Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Best handgun for home protection?
.45 acp 103 39.16%
357 mag revolver 26 9.89%
9mm semi 67 25.48%
.40 semi 67 25.48%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Glocks work fine. Different strokes for different folks. Glocks are here to stay like it or not and they somewhat started the polymer revolution which we've all benefited from. Many defenders bet their life on them and have proved they are an effective combat weapon......no need to trash them.

Zero shoots a Glock and I wouldn't want to go up against him with a shotgun in CQC........even at distance.

Wow, impressive!! A couple months ago I couldn't hit a skunk from about 15 yards with my 19!!! LoL!
www.fquick.com/shmoov69
Old 01-27-2015, 11:53 PM

Glocks are the VW bugs of guns. Run great when they are good but leave you with a pain when they don't.

I witnessed a few failures, most where with reloads.

I love my XD and loved my 1911.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
......most were with reloads.
Key words right there. Improper case prep, inaccurate powder measures, poor die setup and press maintenance, and infrequent quality control checks on rounds equal KaBoom. I was very careful loading my 22-250 considering the pressures they can develope.

3 years ago a 20+ year varmint hunting buddy and serious firearms collector had a squib round in his Ruger 77/17......he was distracted by a cell phone call and had another person next to him shooting a centerfire when the squib happened and ended up chambering another round......it blew the side off the stock and disintegrated the Ruger rotary mag........a tiny little .17 HMR. Certain rounds develop serious pressure. My even smaller .17 Mach 2 has higher pressures than the .17 HMR. This round was due to a bad batch of Hornady ammo. It was reported to Hornady with the batch number off the box and case and Hornady actually sent him a new rifle.

Sometimes safety is beyond your control but it's a very small percentage.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Key words right there. Improper case prep, inaccurate powder measures, poor die setup and press maintenance, and infrequent quality control checks on rounds equal KaBoom. I was very careful loading my 22-250 considering the pressures they can develope.

3 years ago a 20+ year varmint hunting buddy and serious firearms collector had a squib round in his Ruger 77/17......he was distracted by a cell phone call and had another person next to him shooting a centerfire when the squib happened and ended up chambering another round......it blew the side off the stock and disintegrated the Ruger rotary mag........a tiny little .17 HMR. Certain rounds develop serious pressure. My even smaller .17 Mach 2 has higher pressures than the .17 HMR. This round was due to a bad batch of Hornady ammo. It was reported to Hornady with the batch number off the box and case and Hornady actually sent him a new rifle.

Sometimes safety is beyond your control but it's a very small percentage.
but some were not.....I have 1700 rounds through my XD with reloads, cheap and what ever was laying around with zero issues.

Im not a glock hater just buyer be informed. Quality should top all reasons for purchase.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 01-28-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
but some were not.....I have 1700 rounds through my XD with reloads, cheap and what ever was laying around with zero issues.

I'm not a glock hater just buyer be informed. Quality should top all reasons for purchase.
Over 12K of my handloads through my 1911......no surprises in three years of shooting league. Never had a Glock, shot a few and the grip angle doesn't work for me. 1911's, Sig's, and a Kahr are my go to's.

Fact is any gun can blow up due to a bad round.....or two.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I've had my HK USP 40 for close to 20 years and thousands of rounds and it still runs like a machine.

7-8 years ago I picked up a Glock 27 compact in .40 as a carry piece and at first grumbled about how sloppy it felt next to my HK but as I have now run thousands of rounds through it as well it has never failed. Maybe 1 jam in all that time running PMC rounds when ammo was ridiculously expensive. I try to stick with better quality ammo.

I bought my wife a Kahr PM-9 a few years back...their single stack "hand fitted sub compact 9mm with match grade barrel" and it would barely shoot without jamming. Sent it back to the factory twice for them to just "polish the feed ramp." It would fail to feed and fail to eject on about every 2-3 magazines you would run through it. They give you the whole... "You need to run 250 rounds before it is broken in" but I ran 500 rounds of 3 different types of ammo and still had issues. The internal machine work was sloppy and there was something visually goofy about the alignment between the magazine and the feed ramp... the first guy I spoke to at the factory admitted they had some feed issues but nobody after that seemed to know anything about it. Recoil spring was so stiff my wife could barely cycle the slide. When it shot the groupings were nice and recoil was low. Ended up selling that one at a loss 6 months in.

We replaced the Kahr with a Springfield XDS9 single stack 9mm for her and it has been great. Quality wise it feels better than my Glock but not quite like the HK. It shoots great, easy for her to operate and puts down great groupings. It is definitely for small hands though.. where she can barely hold my Glock and HK because they are too big... I can barely hold the XDS9 because it is so small.

Anyway you guys do realize that this conversation will answer the mystery of the universe as just as much as asking.... "What is the best brand of car to buy?" or "What is Pro-Touring?" Or "What was that stuff growing on the cheesecake in my refrigerator and why did I eat it anyway?"

1970 Chevelle I built years back as a Lat-G Feature https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43116

Last edited by Revved; 01-28-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM

To the original question-the best handgun for home protection is the one you can get your hand on when needed.

Nothing wrong with Glock, I have a G26 Gen4. Have not had any issues with it, other than the occasional brass to the face. I have S&W M&P's, and an HK VP9, so far the HK is the best.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revved View Post
Anyway you guys do realize that this conversation will answer the mystery of the universe as just as much as asking.... "What is the best brand of car to buy?" or "What is Pro-Touring?" Or "What was that stuff growing on the cheesecake in my refrigerator and why did I eat it anyway?"

It's like asking "what's the best camera". Steve Rupp will tell you it's "The one you have with you!".

So true, and so simple. The best HD weapon is the one you have that you can use.

I have more weapons and ammo than I care to admit. They're all locked up 11 miles away. I choose to live where I don't lock my doors nor remove the keys from our unlocked vehicles.

I think maybe the best defense is a good dog. Our Lab barks at anything and anyone that comes within 20 feet of the house.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post

I think maybe the best defense is a good dog. Our Lab barks at anything and anyone that comes within 20 feet of the house.
I like the our dogs although they aren't big (french bulldog and boston terrier) they could give an additional couple seconds to ready yourself and family. That extra time could save your life.

EDIT- For the record I have my Para 1911 as my go to.

Last edited by nicks67ca; 01-28-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revved View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
To the original question-the best handgun for home protection is the one you can get your hand on when needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
It's like asking "what's the best camera". Steve Rupp will tell you it's "The one you have with you!".

So true, and so simple. The best HD weapon is the one you have that you can use.

Like oil the brand/quality is worthless if not where it's needed.

Interesting on the Kahr Revved, I've had two PM40's and both fed well, only way it would hiccup was due to limp wristing.

Greg you have multiple guns........you need another dog.