Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 11-13-2010, 10:36 AM

Blast from the past! Copper tubing I don't think is an option. We are talking 1.5 - 2" in diameter. I've not worked on this in QUITE some time. And actually all of my stuff is in storage at the moment.

Artwork Page
Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Banned

Default G-machine

Got a little more done on the tranny. the main body is complete. all that is left now is the tail shaft. and then all of the ribbing and details. I'm seriously considering scratch building an LS1 for this is the best......Since this is going to be my dream car in scale......but time will tell. Also did some of the body mods. I opened up the marker lights and they will all be flush with the body.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM

Wow, not sure what steve was trying to do there, but I see he is banned now! If anyone is still following this, I'm trying to resurrect it. I'm looking for someone willing to try and machine some wheels for me... Any takers? Anyone know someone who might try?

Artwork Page
Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 AM

I have been following along for a while and i feel your dissapointment with the wheels. I too have had no luck with wheels. All i did was go to my local hobbie shop to see what they have and this is what I found. These are RC wheels with Tamiya tires. Looks like they are 18 inch wheels.I had to modify the tires to fit the wheels. Maybe you can modify the wheels to fit your inserts. If i were you i would stick with your original engine if you still have it. It was coming along nicely. As for the turbos you are doing an awsume job. Dont stop keep going. Like you i been on this thing for 4 yrs now. Recently tryed doing the Rally sport option with the results you see. If you have any question about the wheels i will be more happy to answer them.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:24 PM

I found a guy locally who said he was willing to try and machine them for me, we have yet to discuss cost. I also found www.micronitro.com I believe thats the guy I've been talking to. He makes a lot of 1/24th scale custom machined aluminum wheels. He said that he could make my 1/12th scale wheels, It would cost $125 for him to create the CAD and CNC files, then $35 a wheel. Not too outrageous. I'm currently looking for someone who can make the cad and CNC files that would be compatible with his set-up

Artwork Page
Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Don't forget about this project. Dying to see the finished product.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Not a lot to update here. Still fighting with the wheels, as I need to get them done to finish up the suspension geometry so it is some what correct. This one is still a bit on the back burner, however I had a lot of interest on this here, and a lot of people following it. I just want to let you guys know that I haven't forgotten about it!

I stopped by Wild Bill's in Irving today and browsed around a little. I came across some HPI Wheels that I thought were the right size. From there, I went to Rockwall and stopped at Hobbytown USA for some more plastic tube. There, I found some HPI tires, Falken Azenis I believe. After spending too much money, here is what I came home with, They are bigger than what I was hoping for though hopefully I can make them look right. Not quite as impressive as fully machined, or scratch built, however, It will hopefully save time and get me motivated for this thing.

The HPI wheels and tires

With the 1/12th GT500 wheels

A couple of views showing height/size difference

Finally, a couple of shots of the wheels under the body. The GT500 wheel and tire in the back, the HPI wheel in the front

One thing I have learned with model cars, more often than not, bigger wheels typically look better, not sure how I feel about the HPI wheels though. I think they are on the verge of too big.

and a pic of jackass that shows that, in all reality, they aren't all that over sized.

My intention is to remove the wheel centers and re-work them a little bit, creating a ring for the center that will have the bolts (think 2 or 3 piece wheel), once that is done, have someone machine some "sleeves". Just some aluminum cylinders that will serve as the outer part of the wheel, along with those sleeves a thin aluminum ring that I can adjust the depth with and fasten in place some how

Artwork Page
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 PM

The more I look at that picture of jackass (the full size Camaro I posted), the more I think the wheels may be ok the way they are, and just alter the width of the fronts.

Then change the body color back to the original sunset orange metallic or going with cyber gray metallic and paint the wheels aluminum with a gunmetal center....

Artwork Page
Old 01-31-2012, 12:47 PM

I do agree about returning to the Sunset Orange color. It's still hard to get a visual of if the wheels will look properly scaled to the car. Can you post some pictures with the tires installed and more lighting? Some guys on the diecast forum have been able to find vendors that have machined them wheels. I'm not sure if you still want to go this route but depending on the cost and if you wanted to create more for the purpose of selling them, you could find out who they went through. Could be worth it just to look into it.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASD U View Post
I do agree about returning to the Sunset Orange color. It's still hard to get a visual of if the wheels will look properly scaled to the car. Can you post some pictures with the tires installed and more lighting? Some guys on the diecast forum have been able to find vendors that have machined them wheels. I'm not sure if you still want to go this route but depending on the cost and if you wanted to create more for the purpose of selling them, you could find out who they went through. Could be worth it just to look into it.
I found some people who could cnc machine what I wanted. The problem was that it was going to cost about $300. Which, with what the machine fittings and goodies already planned are going to cost, would put this build over $1000. I will get some better pics up this evening. One thing Ive learned with model cars is that there two kinds of correct. Technically correct (proper scale measurement) and visually correct. Technically is typically visually small. Visually is typically technically big. I think these wheels would scale out to nearly 22" or more. However, when the tires are compared to those in the new revell gt500 kit, the OD is nearly the same.

I plan to strip the body, take care of a few things that bug me, re-prep for paint and have it sprayed either sunaet orange or cyber grey

Artwork Page