Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Banned

If you go the route of a LS3 and want a good cam with good street manners/driveability there are much better choices than the Chevy " ASA" cam that is very mild ( 226/236 525/525 110 LSA)
Old 04-01-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcarguy View Post
If you go the route of a LS3 and want a good cam with good street manners/driveability there are much better choices than the Chevy " ASA" cam that is very mild ( 226/236 525/525 110 LSA)
thanks, can you suggest some of the better options for a good street driveable cam
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcarguy View Post
Better options in cams is relative and it goes back to what are you are doing with the car. No question the low lift leaves some power on the table but if squeezing every last HP out of it is not the goal the ASA is worth looking at IMO. The ASA has an amazingly flat torque curve, great idle and can run AC at 1800 rpm on the hwy with out bucking your head off. Dyno chart here
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...ght=dyno+sheet

There is a great sound clip of a 4th gen Camaro with it on youtube here. http://youtu.be/uL1OhyPw9Sw

It is not a good choice if you are going for max power that is for sure. But for what it's worth I chose the Howards version of the ASA cam for my car because I'm going for even manners in the torque curve and reliability. With this cam I never have to worry about changing valve springs or the stress high lift cams put on the drive train. The cam I swapped out to put the ASA in was 227i/239e .600" 112 LSA. It was too peaky in the mid range for my taste and didn't like the AC under 55 in 6th.

I'm not saying the ASA is the best way or right for you but just the way I felt about it.

Last edited by charchri4; 04-03-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM

Easily ls3 crate and enjoy it. I feel like a lot of us get so caught up in numbers and this and that and never get to enjoy their cars including me.

Once my swap Lq9/t56 swap is done, no engine mods for a while and I'm just enjoy the car for a while.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM

Shop around carefully, I found my LQ4 with Magnacharger on www.car-part.com , $1100.00 delivered to my door. The deals are out there. In the meantime a 5.3 with small mods is, in my opinion, a better choice than a typical SBC. Better driveability, fuel economy and overall fun. Lord knows I have had my share of them to make the comparison.