Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Well guys, so surgery went well, and I am on the mend. Still can't move my hand at the wrist full movement, but I can enough to get in the garage and do some work. The quarter panel is four spots from being officially welded in. I just need an extra hand on the last four. Here are pictures. Keep in mind, all these need to be buffed down.

First Tack.

Still need to work a little more on this section.

Now, guys, I need more guidance. How would you handle this trunk gap?

You can see that the gap goes from 6mm to 8mm and then down to 4.5mm. I have thought af adding to the edge of the trunk, but that would just cause a bow in the edge there. Would you cut the area at the widest part of the gap then split it and weld back?

If so, I need to see some videos of metal finishing. I'm lacking in that area for sure.

Also, here where the wheel well meets the trunk floor and back seat floor pan, do you weld that solid, or fill the gap with seal sealer?

Thanks guys for all the help. I couldn't do this without all your knowledge and guidance.

My Build Thread;

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40557
Old 02-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Bill, I think you better chill and let than hand heal or you'll be needing a helping hand permanently. I work in an orthopedic hospital part time and our biggest return patients are those who don't listen to the doctor and do too much. Those are the one's who think they know better than the doctor that went to school for a billion years and knows his craft. LOL!!

Old 02-27-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
Bill, I think you better chill and let than hand heal or you'll be needing a helping hand permanently. I work in an orthopedic hospital part time and our biggest return patients are those who don't listen to the doctor and do too much. Those are the one's who think they know better than the doctor that went to school for a billion years and knows his craft. LOL!!
Marcus, I do understand. I did overdo it on Saturday. The Doc did say use it. No therapy other than just keep moving it. My son said he could make it move all the way, I told him if he wants to live to see his next birthday, then he will keep his hands off me.

I did stop Saturday when it was starting to hurt. Believe me, it lets me know when it has had enough.

It was just good to be able to get back out there and work on it some.

My Build Thread;

Old 02-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEEP View Post
Marcus, I do understand. I did overdo it on Saturday. The Doc did say use it. No therapy other than just keep moving it. My son said he could make it move all the way, I told him if he wants to live to see his next birthday, then he will keep his hands off me.

I did stop Saturday when it was starting to hurt. Believe me, it lets me know when it has had enough.

It was just good to be able to get back out there and work on it some.
I totally understand Bill. The micd needed a little satisfactory therapy as well just knowing you got out there a did a little bit. Get well and don't overdue it. I just bet your son could make it move all the way. Kids are invincible...at least, so they think. Hahahahah!!

Old 04-20-2023, 08:14 PM

Well, It has been 6 years since I updated this thread. Much has changed in the life here for my family and I.

So, since 2017, I broke my tibia plateau on a dirt bike, got better after that, and life in general took over.

The Chevelle, took the seat way in the back. Kids were growing up, engaged in sports and school, and just taking precedent for life with the wife and I. Fast forward to April 2020. Amazed at what a tornado will do to a house. we were hit and the house was totaled. Moved into a extended stay hotel for a month, and then to a rental house. The Chevelle stayed in the detached garage during that process.

Before that, the young man in the pictures grew up and talked me into getting him a K20 Chevy truck. Along with that, I got the fever and helped him along the process with a LS swap, new gears, wiring, dash, transmission, and everything else that was wrong with it. So you know that took over the garage and the Chevelle progress stopped.

We ended up tearing down the house and selling the property, and having a new place built. What a process. So much to decide on.

I had a friend that had space for all my tools and the Chevelle. Had to store it for a while so that we could get the new place built and moved into. amazed at even building new, there is still so much to do.

At this point, the boy has been in the Army for two years. He is stationed in Ft. Lewis McCord in Washington State.

My daughter just got married. That took funds away from the Chevelle, go figure, and I got a new job position within Komatsu.

At this point, life is pretty good. Except, the Chevelle hasn't progressed at that point.

So that is life, now on to what has happened in the last month.

With the help of my brother in law, he encouraged to go get the car and get it to the garage. I had completed some updates on my HEEP and moved it to the center bay. The end bay is cleared and ready for the Chevelle.

So away I go.

My Build Thread;

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HEEP For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-20-2023), Cramer4918 (04-22-2023), Roscoe03 (04-22-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 08:19 PM

Here are the pictures of getting it out of storage and getting it home.
Attached Images

My Build Thread;

The Following User Says Thank You to HEEP For This Useful Post:
WSSix (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 08:21 PM

Rolled it into the new garage
Attached Images

My Build Thread;

Old 04-20-2023, 08:24 PM

I have a young one and another coming soon. They're a part of the reason I decided to sell the TA a couple years ago. I knew I wouldn't have time to continue working on a project. Glad to see you're back at it with the car. I wish you the best in making progress.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 04-20-2023, 08:30 PM

So while the son was home on leave after his deployment for his sisters wedding, he had talked me into working on the Chevelle engine since I had a new cam and parts to install it. Also purchased the Holley front drive system, so we checked out this part of it also. We both enjoyed the time in the garage again, and it was good for both of us.

Ended up seeing the cam bearing was a little worn. I had initially thought I was just going to cam swap and run it, but now I am too far into it to not go further. The new job enables me to use the distributor machine shop that I support, so we loaded it in the company truck Sunday and hauled it down there to have it cleaned and checked out for wear.

Based on their findings, going back with rebuild kit with all STD components. That will get ordered next week.
Attached Images

My Build Thread;

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HEEP For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-20-2023), Roscoe03 (04-22-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 08:32 PM

Here are some pictures the day we moved it out of the old garage.

That was a rough day.
Attached Images

My Build Thread;

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HEEP For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-20-2023), jarhead (05-01-2023)