Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-01-2017, 09:21 PM

Default Daily driver

So who here has a streetable daily driver that can also do the occasional autocross run? Can the two coexist? I'm new to this segment of cars and I'm looking at 68 that's nicely appointed (subframe, ls2 with efi, t-56 etc..). It has everything I would add if building my own but I'm buying from pleasure and not necessarily to autocross, maybe In the future.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
So who here has a streetable daily driver that can also do the occasional autocross run? Can the two coexist? I'm new to this segment of cars and I'm looking at 68 that's nicely appointed (subframe, ls2 with efi, t-56 etc..). It has everything I would add if building my own but I'm buying from pleasure and not necessarily to autocross, maybe In the future.
There are several on here that drive the wheels off of their cars on the street and do a fair amount of tracking as well. If you've found a solid car that's put together with quality parts, by someone who knows what they're doing, you should be able to achieve what you're looking for with no issues at all.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@Ridetech View Post
There are several on here that drive the wheels off of their cars on the street and do a fair amount of tracking as well. If you've found a solid car that's put together with quality parts, by someone who knows what they're doing, you should be able to achieve what you're looking for with no issues at all.
It's got ridetech tq's on all 4 corners currently but if I buy it we might switch to HQ's. C6 geometry subframe.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 PM

Absolutely, you can have excellent street manors and still do track days and autoX! Dust Off will drive all day long in stop and go traffic at 100 degrees and the engine temp never goes over 190. I can then turn around and cruse on the interstate at 70 and pull down 18mpg. I'm running a 383 stroked SBC with MSD throttle body EFI, T56 Magnum, DSE subframe, Chassisworks canted 4 link with 9" Moser floater, Corvette C6 Z06 brakes, AFCO double adjustable coilovers at all four corners all riding on Forgeline 18x10 275s front and 18x12 335s rear. The car handles the street like a modern sports car and I just dial up the shocks a few clicks and it is ready for track days or autocross. I have a little over 25000 miles on the car since completing the build in April 2012. A proper Pro-Touring build, in this case a 1st gen Camaro, is far more street capable than the car was stock.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 02-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Thanks for posting and beautiful car! I'm trying to buy this car I'm looking at.

It needs a few tweaks to be more street friendly but easily done.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
Absolutely, you can have excellent street manors and still do track days and autoX! Dust Off will drive all day long in stop and go traffic at 100 degrees and the engine temp never goes over 190. I can then turn around and cruse on the interstate at 70 and pull down 18mpg. I'm running a 383 stroked SBC with MSD throttle body EFI, T56 Magnum, DSE subframe, Chassisworks canted 4 link with 9" Moser floater, Corvette C6 Z06 brakes, AFCO double adjustable coilovers at all four corners all riding on Forgeline 18x10 275s front and 18x12 335s rear. The car handles the street like a modern sports car and I just dial up the shocks a few clicks and it is ready for track days or autocross. I have a little over 25000 miles on the car since completing the build in April 2012. A proper Pro-Touring build, in this case a 1st gen Camaro, is far more street capable than the car was stock.

I love that car.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 PM

Steve, you may be the mileage kind around here.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Vehicular tolerance is up to the individual. One guy's dream hotrod is the next guy's nightmare. If you can stand driving an open-top Jeep to work every day, with a smile, you could probably enjoy driving a hotrod every day. A hotrod is not a perfect car, nor is it likely to be, regardless of how much money you spend. If you're used to driving a late-model Benz, Beemer, or even a Honda Accord, a hotrod will be like moving to another state with a completely opposite climate, or perhaps dating a bipolar stripper. Things will go wrong, but the good times will be some damn good times. Hotrods are made for right now, not for commuting to work for the next decade. Do you know how to analyze hotrod problems?
Old 02-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I have about 30,000 miles on my Camaro. Some years it gets driven more, and other years less, but it's been to a bunch of events, trips, etc.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Sorry if this de-rails the conversation, but I was dreaming a bit about a fun DD last night while I was out in the shop welding..... I came up with an early 60's Falcon with an EcoBoost 4-banger and some Mike Maier suspension goodies.... nothing too over the top - -17's wheels with reasonable sized tires, but super light.. I wondered what kind of mileage you get pull down...

I'll add it to the list of projects that I'll probably never have time to build!
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!