Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-18-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-it View Post
Wow! Glad to see you back on it. Your build always inspired mine. I changed my speedtech panhard bar set up cuz you. Maybe I'll give the upper coil over adjusters another go. Just seems like so much work to do but what the heck I already have the mounts.

Great job!
Ahmad - Don't do it. Just use the Speedtech mounts you already have on the car. If i had it to do again I would do like you did and simply modify the Speedtech stuff vs starting new. I've done a lot of "optimizing" and doubt there will be any real gain vs the work I've done. Keep the car simple and enjoy it. If you want to cut something up, get a true race car. Thats my new perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Glad to see you back at it...even of its just to get it out of the way for the new toy.

They arent a lot of fun if you dont get to drive/race them occasionally...
The race car needs a few small details to make it right. First event is at the end of January so the 72 will be back in the shop very soon. Hoping to have it driving by March. Life circumstances have changed again, the nagging GF is now gone so I have a lot more time to focus on things once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygblok View Post
hey Steve, I know it's been a LONG time ago that you had the original coil-over's in the car but by chance do you recall what springs you ran? I've got a newly installed Viking conversion in my 70 and have a set of 450# springs and PTFB upper arms(stock gusseted lowers) I see in your original's you only had the adjusters up a few inches and was curious as to the height from center hub to fenderwell. I'm trying to get a baseline on mine right now before I put it back on the ground and by having the adjusters up about three inches it seems like I have much more height than I'd like to have based on lifting from the spring pocket(I know the fulcrum will be further out with the wheel on the spindle but THAT much height?) Really love your build and would love to take my 70 that direction but I also have two other cars eating the fun budget right now! Thanks man and keep moving forward. Awesome stuff! Bill
I'll have to check the springs again. I know I had some 550's on it but not sure if they were the front or what the other springs were. They were the springs recommended by Speedtech with the Ridetech shocks. I don't recall the height of the fender. I basically just set it so it was as low as I could get without rubbing the tires. Nothing calculated, just made it look nice.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=gerno;687469]Ahmad - Don't do it. Just use the Speedtech mounts you already have on the car. If i had it to do again I would do like you did and simply modify the Speedtech stuff vs starting new. I've done a lot of "optimizing" and doubt there will be any real gain vs the work I've done. Keep the car simple and enjoy it. If you want to cut something up, get a true race car. Thats my new perspective.[/QUOTE

Gotcha. Id have to show you pictures of how I did my rear set up. I "grafted" in the panhard bar mount into the original speedtech crossmember.

I was going to do the same for the "dog bone" style adjusters your using but if it's not worth then then I might just leave them as is. I already have them but if there's no benefits then I'll probably take your advice.

I was thinking it would be way easier to jack the car up slightly and be able to adjust ride height from in the trunk.

I literally went out to the garage last night when I saw your updated and started planning it. Im in the same boat as you tho, I just want to drive my car at this point but always see the latest and greatest and want want want.

Last edited by Build-It-Break-it; 12-18-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:34 PM

You emailed me some pics before. I liked the way you grafted it in, smart solution. Just get the car done and drive it.

I also had plans for a street/track cage, custom floors and firewall. At this point I'm seriously thinking screw it all and just get the car back on the road. The end result will be a hybrid of the 2 thoughts. It will be interesting to see how I end up.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Glad to see you're back at it Steve. I started to wonder what happened to you and the car.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

x2 Glad to see you're back on it, Steve. I know that feeling of just wanting to drive the car all too well. Good luck moving forward! Also, good luck with the new green machine!

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 06-09-2019, 10:53 AM

Any updates on either of your Camaros Steve?
Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 AM

No recent updates on the 72. Its sitting on its own wheels again with suspension tacked in.

I've been focused on the Green Machine. Car was completely gutted, cage rewarded properly, engine rebuilt, trans rebuilt, complete new wiring and gauge panel. Not sure there is anything I haven't touched. Lately I have been spending lots of time at the track tuning out bugs and learning to drive again in prep to run NASA CMC next year. Its been a great time so far and NASA guys are so much fun. I really should have never taken the camaro apart... should have just bought a real race car a long time ago

Summer heat is coming soon here in Austin so I'll be done with the track for a few months and plan to get back on the 72. Goal is to have it driving by the end of the year and then start up on the 59 Viking hauler soon after.

Last edited by gerno; 06-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Name:  IMG_1376.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  210.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1377.jpg
Size:  119.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1175.jpg
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1225.jpg
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1234.jpg
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:  57275822310__6391DA06-B0FA-4931-84EC-55E35EDBECE4.jpg
Size:  160.9 KB
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2019, 11:20 AM

Sorry, no clue why the pics are rotating...
Old 06-16-2019, 03:20 AM

Wow looks great Steve. Did you do your own cage?