Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-26-2015, 04:04 PM

Default Gbody 5.3L LSA Blown Conversion - Holley Swap Kit - Address your questions thread

Hey Guys,

Been doing a lot of thinking about the direction of my build, where it has gone (repeatedly) and where I really want it to be. Over the last few weeks watching several friends run the road course as well as autocross I have come to the conclusion (that really isn't a revelation) that the twin turbo, 800 RWHP combo is going to be stupid for any real driving experience. I don't want to be afraid of the damn car or have it be unpredictable. Since these are T3 57mm Borg Warners, they should basically light off instantaneously and fry the tires to 5500 then fall on its face. Totally unnecessary and kind stupid for what my goals originally were.

That being said, the twins, the piping and LS3 Vette manifolds, the Moroso engine mounts, car shop 1"set backs and the CTSV oil pan currently on my 5.3L will be up for sale starting now (the CTSV pan has dual 10AN return fittings welded at the front of the pan seen below):

I will update with the for sale link once I list the parts.

So what is the point of this thread? Following along with the Gbody Conversion Thread and the Holley Gbody Conversion Thread on this forum I noticed a reoccurring theme of folks asking if certain parts work with certain combos, etc...most notably "Do Holley/Hooker's headers work with the 1" set-back plates. Before I yank this motor to swap the pan and reinstall the AC box, etc... I will be test fitting the largest set they offer - the 1.875" primary long tubes in stainless:

This will only be able to tell people if it clears the frame but will not answer if it clears the AC box to be perfectly transparent with the readers....but at least it will help.

Once complete I will be yanking the Moroso mounts, swapping oil pans to the 302-2 Holley pan and replacing the motor mounts with the Holley/Prothane combo. I will also most likely be adjusting the location of the trans mount since I had the Holley crossmember working with the 1" setback plates...annoying but will be necessary.

I will be taking pictures and documenting every step of the way for the Swap folks, if I have interference issues....etc...I also promise to make the pics a little less shi*tty than some above...haha.

I am probably going to be using the Holley exhaust too, but with Borla mufflers as I haven't tried them yet (no offense to Holley...just a preference).

The other portion of this build will highlight another reasonably hot topic in this forum - Cathedral heads with the LSA blower! :hump: I am purchasing a set of adapter plates from ThirdGen on this forum and will be slapping an LSA blower on this build. Main reason for this is that I miss this car:

I had to grow up and was going to be a Dad...it was the right choice at the time to get rid of this after 7 months...haha...I'll have another one some day. For now, I plan to recreate this car in the form of a Pro-Touring, LSA blown Cutlass! Here's a rendering to wet the whistle:

OK....think that's it for now. I will be updating this again tonight so stay tuned.

Dave
Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 AM

Looking forward to this one.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:45 AM

I'll be interested to see what you do with the LSA blower.

I've recently been reading about them on ls1tech and following some adapter threads. I think if I was going to use one I'd just put LS3 heads on a 6.0, but I'm interested to see what people do with them on cathedral port heads.

The blowers are cheap used, I'm not sure what all needs to go with them yet though. It might be a good route for my 69 Firebird rather than a turbo.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:55 AM

Okay... That was ridiculous and in an awesome way.

36 minutes.........

That is the time it took me to install Holley's 1.875" stainless headers...on both sides. I pulled the turbos off, manifolds as well, and installed the passenger side first since there is no AC box currently in the way. I dropped this one in from the top. I did cut the ears off my 80e which makes install easier...FYI. Passenger side has an embarrassingly large amount of clearance and is still tucked within frame.

Moroso solid mounts with Car Shop 1" setback plates:

Mounted!!!!!

There is easily an inch or better around everything...better underneath.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 AM

Drivers side was just as easy...just had to bring it up from underneath. Only caution is that near the brake proportioning valve one tube is about .75" to 1" away from a line coming off it, but that is honestly plenty of room and can be increased if you tweak the line a little.

Ok so in summary, I feel pretty good with saying Holley's headers will work with 1" setbacks if you are using the solid mounts for sure. If you are using rubber I believe you will also be fine. I chopped off the ears on my trans prior to this install (previous attempt at fbody header repurposing). If you some how still have the AC box with these mounts (engine will hit suitcase fosho...then I think these headers will not interfere.

I'm honestly a little depressed that I am pulling the engine to install the rest of the holley kit since this setup fits so damn well. Hopefully Reassembly will go just as well!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 AM

Can you get a picture showing how far lower than the frame rails or front cross member do these headers hang?

Thanks...
Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Default Sweet

Looking forward to seeing it done
Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 AM

I'm really curious to see how the LSA blower does on a 5.3. Even more with an LS9 setup on a 5.3 to see what kind of power that can make.