Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 PM

Default 4 link / ladder bar not for street handling?

I am getting more confused on the rear suspension setups

I keep hearing how ladder bars and 4 links bind and dont handle, etc...

How about ladder bar kits that come with bushings, for example, this place:

http://autoweldchassis.com/lb.ivnu

And exactly what kind of binding are we talking about? I want my car to hoook straight but also go around corners and ride normally

ANd what about 3 links? I dont hear much about them nor do i see too many kits for sale.

The autoweldchassis has a ladder bar kit for the street with bushings, the complete bar, panhard, coilovers, mounting bars for like $650, not too shabby
Old 12-19-2005, 09:17 PM

Ladder bars have as much place on a street car as do welded spider gears...no place at all.

The reason you don't see many 3-link kits is that building a 3-link in "kit" form is fairly difficult to do. If you happened to have an early "F" body I think somebody will chime in soon to help you out with that.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:31 PM

its for a 68 roadrunner

I would just do the leaf relocator and some shocks to fit my 18x10s but i thought i would do something a bit more interesting back there

So even ladder bars with urathane bushings on all ends still wont work well on the street?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 PM

Ladder bars in any configuration are the absolute worst possible design for a street car. The effectively lock the rear axle, you might as well run a straight axle in the front as well.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis68
Ladder bars in any configuration are the absolute worst possible design for a street car. The effectively lock the rear axle, you might as well run a straight axle in the front as well.
What he said.. ladder bars are not four links and are more of a pro-street/drag race deal.

Also, there are many different types of 4-links, some are better for handling and some are better for drag racing.

I'm not a Mopar "in the know" guy so I am not sure what is available for your car, but I will tell you it is imperative that you heavily research your options before you pull the trigger or you could end up with a car that does not do what you want it to.

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Agreed,ladder bars are not a great idea on the street and they`re especially bad if you want the car to handle. Think of them as a huge hinge,pivoting on the front heims or bushings. The rear axle can ONLY move straight up and down. It can`t twist side to side to follow the road or allow for any body lean so the car ends up skittering through the turns like a big shopping cart. Not fun (unless you`re a kid with an actual shopping cart then it`s BIG FUN! ).
4 link can work very well though. Most factory 4 links use converging arms with much shorter than optimum upper arms and do indeed have some inherent problems. But if you start with a good adj. aftermarket 4 link you can make it work for you. The main thing is to forget about using the diag. track bar or stubby panhard bar they include with most kits and install a nice long panhard bar roughly the same height as the axle tube centerline (for starters) and perfectly level at ride height. Might as well make the mounts adjustable so you can keep it level even if you change the ride height and so you can raise or lower the rear roll center as a tuning aid.
www.SCandC.com [email protected]
(610) 346-8805