Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 AM

Default Import Guy excited to start modernized muscle project(s)...

Little intro here, my names Jeff and im from Oklahoma City, OK. Im 24 years of age and my current project (ongoing lol) is a 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege #566 of 2750 (AKA Callaway C14). The engine is completely stock for the moment with a fully built suspension, brake setup, and partially built transmission. I was going to go full blown into the project with a fully built 2.2L stroked motor with a Garrett GT3071R turbocharger but i have decided to leave this be as a reliable daily driver and search out a 70-72 camaro to build. I love cars that handle but i miss RWD and i miss that v8 sound. My previous car (and first) was a 1991 Camaro Z28 hardtop, 700r4, 305 tuned port with a built stock 10 bolt posi rear axle with a strange engineering 3.42 gearset. Yadda Yadda Yadda. After dynoing the camaro at 21st century musclecars in Carrolton, TX and pulling a mind numbing 181rwhp 246 ft lbs of torque (they said they couldnt get a true reading on it due to it hitting the stock 106mph rev limiter at 93mph due to the shorter gears without the matching speedo gear) i decided it needed more go. So i bought a L98 out of 92 Z28. Well then i got the new car bug, sold the camaro and bought a 2001 Mazda Protege MP3 (#842 of 1500), in March 2005 I was sideswiped into a barrier in Dallas and flipped the car at 65mph. That next week i bought a the current MazdaSpeed. I sat down to budget out the motor and trans build for the protege and it came out to around $14,000 total. I decided this wasnt in my opinion a worthwhile investment and began researching other routes and decided finally upon a pro touring style 70-72 camaro. The camaro will be my first fully built from top to bottom car and my first PT car. Im currently helping my dad rebuild his 1969 DZ302, unfortunately, the orig owner blue up the 302 and replaced it with a 350 out of a 69 rs/ss. His daily driver is a 2002 torch red M6 corvette targa. Were about 45% done with the full frame off resto on the camaro and he intends to start on a PT build of his own using a 58 corvette after the camaro sells.

As for the build on the Mazda heres how it currently sits....

Tokico Illumina 5 Way Ajustable F&R Struts Set at 4 front and 5 rear for track duty and 2 front 3 rear for daily
GoldLine MazdaSpeed Specific F&R Lowering Springs
Energy Polyurethane Rear Sway Bar Bushings
Racing Beat F&R Sway Bars (24mm F and 21mm R) (OEM)
Hard Race Front Lower Control Arms
Hard Race Front Lower Ball Joints
KYB F&R Upper Strut Mounts
Custom Eliptical Rear Camber Bolts
GT Spec Front Ladder Brace
Racing Beat 22mm Front Strut Tower Brace (Fixed) (OEM)
17x7 Racing Hart MPS2 Wheels (OEM)
215/45/17 Falken ZE912 Tires (All Seasons for Daily Use)
17x7 Racing Hart MPS2 Wheels (P/C-ed Black)
215/45/17 Falken RT615 Tires (Track Duty)
EBC Turbo Groove Sport Rotors F&R (Slotted/Dimpled Cadmium Plated)
EBC Green Stuff Pads (Daily)
EBC Yellow Stuff Pads (Track)
Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
TWM Gen 1 Short Shifter
Kartboy Polyurethane Shifter Bushings
AWR Polyurethane 76 Durometer F&R Motor Mounts
Custom 3" Turbo Back Catless Exhaust w/ Vibrant Street Power Muffler
ATP Turbo 8.5 PSI Wastegate Actuator
Custom Short Ram Intake
Custom H2O Intercooler Sprayer
8000k Plug & Play HID Kit
2003.5 MazdaSpeed Front Lip
2003.5 MazdaSpeed Rear Lip

Car puts down around 165whp as it sits with a little over 2400 lbs with driver. Fastest ET to date is a 15.001 @ 93.870mph with 2.275 60 foot (Bleh). I havent had a chance to hit the open track with the current setup yet but i should turn some impressive numbers there.

I'll attach a couple of pictures but to most of you guys it wont look like anything special.

The plan for the camaro on rough draft is as follows....

2006 Honda S2000 Spa Yellow Paint
Custom Carbon Fiber 3" Cowl Hood w/ CF Heritage Style Stripes
Custom Carbon Fiber Cowl Piece w/ CF Stripes
Custom Carbon Fiber Trunk Lid w/ CF Stripes
Custom Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler w/ CF Stripes
Custom Carbon Fiber Z28 Style F&R Bumpers
18x9.5 Front/18x11.5 Rear Fikse FM5's or Iforged Aeros Full Polished Finish
BFG G-Force KDW2 Tires
Some sort of big brake kit, most likely stop tech or wilwood
Fully built suspension which im still researching
Fully restored black interior with modern touches
Corbeau A4 Seats
Corbeau Harnesses
Powder Coated Black Roll Cage
Pro Sport Digital Gauges
CF Interior Accents
1992 Camaro Z28 L98 bored .030 (355ci)
AFR Heads
Custom Cam
Forged Pistons & Rods
Blanced & Knifedged Crankshaft
Custom Equal Length Tubular Exhaust Manifolds
Twin Garrett GT3071R Turbochargers
SLP Siamesed TPI Runners
Custom Billet TPI Plenum
Larger Throttle Body
Ported/Polished Accel/Ligenfelter TPI Manifold
Ed Wright Tuned 92 Z28 ECU
T56 transmission w/ viper spec internals
Custom Aluminum Driveshaft
Moser 12 bolt rear end with 3.73 gearing

Alot of things are up in the air but thats the vision i have in my head, i hope to learn alot more in my time on this forum. I guess that wasnt a little intro but it'll do lol.

