

bottom end of the 302 I will be using, kind of like putting lipstick on a pig, the area the mains bolt to are weak and not really convinced these girddles work but it was on there and im just going to go ahead and leave it.

used 6 piston w6A kit re-drilled and now fits my spindle/hub setup
Old 05-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Used a Mustang Quadralink that had to be modified to accommodate the extra wheel base length of the cougar.

Went with a modlite floater from speedway, I actually was in the area heading to disneyland and Ken gave me a tour where I got to see my rearend housing being done.

A friend of mine who has a paint shop performed the install of the quadralink, there are a few little spots where added gussets need to be finished , I will have the task of finishing the tubs and doing the subframe connectors.

This is a 17x8 with a 255/45/17 mounted and I have about another 1.5" on each side of tire clearance.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:43 PM

my mig welding has been getting better

I sold my lincoln 180 and upgraded. Just setup my new welder the other night and hope to be laying stringers this week and try my hand at TIG. last time I touched a tig torch was 14 years ago in welding class so should be interesting

and when your LWS doesnt have the size bottle you want but instead offers you two sizes up for the same price with the first fill up free well................. you end up with a 300 cu.ft. bottle

While walking through the car show in halfmoon bay a week ago i came across a home base business who makes this nifty tool to make using my porta-band a little more efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_aegtHnqkw
Old 05-04-2016, 11:20 AM

Good to see you're back on the project, keep it up!