Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-19-2016, 07:36 AM

That CAM legal carpet is pretty light...
Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 AM

Just an update to let everyone know I'm still around...

Life has gotten in the way of all things car related for the most part anyway. There have been several planning meetings with Doctor Ron and we believe that a solid plan is now in place, but the timing of putting said plan into motion has changed. It'll probably be mid summer now before I get the plasma cutter (and Visa card) out...but in the meantime Barney is still pretty much race ready from last fall minus a few preventative maintenance type jobs. Feels pretty strange not tearing the car apart in the off season, first time ever for me.

I did get to hang out with GW and a few of his car friends in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago and that was very cool. I also have several friends deep into off season car projects that I'm trying to help with and stay involved in so that helps to scratch the itch.

Meanwhile it's mainly been about house projects...both fixing up the old house and looking for a new house, both of which are very time consuming it seems.

Just wanted to say "Hey" and let everyone know I'm still around and watching...
Old 02-28-2017, 02:14 PM

Great to hear from you! Dr. Ron spoke highly of you in the seminar I attended last October. I totally empathize with you about "real life" interfering with your "want to's". Look forward to competing with you sometime in the CAM Challenge or Pro Solo venues. A/G bodies rule!!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:36 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Yep. This build is the inspiration for Montel, the Slow Sedan that we're doing.

315's square, turbo'd L33, 4L80E, 9" rear.

Thanks for wiping out my bank account.

68 GMC C1500
Haulin more than the mail

73 Camaro
Better grow a mullet

70 K5 - 4wd turned 2wd
Project might as well...

Known as John or "JJ"
Old 03-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I like this thread! Keep it coming man, nice to see a G-Body build.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel View Post
Yep. This build is the inspiration for Montel, the Slow Sedan that we're doing.

315's square, turbo'd L33, 4L80E, 9" rear.

Thanks for wiping out my bank account.

LOL... That's precisely why I'm retooling right now and keeping my powder dry. Upgrading to 18" wheels and a locker last fall wiped me out for a while and the next round of upgrades are even pricier.

Just signed up for Track Night in America at Heartland Park Topeka in April, that makes 3 road course events I'm registered for so far this season, two are away trips also. Starting to get that itch...
Old 03-01-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ@RideTech View Post
I like this thread! Keep it coming man, nice to see a G-Body build.
Thanks! The turning point for this car happened when I bolted on my set of TQ shocks... Some day I'll get them back in for some of this upgraded Secret Sauce I keep hearing about.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltmilton View Post
Great to hear from you! Dr. Ron spoke highly of you in the seminar I attended last October. I totally empathize with you about "real life" interfering with your "want to's". Look forward to competing with you sometime in the CAM Challenge or Pro Solo venues. A/G bodies rule!!!!

Thanks!! Did Ron also make fun of my cup holder during the seminar?

I "may" try to make CAM East in Grissom this year and maybe the Invitational in Lincoln as well, will have to see how the rest of my life gets along between now and then.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Thanks!! Did Ron also make fun of my cup holder during the seminar?

I "may" try to make CAM East in Grissom this year and maybe the Invitational in Lincoln as well, will have to see how the rest of my life gets along between now and then.
Yep, he sure did. Said it was the hardest part of the build.

milt
Old 04-24-2017, 02:03 PM

It's been a while since I've updated this thread...mainly because there hasn't been much to update on. Life has taken a front seat lately and Barney has been relinquished to the back seat for now, it's all good though...many updates are planned and in the works once my schedule relaxes a bit.

I did make an upgrade to my crankcase ventilation setup which worked wonderfully, it's detailed here https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=54712 and I also added the Chad Ryker GoPro external mic mod just in time for my first time out on a big track in almost a year.

Last Thursday I went to the SCCS Track Night in America event at the freshly repaved and reopened Heartland Park Topeka road course. What an awesome event...if there are any TNIAs near you, I highly recommend attending if you can. It's a great value mainly designed to get noobies acclimated to running on a road course but also gives veterans a place to play on the cheap as well. We got (3) 20 minute sessions in on course for $50...can't beat that.

The car worked great, this was my first time on a road course since adding the locker, big rear springs, 18" wheels and of course sticky RE71s and the changes were noticed immediately. I did have to spend some time knocking the rust off the driver, and could use some more of that apparently after watching all my missed shifts in the video. I think my shift rail has finally reached the point of needing some attention, I seem to struggle to find both 3rd on an upshift and 4th on a downshift. Coming over the top of a blind Alpha 0 hill at 130 mph at end of front straight may have contributed to my missing of the 5/4 downshift a few times as well...

The catch can worked awesome, the engine didn't use a drop of oil nor miss a beat and I LOVE the microphone mod... Check out the video of my last session and turn your speakers up..

I spent the first couple of laps trying to keep up with my friend Keith...unsuccessfully, once he got away I settled down and got a few good smooth laps in. I have learned (at least on this slick new pavement anyway) that these RE71s are slick when cold...have about a 2-3 lap window of goodness...then slowly go away again as they overheat. I don't remember the Falkens having such a narrow window of goodness...but the extra fun laps of stickiness make up for that I'm certain.