Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-24-2014, 09:11 AM

I just love the GN's, these are still such a bad azz looking car! I have a friend up here in IL that still has his 87, his is a street car but has been in storage for a long time now. Last time at the track it went 9.0 yeah street car!!

Keep it up, I like the wheels on it as well!

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 11-09-2014, 05:01 PM

I had to take a break from the car for a few weeks, but I'm back on it. I knocked out the brake lines today. I still had lines from about the frame rail back and up to the front corners, but I had to get from the new master down to the frame rail. I get better at brake lines each time I do them, but there is still so much room for improvement.

I also installed my coil packs for the XIM addition. I had a belt drive distributor and MSD 7AL2 box on it before. The XIM should be more long distance friendly and removing the distributor frees up room for the accessories.

For the first time since I've owned the car, it has a working parking brake. I had to source all the parts, but it wasn't too hard.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Sweet build man I really like the directions your going. We needs to see moreof these cars built like this.
Project pics of my '69
Camaro Performers Magazine Feature
Old 11-16-2014, 02:42 PM

I got a little done on the trans swap this weekend. My block has a lot of crank centerline offset because of a line hone issue a while back. So, that requires some offset dowel pins. I measured and had .039" runout. That is a .0195" offset. I was going to order a set of offset dowel pins from Robbmc.com, but they were on back order, so I made my own.

While I had the bellhousing on the motor, I measured for the hole for the shifter. This is the minimum I'll need to cut. It may need more cut once the trans is in the car. I'll make a sheet metal cover and put a lower boot from a mustang on the floor once I get it all situated.

McLeod RXT clutch looks like blown apart. They sent me some metric bolts where I needed standard, so I can't put it in just yet.

I mocked up the slave and shifter while it's on the floor.

Last edited by MeanMike; 11-17-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:19 PM

Very well done on your GN transformation. If you don't mind what sizes are you wheels?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM

18x11 and 18x9.5
Old 11-22-2014, 12:22 PM

Clutch is in. I need a trans spacer before I can put the trans in.

Power steering is back on the car. Not real impressive, just a bunch of stock parts, but they work well so why try to improve them.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 PM

This is truly great to see you put this car together, I really hope these cars gain momentum. You and Blake are trend setters and I hope a bigger restoration aftermarket follows for these cars.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:13 PM

Trans spacer came in yesterday and I did a little cutting on it to clear the hydraulic fittings. I had to wait until today for a friend to come over and help me stab it in. The trans by itself is as heavy as a th400. Add the clutch, flywheel and bell housing and It's definitely not saving any weight.

Notice I have also put the quick disconnect back on. I put a clutch in by brothers ford ranger last weekend and that QD setup was a lifesaver. We were able to completely remove the hydraulics from the truck, bench bleed them and then reassemble it on the truck with no issues. It was super easy to bleed like that. So I'm going to buy the McLeod -4 line with the male end of the QD on it instead of a simple hose between the slave and master.

I had to modify my trans crossmember also. I probably have a bit more driveline angle now and the mount is spaced lower than a th400, so I ended up remaking the trans mount.

I got lucky on the shifter placement. It's in the exact same place that my automatic shifter was. It won't take much cutting on the console plate and a nice shifter boot to get that looking good.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:05 PM

I moved the trans up another 1 3/8" and had to remove a lot of trans tunnel.

I've been working on a new cover all day. It's nothing compared to most of teh sheetmetal work I've been lookng at here, but I'm trying. It's mostly done, now I've got to figure out how to mount a piece of rubber sheet and have it hug the shifter for an inner boot. The new tunnel piece couldn't be any wider than this and still fit in the console.