Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

I notice the car rental "joint" serves the MOVIE industry exclusively. No doubt that's why the car is on a salvage title. They probably have a chop shop type operation that just churns out cars to be used in chase scenes or to be "jumped" or whatever else the movie demands. It's not about QUALITY.... it's just a "i need a black XXX car for a week".

I agree with Casey - keep looking. There's just so much more to all of this than "price". Cheap up front can end up being much more expensive within the first month.

The more you SHOP -- the more you'll learn - the more you'll know what is good vs a problem.... and when the right one pops up - you won't even have to ask us. You'll know it!!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Lash View Post
The best advice I could give you would be to have patience. I know you're fired up about buying a car right now, but all of the cars you are looking at are going to have issues.

These guys have all given you great advice and the smartest thing you could do would be to buy a decent completed car from someone: I'm glad you have decided against a project.

I think you should seriously just wait... I know that's not an easy thing to do but a couple years will go by like a shot, and in that time you could up your budget considerably and buy yourself something that you'll be happy with. If I were you I would make it your goal to buy one. Put up a poster of a '71 up on your wall, listen to "Patience" by Guns 'N' Roses once a day and just keep putting money away. You said $50,000 was out of the question. I think you should make it your goal to save and look for a car around $35,000 that someone else put 50 into. I think that's realistic if you just want a decent "stock" build that you'll be happy with and be able to enjoy. But... don't think for a minute that even though you buy a nice one that it will be flawless, because even the $500,000 cars can have issues. It's not a brand new car with a warranty.

Look at the "cars for sale" on here and protouring also. There are stock ones for sale on here and the guys will be way better to deal with than idiots off of craigslist. There are constantly cars up for sale.

Good luck and don't give up
A patient man is always richer than an impatient man. Because he can afford to wait.

This is something I've worked on and it's true. I will say that you can hustle while you wait.

Greg nailed it for once. The more you look and educate yourself, the more apparent the right choice will be. You haven't even looked at a car in person yet, have you?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:22 PM

best thing about waiting.....you can save more cash!

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 08-21-2014, 04:27 AM

Great advice here! I bought a 72 nova in 2007 and was getting stuff done and saving money for parts, then life happened... I met a girl got married and then kids kids and more kids, then the wife got cancer and the car is still sitting there, and due to doctors bills and stuff for the kids my car money has long been gone through. I guess my point is I'm proof that life has a way of throwing you a curve ball, and if it can happen it will. Save your money and buy a done car, or even a newer car, the new z28 will keep up I'm sure. good luck and I wish I would have started this thread before I started my car.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:46 PM

This is one of the best threads I've read on here in a while. The candid feedback is immeasurable from the likes of Weld, Torino, Vince and others. These old cars are a "walletectomy". Simply stated. "Done" cars are not done. Drivers don't drive very long. But they all require wrenching and money for parts, repair, labor, etc. - and as Greg said, double whatever the shop/estimate is to complete the project. There is proof of this in numerous Project Updates on Lateral-G whether done by a shop or DIY'er.

Be patient. Save your cash. Invest wisely. (See Investing 102 thread) Pay yourself first. Buy when you can "afford" to spend. It will be a LOT more fun.

1973 Trans Am "KLRBRD"
1969 Camaro SOLD
2014 Stingray Z51 SOLD

Old 08-22-2014, 06:31 PM

That's the thing about these cars.... people get hung up on initial cost because it's "what they can afford". To which I say -- in that case -- DON'T BUY! Because you truly can't afford it!!

That - and what's "cheap" to someone like Vince - that has a full on restoration shop so he can do his own work... is REAL EXPENSIVE to a guy that doesn't have tools - or a place to work - or skills required to do the work. That means he's paying Vince to do the work and even the simple stuff starts to be real money.

That's why we're all telling you to buy the very best car you can find -- and to keep looking until you find that. It's just not very much fun to set yourself up for major disappointment.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
run it....you'll have a trail car. bring 2 rolls of duct tape, 3 gallons of water, 4 quarts of oil, a case of ATF (Pontiac), bag-o-rags,4 cans of fix-a flat, small floor jack, a pint of old harper, a number 2 pencil, a shovel, 5 lbs bag of sodium hydroxide, a safety flare and your AAA card.
Vinne for the win!!

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
A patient man is always richer than an impatient man. Because he can afford to wait.
You haven't even looked at a car in person yet, have you?
I've looked at a few 71's...most garbage, some not for sale and the others too much $. Having money to wait is different than having time to wait. I already lost what could've been an incredible time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
best thing about waiting.....you can save more cash!
Very true but really not sure "more" will ever be enough.
A few yrs back I actually did have a larger pot saved up and found my dream ride on a site "Collector Motors". I offered $27K cash, it seemed like the Gent was good with it but the Lady in charge was firm at 30K, they let me walk. Below is a pic of the car, I still have a downloaded video of it that I drink a beer to every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom091074 View Post
Great advice here! and I wish I would have started this thread before I started my car.
I'm SOOO happy I asked for advice on this forum. Sorry to hear about your ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichirone View Post
This is one of the best threads I've read on here in a while. The candid feedback is immeasurable. Be patient. Save your cash. Invest wisely.
I'm truly so appreciative for all the experience and hard lessons learned that have been shared. I have been reading the Investing thread and boy is that a good one.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 AM

27K Invested in Apple (AAPL) August 2008 would be worth 100K this August.... Then you'd sell the APPL and buy British Petroleum Prudhoe Bay Trust (BPT) which is paying a 12% dividend and you'd be earning 1,000 PER MONTH on that investment.

I'm being factious here... but it is the truth.

The car.... not so much.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:24 PM

Well it finally happened.

I bought my dream 1971 Firebird. I saw it for sale on Craigslist and I headed out on a 7 hour drive to go see it. I'm very glad I took the chance on the drive...IT'S GORGEOUS! Pics do not do the car justice but I know how everyone likes to see them so...

I want to thank Vega$69 for his time and experience in helping me inspect the vehicle.

I know I'm going to hear all kinds of comments about the wheels...Lol. That's how the car came and that's how I took it. I personally like the rally classic look myself but it is what it is. I'll take gifts & donations if someone has a set laying around.
Attached Images