Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 AM

What kind of noise is the clutch making? You still run the LT1 style clutch right?

I ask because my clutch is noisy as well, especially when the pedal is out and trans in neutral. I've decided it is the throw out bearing wobbling back and forth and hitting the clutch fork and decided to live with it.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

The fork is rubbing up against the pressure plate. I also have no hydraulic control over the fork. The pedal is stiff and won't move. I'm going to investigate the hydraulics a little before I pull the trans. However, the fork has been rubbing against the pressure plate for a while. It even did that when I had the engine still in the Formula if I pressed the clutch too far. It went away when I put everything back together and into the TA. It recently came back and was worse than before.

You still liking your clutch, Lance? I'm not sure which direction I'm going yet. I have a Fidanza flywheel now, too. Not sure if I should keep it or go with a billet steel unit. Right now, the car was driving well since I put the 3.90s in the rear. I'm leaning to keep the Fidanza since it does rev well.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 AM

I bet dollars to doughnuts the bolt holding the fork in place has worked loose. Happened to me twice before I blue lock-tighted the crap out of it, been good ever since.

So far so good with my new Mcleod street extreme clutch. I had worries about it at the last event as the engine was over revving on corner exits just like a clutch slipping, but upon video review, it was the posi slipping and spinning just right rear tire instead of both of them.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:52 AM

Thanks Lance. It might be the fork pivot. The fork is very loose even when connected to the throwout bearing. I'll get under there tonight with the flashlight and see how it looks inside.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:30 AM

Here is mine when it loosened up the second time

And after I douched it with locktite and reintalled

You can see this view when you take the slave cylinder off. I initially had to shorten the pivot block when I installed the Ram clutch and I noticed after looking at these pics that I also should have shortened the bolt itself. In the bottom pic the bolt is bottomed out but the block isn't quite up against the trans itself. I have ran it like this for almost two years though, didn't even take it loose when I put the Mcleod clutch in this winter.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:33 PM

After pulling the transmission I found that my throw out bearing had come apart. Clutch is a Luk replacement. I'm using a Fidanza flywheel if that matters. I've got 50k miles on this setup easily. Looks like the flange that rests against and is pushed by the fork sheared off the center section. Any ideas why or how? Just thinking there might be some other cause besides a failed throw out bearing.

Also, it looks like my fork was contacting the pressure plate. I'm guessing this may be a result of the throw out bearing starting to fail before it finally let loose.

Thanks

Old 06-25-2016, 05:16 PM

What are you going back in with? (may have missed it if you already said)

I have an LS7 Luk in mine, so far soo good (although i went through a pplate already, the springs aren't apparently good and don't retrack at sustained 6500rpm, front stretch at Thunder hill.....
Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 AM

Once the new engine is in, I'm not sure. I'm eyeing the Center Force clutches that are offered for the LT1 T56 though. Lance is having good results with his. I have no factory alternatives available since the LS clutch don't work the same way as the LT clutches.

With this current adventure, I think I'm just going to replace the throw out bearing and put the transmission back in. Center Force also make a replacement bearing which isn't easy to find. I wasn't prepared to rebuild the transmission now. I'll start gathering the parts though so I can get to it this fall/winter when I pull everything again. At least that's the plan as of now.

Thanks Mike

Old 06-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSSix View Post
Once the new engine is in, I'm not sure. I'm eyeing the Center Force clutches that are offered for the LT1 T56 though. Lance is having good results with his. I have no factory alternatives available since the LS clutch don't work the same way as the LT clutches.

With this current adventure, I think I'm just going to replace the throw out bearing and put the transmission back in. Center Force also make a replacement bearing which isn't easy to find. I wasn't prepared to rebuild the transmission now. I'll start gathering the parts though so I can get to it this fall/winter when I pull everything again. At least that's the plan as of now.

Thanks Mike
If you have any questions when you're ready to do the clutch, feel free to shoot us a call or PM!
The Following User Says Thank You to Centerforce For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (12-27-2020)
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 PM

Will do. Thank you.I hope to be putting in the throwout bearing that I got from you guys in tomorrow or Sunday.