Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Default Ride Tech or ChassisWorks G-Bar

I know I am a long ways away from needed to worry about rear suspension, but I got to thinking.

I will be replacing the whole underside of my 69 Camaro and though of buying one of these kits to help with the rear frame rail alignment along with the jig I am building. I was leaning toward the Ride tech due to the fact the sides are already welded together unlike the G-bar that is bolted together.

Now I know I cant go off of just that fact for the rear suspension so Id like to here your opinion on which to go with.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Probably the reason you haven't gotten any responses is this question has been asked several times. If you do a search, you will find tons of stuff on the different rear suspension setups that are available. I think you'll find that both systems you mentioned are very comparable and proven to be good setups. It's likely going to come down to personal preference. There are many other options out there also...Speedtech, DSE, Art Morrison to only name a few. Use the search feature and you'll be overwhelmed with information.

Pro Touring 68 Acadian(Nova)
Speedtech subframe with high clearance control arms
Prodigy Bar rear suspension
Ridetech single adjustable coilovers
Wilwood 12.2" brakes
New Gen Splitters
LS3 and TKO600

Link to my build: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=14349

Old 08-20-2014, 04:30 PM

Very true. I have got thru many of the threads.

Guess I was kinda hoping to get a little more insight or thoughts on using one of these kits to help align my new frame rails. Haven't really seen anyone mention this and maybe its for a reason they dont?

From the view and installs I see on here and elsewhere online, It looks like the Chassis Works has some play with the bolt in cross bar where the ride tech is all welded together?

I do plan on using a first gen jig under my car to do most of the alignment on the rear rails, just was using the forum to thinking out loud about have the suspension help me. Or it both these kits have too much play to even bother using for alignment purposes?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS1969 View Post
Very true. I have got thru many of the threads.

Guess I was kinda hoping to get a little more insight or thoughts on using one of these kits to help align my new frame rails. Haven't really seen anyone mention this and maybe its for a reason they dont?

From the view and installs I see on here and elsewhere online, It looks like the Chassis Works has some play with the bolt in cross bar where the ride tech is all welded together?

I do plan on using a first gen jig under my car to do most of the alignment on the rear rails, just was using the forum to thinking out loud about have the suspension help me. Or it both these kits have too much play to even bother using for alignment purposes?
I don't see much value in using these to position the frame rails. It would only be the width and I don't think that is the tricky part. In many cases you have to massage your trunk floor to get the Ridetech (used to be G-Bar) to sit properly on the frame rails so it might actually make things worse. At least that was the case 7 years or so ago when I installed mine.

Don
Old 08-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

The reason that we no longer sell a kit with a completely welded cradle for these cars is that the rails are never in exactly the same place, especially if they have been repaired. The new version fits better and is easier to install.

There is a ton of technical info on the Chassisworks g-Bar system on our website. If you CLICK HERE it will take you to the System Guides section. You can download specific instructions, read data sheets, and download the complete buyers guide.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM

I just installed the Ridetech 4 link in my 69 Camaro. I did have to "massage" the cradle a bit to get it to fit properly (snugly). But given these cars are 45 years old and had variances in manufacturing, it was nothing unexpected. I personally prefer the Ridetech 4 link because it spreads the load of the cradle to 5 different planes (3 different planes on the frame rails, one on the body seam behind the rear seat, and one on the trunk pan). I did have to cut off the front tabs that bolt the cradle to the body seam behind the rear seat and weld them on at a slightly different angle, all in all it was pretty easy. If you are looking for ease in installation, I think the GLink is the way to go. If you don't mind doing a little "fitting", I think the Ridetech kit will make the rear of the car more rigid and is the way to go.

Last edited by Regal454; 08-22-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
I don't see much value in using these to position the frame rails. It would only be the width and I don't think that is the tricky part. In many cases you have to massage your trunk floor to get the Ridetech (used to be G-Bar) to sit properly on the frame rails so it might actually make things worse. At least that was the case 7 years or so ago when I installed mine.

Don
Just to be clear, I am not saying there is anything wrong with either product. I am saying I don't think they are useful tools to locate and align frame rails.

Don