Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean on the "correct" issue. I've seen a few diecast cars that were technically correct but the wheels came off as teeny looking.

I think Cyber Gray would look good too, actually. I will say though, unless you DO do (not doodoo) machined wheels or black wheels, there may be a whole lotta gray on gray on gray going on. Lots of gray could be kind of flat on visual appeal to the casual observer. I know you're not doing this build for US, but to me it's something I consider when customizing or picking out a new model. Like I said though, consider having enough machined wheels built to sell. Custom 12th scale wheels are nonexistent. I know I would love a set of custom 12th scale wheels for a Lamborhghini.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 PM

I've got one more lead to follow up on for the wheels. If I did cyber gray and kept the same wheels, I would paint them aluminum in color so as not to over do the gray. Not sure, I want to make sure I do whatever is going to pop the most on a contest table.

I will get some pictures up with the "big" wheels in just a bit

Artwork Page

Last edited by black2002ls; 01-31-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM

Here are a couple of better pictures. I think that with them done with "aluminum" lips they will be ok. that gray is a little much right now. Also, as expected they look a little big, even as full scale goes. The last two pics show the original plan for the wheels/tires from earlier in the build. Just ran the numbers, the RC wheels scale out to ~25" wheels

Artwork Page

Last edited by black2002ls; 01-31-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 AM

(scratches head) They look a bit tall to me, especially the front. I would guess you have the best vantage point though. I wish they were perfect no questions asked...I'm sure you more than me Hahaha.

What design will you go with if the wheel lead pans out?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 AM

probably the same design. though with more detail and some offset. I have an extra set of wheels from the new GT500 kit and am thinking they can be modified to ZR1 wheels. im not sure yet. I am open to wheel options

Artwork Page
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 AM

I wonder if you could ask permission to do one of the vendor wheels on here? It would be good exposure for them if nothing else.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASD U View Post
I wonder if you could ask permission to do one of the vendor wheels on here? It would be good exposure for them if nothing else.
What would be even better would be for a vendor to hook up with this and machine me some 1/12th scale replicas

I just sent a message to steven rupp to see if he had a good contact at forgeline that he thinks might be able to help me. We will see what comes of it

Artwork Page

Last edited by black2002ls; 02-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:20 AM

I was thinking them, Rushforth or NewGen. The latter are newer companies that may be more willing to venture out into something like this for "cross-pollination" sake...or even just for the hell of it. LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 10:51 PM

A little update on this. As awesome as it would be to say that the wheels are fully machined, I've found an alternate route. www.shapeways.com offers 3-D printing services. Basically you upload a 3-d image file and they sell you prints of the design. I've spent the last couple of days teaching myself solidworks and working on a design for a wheel center. I'm not sure if I will go so far as to make the wheel "sleeves" or not, or if I will have someone machine them for me.

Here is a picture of what I'm working on:

The great thing about this is, the possibilities are nearly limitless once I'm proficient at solidworks. Some things will still be scratchbuilt, however, the items that I have trouble with, or can't get proportions right, they can simply be printed!

Artwork Page
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Still no physical modelling as of yet. I've been working in solidworks and learning its nuances and ways to get this all done. I have been able to create a new wheel center, wheel sleeves that are 11" and 9.5" wide, as well as a wheel stop. The way this will work is, the wheel stop is adjusted to the depth I need for the backspacing I want, then it will be mated to the outer sleeve. Once that is done, the wheel center will be mated to the stop. I've got the stop "drilled" for bolt heads, to mimick the wheel being blind fastened from the back side. Those bolts will be machined pieces.

Artwork Page