Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 07-16-2017, 05:36 PM

Default Old School Ford 5.0 EFI

Looking to throw together a fun daily driver. I'm thinking Fox-body LTD with a Cobra IRS.

As to the engine, I was thinking about rebuilding a Fox-Mustang 5.0 and using a Twisted Wedge top end kit that's supposed to put out 350hp and backing it with a 5-speed.

My questions:

Good idea?

Who tunes the ECM?

Is there a better ECM kit?

Would you swap a different engine instead?

If a duck is a bird and a beaver is a mammal, what's a platypus?
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 PM

My info is probably a bit dated, but here ya go... I built a '89 Fox Coupe a few years back - motor was a basic 306 with good components a B cam, Edelbrock heads,and intake, TB etc.... Nothing too elaborate. It made like 378hp at the crank - right at 300 to the wheels and had a nice torque curve. It was a really fun little car.

I ran the factory Ford A9L ECM and it worked perfectly fine - they are (or at least they were) really cheap to come by. I had it tuned with a SCT chip on a chassis dyno (cost about $400 for the tune like 10 years ago). If you are looking for something fun on the street and good for AutoX - I'd say go for it. On a big track, my car would have run out of motor.......

Also - I had a Tremec 3550 behind it - the stock T5 didn't last very long.....
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiedemab View Post
My info is probably a bit dated, but here ya go... I built a '89 Fox Coupe a few years back - motor was a basic 306 with good components a B cam, Edelbrock heads,and intake, TB etc.... Nothing too elaborate. It made like 378hp at the crank - right at 300 to the wheels and had a nice torque curve. It was a really fun little car.

I ran the factory Ford A9L ECM and it worked perfectly fine - they are (or at least they were) really cheap to come by. I had it tuned with a SCT chip on a chassis dyno (cost about $400 for the tune like 10 years ago). If you are looking for something fun on the street and good for AutoX - I'd say go for it. On a big track, my car would have run out of motor.......

Also - I had a Tremec 3550 behind it - the stock T5 didn't last very long.....

Yes, totally a street car--a "daily driver" that's also fun to drive.

I had an E34 M5 with the 300hp S38B36 3.6 liter and it was a blast to get groceries in, yet got decent mileage. My thoughts are to build an "American M5" like my old E34.

On the other forum, someone said to stay away from the Twisted Wedge stuff, any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Not sure on the Twisted Wedge stuff..... I went with Edelbrock top end just because it was kind of a tried and true setup. A lot of guys were running Holley Systemax stuff too back then. I'm sure there were other combos that could have made a little more power, but I never had any issues out of the Edelbrock stuff. I went with the smaller intake valve heads too to help with low end. A buddy of mine is/was an engine builder and Ford fanatic, so I basically went with what he suggested for my intended used of the car (and my budget). If I look hard enough, I may be able to find the build sheet from the engine. If I can, I'll post it up for you. If I remember correctly - we used SpeedPro pistons (don't remember the details on them thought) and he milled the heads down some to get to 10.5:1.

I remember the tuners were surprised at the power given what the little motor was.
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:33 AM

I had a similar build to wiedemab about 12 years ago. The A9L Computer worked great for basic builds.. Mine was almost identical all Edelbrock heads / intake, bigger maff / TB, and long tubes made right at 300HP at the wheels also.

Mine was also SuperChip tuned onto the A9L compute directly..this was done out west when a guy named Bryon ruled the tuning word and Apex motorsports was still in business.

The twisted wedge, edelbrock, afr kits all produce similar HP numbers with the nod to AFR. Id not be concerned at all regarding the twisted wedge.

Also there are much better cams now days then the B cam..that we both wiedemab and I had.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2paz View Post
I had a similar build to wiedemab about 12 years ago. The A9L Computer worked great for basic builds.. Mine was almost identical all Edelbrock heads / intake, bigger maff / TB, and long tubes made right at 300HP at the wheels also.

Mine was also SuperChip tuned onto the A9L compute directly..this was done out west when a guy named Bryon ruled the tuning word and Apex motorsports was still in business.

The twisted wedge, edelbrock, afr kits all produce similar HP numbers with the nod to AFR. Id not be concerned at all regarding the twisted wedge.

Also there are much better cams now days then the B cam..that we both wiedemab and I had.

I was thinking of just going with the 360hp kit AFR/Twisted Wedge makes (heads, cam, intake), plus a set of pistons (10.5:1 or 11:1).
Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 AM

The big thing is, I don't want to try and shoehorn a Coyote in there, and I figured if 360hp can be made reliably with the old 302, then I wouldn't bother with an LS engine swap.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:22 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I just finished up a very similar build. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my car, it runs good (made 363rwhp/353rwtq) but I wish I would've built a 351w base to start with. I built a 331 stock block car (11:1cr) w/ AFR 195 58cc heads, and a holley systemax top end kit.

My car has an SCT chip that was tuned on the dyno, fairly straight forward and it's been done thousands of times. If you have a guy that's experienced in tuning the stock A9L it'll be a cakewalk for him.

https://youtu.be/tfvbFjNWcyw

https://youtu.be/ORCs2qb0FAM
Old 07-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@Ridetech View Post
I just finished up a very similar build. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my car, it runs good (made 363rwhp/353rwtq) but I wish I would've built a 351w base to start with. I built a 331 stock block car (11:1cr) w/ AFR 195 58cc heads, and a holley systemax top end kit.

My car has an SCT chip that was tuned on the dyno, fairly straight forward and it's been done thousands of times. If you have a guy that's experienced in tuning the stock A9L it'll be a cakewalk for him.
Why do you wish you'd have gone with the 351? I want to get decent mileage as well, which is why I thought I'd stay with the 302.