Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I don't have a great picture of what I did but I re used the top and just added to it where it was needed.
A picture is worth a 1000 words.. maybe.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 AM

Thanks good to see how you did yours. The piece in front is really beat up on my car. It looks like every engine swap the transmission was smashed into the bottom of the floor and also a little clearance work with a big hammer. I saved it to do what you have done but I am not sure I can straighten it.

Scott
Old 02-17-2015, 09:03 AM

Default Diggin it so far

love the fab work involved
Old 03-01-2015, 11:51 PM

Default A little more work on the tunnel

Just a short update. I didn’t have a lot of time this weekend but plugged away TIG welding the tunnel extension. I decided to use TIG so I could practice my hammer welding. It was worth the effort because I got better and faster as I went along. Also filled a couple holes and repaired the ragged edge that tore when I drilled out the spot welds incompletely.
I welded it as uniform as I could and then used the bench as an anvil to hammer if flat.

I cut the weld bead down with the edge of a cutoff wheel, hit it with a die grinder and 80 grit, then smoothed it a little with the DA sander and 80 grit. It is a little wavy but not too bad.

I need to work on my organization. I got the bench so messy I couldn’t work and had to stop and clean.

Then moved on to the ragged edge. I just chopped it out and trimmed in a new piece.

Overall it came out pretty good. Passenger side is better because I did it second. It will all be under carpet and the bottom side will smooth out with just a tiny bit of filler.
I still need to figure out what to do with the shifter. The extra two gears use up more room and hits the console insert in the 1-2 gate and also going into reverse on the other side.

I can countersink the fasteners but that isn’t going to be enough. It would be better if someone made a wider insert. Anyone know where to get one? Some of the shifters have a shorter attachment, but I know other people on this site have had leaking problems with aftermarket shifters, which makes me want to keep the Tremec if possible. If anyone has solved this I would like to see your stock console solution. It is probably easy and I am just missing something !!

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Cool

The tunnel came out nice! Keep at it ....

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:37 PM

Default Got a little tanked tonight !

Brown Santa brought a nice present from Rick’s tonight. I really like the looks of the stamped tank and have been waiting for the production to kick in. This has the ZL-1 kit, corner pickups and sending unit. Vaporworx controller is on the way via drop ship. Overall very pleased with the design and hope it works as well as it looks !

Here is a size comparison with the stock tank.

And the side view

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 PM

Cool

Nice score .... Is that new to Rick's? That's really cool, where did you get it?

Let the house go .... NEVER give up your car!!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 PM

I just called Rick's after seeing a post about this on Facebook.That was about the first of the year and they said mid-to-late February. I checked back a week or so ago and they are shipping out, so I placed the order. It has the sort of "resto" look to it that I liked a bit better than stainless. If it works well I think they will sell a bunch of them. Good for them !!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:17 PM

The tank looks very good! I would love to see pictures of it in the car from the rear, I hate how the stainless ones stick out. Even painted black to me they look a loaded diaper hanging underneath the car. If this doesn't look like that my stainless one will be up for sale!
I enjoy your posts by the way
Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 PM

Default Killing a few minutes before bed !

Just messing around trying to figure out what this tunnel transition piece will look like. I think I am going to keep it simple and make something like this. Need to wrap this project up before I get stuck in sheet metal quicksand!!

Here is the front piece I need to make. I am pretty sure this is the ugliest stamped piece I have ever seen - anywhere ! The wrinkles even have wrinkles.

I probably can’t fabricate it from scratch with 2 x 4s and large hammers. I am thinking about having a local sheet metal shop roll the edge bead and then I can wrap it around some pipe or something.

Searching I found this nice piece from Bowler, they package and sell them as a kit but said I could get just the front piece in few weeks when the next next production is complete. That was nice of them to offer. I will probably just work my way through this on my own. But it is still a pretty nice piece and probably would have saved me some time.

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:24 AM.