Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 10-14-2016, 03:53 PM

Default 1972 Camaro 18" Fikse wheels, HELP!!!

Hey guys, I'm new to Lateral G! You guys are all awesome and im hoping you can help!

I have a 72 Camaro Z28, It has been dropped 2" all around. Mild set up, CPP control arms, lowered springs and lowered leafs in the back.
I am rolling the rear fenders and plan on beating the seat belt hump with a BFH.
I ordered some Fikse Profil 5S wheels and they showed up yesterday and dont fit!

I got sent: Front 18x8.5 with 6.5 backspace
Rear 18x10 with 6.5 backspace
This didnt seem right, but he said thats what he has done for other camaro's that year....... Anyways they are going to be send back. My question is will 18x10 with 5.5 backspace in the rear and 18x8 with 4.5 backspace fit well?

I have read that 5.75 backspace on rear 10" rim is what I need but they only make then in 1/2"....

Any input would be great! thanks guys!!
Old 10-15-2016, 04:46 PM

Why don't they fit? Where do they hit/rub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggle_55 View Post
Why don't they fit? Where do they hit/rub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are 1/4" from the shock and don't even have tires yet.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:25 AM

Subed for info! Post pics!!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:33 AM

Just my opinion but I would use the wheels that were delivered as a template to measure what changes you need made to them and work with Fikse directly. They should be able to help you. If you already returned them then you should get a tool such as the wheel works or Percy tool. I personally have the wheel works tool and it works great.

People can give you advise but the tolerances on these cars aren't tight and they are very old. Who knows what has happened to them.. Hard to say if all wheels will fit the same. Your best bet is to measure, especially when your buying a high end wheel.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerno View Post
Just my opinion but I would use the wheels that were delivered as a template to measure what changes you need made to them and work with Fikse directly. They should be able to help you. If you already returned them then you should get a tool such as the wheel works or Percy tool. I personally have the wheel works tool and it works great.

People can give you advise but the tolerances on these cars aren't tight and they are very old. Who knows what has happened to them.. Hard to say if all wheels will fit the same. Your best bet is to measure, especially when your buying a high end wheel.
Yes thanks, I used some washers on the rear to push the wheel out and check fitment. The rear is only out by 1/2" but the front 6.5 backspace is way too much. Need a 5".
Old 10-17-2016, 04:10 PM

Here's the wheels. They look amazing just don't fit. I'll upload a pic on the car later for you guys!
Old 10-17-2016, 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=NastyZ;647351]I have read that 5.75 backspace on rear 10" rim is what I need but they only make then in 1/2"....QUOTE]

Fikse makes wheels in 1/8" increments. When you rehoop a wheel you can only rehoop in 1/2" increments. It's true that the wheel halves are only made in 1/2". To be able to do 1/8" increments they machine the backpad of the wheel to match your desired backspacing. If you are being told they can only do 1/2" increments it's because they plan on rehooping the wheels you have. If they can do that and make them fit your car that's great, but if that would compromise your fitment I would make them build you a new wheel that fits your car perfectly. This is all assuming it's their fault your wheels don't fit.

I would do what Gerno said and use those wheels to mock up what you need. I was told to try and get 7/8" clearance on the inside and 3/8" on the outside.

1971 Camaro 416 LT1 Project
Old 10-17-2016, 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=JMitch19;647523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyZ View Post
I have read that 5.75 backspace on rear 10" rim is what I need but they only make then in 1/2"....QUOTE]

Fikse makes wheels in 1/8" increments. When you rehoop a wheel you can only rehoop in 1/2" increments. It's true that the wheel halves are only made in 1/2". To be able to do 1/8" increments they machine the backpad of the wheel to match your desired backspacing. If you are being told they can only do 1/2" increments it's because they plan on rehooping the wheels you have. If they can do that and make them fit your car that's great, but if that would compromise your fitment I would make them build you a new wheel that fits your car perfectly. This is all assuming it's their fault your wheels don't fit.

I would do what Gerno said and use those wheels to mock up what you need. I was told to try and get 7/8" clearance on the inside and 3/8" on the outside.
Ok Jason thanks for your info! I'm going to use them and double check it. The front is tricky because I don't have the engine in the car yet so the suspension is sagged.