Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Default I LOVE that car!

It's great to see a car that looks that good being build to be driven and driven hard! Can you recommend any good books or technical information sources to learn about suspension and chassis design? You certainly know what you're doing and I'd like to be able to do the same thing myself. I can't wait to see your car in action, it looks amazing and well thought out.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Default Technical sources

To answer your question (above), probably the most concise and informative material regarding front suspension geometry can be found in the technical section of Tony Woodward's Precision Power Steering catalog. I think it can be found on line at woodwardsteering.com. His discussions of Ackermann, toe, and bump steer geometry are on the mark and a must for those considering building their own front suspension. The front suspension geometry (and its ability to perform effectively) are heavily based on the relationship of the end of the rack (or drag link) and the tie rod end of the steering arm. The tie rod needs to swing in an arc that is complimentary to the arcs of the control arms; therefore tie rod length and angle (up or down at one end or the other) dramatically effective bump steer. I have seen a couple of aftermarket suspensions that have the wheels straight ahead at rest, but toe in or out as much as 2 inches with full bump or droop. Problems like this can become severe when the track width is changed and the rack length is not -- the result is a tie rod that is too long or short which causes bump steer. Mr. Woodward's technical information gives a great explanation of these and other suspension geometry considerations.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM

killer car man!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 AM

DAMN!!!!!!!!! thats is one bad azz vette! youve got some MAJOR skills!

are you in vegas or AZ, the houses/surroundings definitely look to be from one of the two.

1970 1/2 rs z28...pro-touring?...i wish...soon?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:35 PM

what did you use for those link bars that connect/support the lower spoiler to the bumper cover?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:59 PM

Default Splitter Braces

Olds

Those are spoiler/splitter braces sold by Joes Racing Products ()(www.joesracing.com). They make some pretty trick stuff. The braces were the lightest and most aerodynamic that I have been able to find.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfain View Post
Olds

Those are spoiler/splitter braces sold by Joes Racing Products ()(www.joesracing.com). They make some pretty trick stuff. The braces were the lightest and most aerodynamic that I have been able to find.
I like those, I might use them on my front or rear spoiler in the future. Very nice car by the way