Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Default Anvil Mustang

OK, some of you have known about this build and some may have seen some magazine blurbs about it......now, it's finally time to track the build here! Anvil Auto is breaking into the Mustang world in a very huge way! It all started when I heard that Steve Strope of Pure Vision (purevisiondesign.com) (Hammer, Z Nova, 515 Charger, Petrol Charger, etc., etc.) had a '66 Mustang project for sale. I told Steve that the early Mustangs just weren't my cup of tea, but if it were a '69 (my favorite) I may just be interested. Steve did a little homework and realized that some of the components from the '66 project could work on a '69. So, Steve and I decided to look for a good, clean original '69 sports roof that would make a good candidate to go under the knife. After looking everywhere on the west coast, I found one on e-bay right in Steve's back yard in Simi Valley, CA. He went over to the owner's house one night and called me to tell me it looked like it could be the one. Upon Steve's approval, I made a deal with the guy and we went over to the his house to pick it up. It had very little rust and only some driver's side rear damage which isn't an issue (you will see why later).

'69 Camaro
'73 Camaro
'10 Camaro RS/SS
'96 Viper GTS
'70 Bronco
'69 Mustang sports roof

Last edited by ANVIL1; 08-10-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Yeah you have been holding out on us to say the least.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Yeah I was wondering why there wasn't a build thread.
I saw it when we came down to the El Toro event. It will be pretty cool.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Default Rendering

Here's a rendering that Tavis Highlander did early on showing the original concept Steve and I discussed late one evening. I also did a little work with some plastic model kits to try out some ideas before cutting apart our candidate. The final product should be pretty close to this rendering, but more agressive (despite the not so sinister off-white paint).

'69 Camaro
'73 Camaro
'10 Camaro RS/SS
'96 Viper GTS
'70 Bronco
'69 Mustang sports roof
Old 08-06-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Funny Matt! You were sanding away like a mad man the last time I saw IT -- and YOU - at Steves shop. It was looking like a killer project even then! Glad you've got it going on now.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 PM

This will be a fun build to watch.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Interesting how "white" right now is the current hip color. Lots of white projects right now
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
Interesting how "white" right now is the current hip color. Lots of white projects right now
It's interesting you say that Mike. It was Steve's idea to go white. He wanted to do something different and looked at the new Ferarri pallet. When everyone is zigging, the best thing you can do is zag. I have to admit, white just wasn't on my radar and it was like a slap across my face when Steve suggested it. After I came to, and looked at the Ferarri web site at the color, I started to warm up to the idea. Plus no one would expect it, so I said, OK, let's do it. Now, it seems that maybe others are thinking anti-murdered out paint schemes too. The other thing that I sort of predicted, but only now am realizing is that the next big thing would be 69-70 Mustangs. I've always liked those years best as they are the most agressive looking before they got bloated (although those Mach 1s with the almost horizontal back glass are soooo cool) and before they went gas crisis on us (Mustang II). I think there might actually be more Mustangs at SEMA this year than '69 Camaros. Yeah, you heard it here first! That's my prediction.
'69 Camaro
'73 Camaro
'10 Camaro RS/SS
'96 Viper GTS
'70 Bronco
'69 Mustang sports roof
Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Default Tail Lights

There are a lot of modifications on this car, but some are so subtle that you won't notice them right away. That's sort of Pure Vision's calling card, but I pushed for some things that probably make this a bit more outside of Steve's normal comfort zone. The hardest thing to do is to make changes that don't diverge too far from the factory sheet metal, or seem to anyway, but still enough to be worth the effort. There are Easter eggs all over this car, so I don't want to blatently just list them here as to spoil the fun of finding them. I will, however give some clues. Take a look at the tail panel. It's been modified in more ways than one.

Now, I know the screen is not that subtle, but there are some other things going on there. It will be more apparent when I post some more pics later.
'69 Camaro
'73 Camaro
'10 Camaro RS/SS
'96 Viper GTS
'70 Bronco
'69 Mustang sports roof

Last edited by ANVIL1; 08-06-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANVIL1 View Post
There are a lot of modifications on this car, but some are so subtle that you won't notice them right away. That's sort of Pure Vision's calling card, but I pushed for some things that probably make this a bit more outside of Steve's normal comfort zone. The hardest thing to do is to make changes that don't diverge too far from the factory sheet metal, or seem to anyway, but still enough to be worth the effort. There are Easter eggs all over this car, so I don't want to blatently just list them here as to spoil the fun of finding them. I will, however give some clues. Take a look at the tail panel. It's been modified in more ways than one.

Now, I know the screen is not that subtle, but there are some other things going on there. It will be more apparent when I post some more pics later.
The taillights are different the stock one mounts from the inside. These are like a 68 with the holes for the chrome which holds the light to the taillight panel.
www.gillisrestorations.com

Last edited by GPR; 08-06-2010 at 10:46 PM.