Note: All of the pictures i have on this comp are from the previous setup. Alot of things have changed but weather hasnt permitted me to take updated pics. 3rd Pic is of me and my newly married wife (August 23rd, 2008)
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 AM

I just noticed how drunk and mildy retarded i look in that picture, excuse me.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Dude thats PIC is pretty funny you looked really wasted or stoned. But welcome to site. Now go get some american muscle.

72 Chevy Nova in pieces trying to rebulid this bucket of bolts (really just a labor of love)

Crew Chief's: Helping pilots get laid since 1947
Old 04-01-2009, 07:27 PM

Im working on finding the car right now, i have some pretty good candidates lined up.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 AM

sounds like a nice project, im personally not a big fan of front wheel drive cars as project viechles, ive had my fair share of them, i just dont like the way thet behave once you get on the power or try and corner...

its a pretty car though and with the mods it will look asweome...

explain one thing though, what is a 5 way adjustable shock... i can see adjusting compression and rebound.... then what are the other 3 parameters..??

anyway, post more pics im curious to see a build of this kind... so less names dropping and more pics, some of us dont have a clue about what is the **** on a jap car when it comes to aftermarket parts...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_454 View Post
sounds like a nice project, im personally not a big fan of front wheel drive cars as project viechles, ive had my fair share of them, i just dont like the way thet behave once you get on the power or try and corner...

its a pretty car though and with the mods it will look asweome...

explain one thing though, what is a 5 way adjustable shock... i can see adjusting compression and rebound.... then what are the other 3 parameters..??

anyway, post more pics im curious to see a build of this kind... so less names dropping and more pics, some of us dont have a clue about what is the **** on a jap car when it comes to aftermarket parts...
i think what he means is- there single adjustable but have five setting options...

btw welcome-youll soon wonder why you ever wasted you time on those silly little toys LOL

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?
Old 04-10-2009, 04:58 PM

welcome!
maybe soon you'll even sell the mazda for something even cheaper and more economical so you can just inject the cash into your camaro
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Well ive been busy as hell in the past few months and ill steelz was ALMOST correct lol. I did in fact sell the mazda and purchase some american muscle. But i didnt end up going old school musclecar like i wanted to (yet). I ran across a deal while i was selling cars for chevy and could NOT pass it up so i jumped on it. I purchased a single owner 110% bone stock 2002 Camaro SS 35th Anniversary Edition. Its a t-top automatic car. 325hp factory rated. I havent had time to really mod it or dyno it yet but i did manage to make some 1/4 mile passes and on the decent firehawk wide ovals i cut a 13.5 @ 104 with a 2.0 60 foot. As for as cornering, this thing is NOT confidence inspiring at all and it tends to "wiggle" a bit at speeds above 120mph. Im not sure how far this car will be modded as me and the wife are possibly looking into having a kid in the next year to year and a half.

Heres a couple of pics. The plan so far is first to address the suspension, brakes, and rolling gear.

Plans are so far.....

18x9.0 front 18x10.5 rear Cray Motorsports Scorpion Wheels
Nitto Invo 275/35/18 Front 295/35/18 rear Tires
Strano Valved Bilstein Shocks
Strano Lowering Springs
Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines
PowerStop Slotted/Dimpled Rotors (Front)
PowerStop Slotted Rotors (Rear)
Carbotech Brake Pads
ATE Super Blue DOT4 Brake Fluid
GM B4C Transmission Cooler
B&M Stage 2 Shift Kit
XP Racing Custom Dyno Tune
Fast Toys Performance Intake Lid
GM 85MM 5 Wire Mass Air Flow Sensor
Fast Toys Performance 3-5 Wire Conversion Harness
AIR Delete
Thunder Racing TR224 Camshaft Kit
American Racing Catted Headers
GMMG Cat-Back Exhaust
SLP Center Mount Exhaust Tips & Valance
Custom Rear Diffuser
6LE Designs Front Splitter

So far the only things from that list that may change would be the wheels. Im looking to buy a crew cab S10 Zr2 for a DD and kiddo carrier in the next year so we'll see how everything works out.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:31 AM

Default Nice Camaro!

I bet it puts down more than the "mind numbing 181rwhp 246 ft lbs of torque" you had in the Mazda! Nice Camaro!!
Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST
Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Nice to have another Okie on board. Nice camaro