Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Hey Duston,

I love the fact that you cut the fenders. Now go back and cut them a few more inches.

Here is the rendering that Bob Thrash did for me on the front fender modification. Which I think would work perfectly on your car.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 02-18-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 Z/28 View Post
I really like the direction you are going and those new wheels are perfect. You should fab up a front splitter to compliment the spoiler you're planning. Good luck in the upcoming events you're planning on attending.
Thanks! Splitter has been on my mind, but I don't know that we can legally do anything besides a stock Z/28 style and still be USCA-legal. It's going to be a stretch to get anything aero-wise done in time for the Texas event either way, but I need to dig up some clarification on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
That sectioning idea is crazy cool! It would take some planning to make the grill work right on a rubber nose, but it could be done.

The cut we did could definitely be opened up and brought all the way up to the crease and look better straight on from the side, but it's so low and tucked under it's hardly noticeable as is. Combined with the fact that we're just touching up the paint on the edge down there vs. getting them re-sprayed (our paint guy doesn't need any tradeouts right now, sadly), it has to stay like this for a while.

Eventually I'd like to build some custom lower arms and bring the lower ball joint forward a bit - with the caster we're running the wheel sits farther back in the opening than it should. But that's a ways off..
Shutterspeed Photo/Design
Old 02-18-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver63c10 View Post
Thanks! Splitter has been on my mind, but I don't know that we can legally do anything besides a stock Z/28 style and still be USCA-legal. It's going to be a stretch to get anything aero-wise done in time for the Texas event either way, but I need to dig up some clarification on it..
The way they worded their rulebook confused a lot of people. You can run a custom splitter, side skirts, diffuser etc. Anything you want. They are just limiting the size and dimensions of the rear spoilers or wings. I talked with an official about it because I am doing similar things with my '69. I think a satin black front splitter and NASCAR blade style rear spoiler would look great on this car.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 Z/28 View Post
The way they worded their rulebook confused a lot of people. You can run a custom splitter, side skirts, diffuser etc. Anything you want. They are just limiting the size and dimensions of the rear spoilers or wings. I talked with an official about it because I am doing similar things with my '69. I think a satin black front splitter and NASCAR blade style rear spoiler would look great on this car.
Interesting. Yeah, the way it's worded it sounds like if it's not factory it's out. I think I'm too used to SCCA rules that are overly specific..

A blade type deal is pretty much what we have in mind on the spoiler, just a matter of finding the cleanest/simplest way to do it. We've got a second decklid and factory Z/28 spoiler that will probably be the base for everything, but still thinking on it.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:36 PM

Car looks good. I have planned on running the 315/30/18 Falkens on all 4 corners of my TA. They look taller and better than I thought they would.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

awesome build, love to see another guy rocking a c10 and a camaro
The military doesn't pay nearly what it should
http://someminorassemblyrequired.blogspot.com
Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharpe View Post
Car looks good. I have planned on running the 315/30/18 Falkens on all 4 corners of my TA. They look taller and better than I thought they would.
Thanks! Purely for looks it should really be a little bit lower, but we would run into massive rub issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
awesome build, love to see another guy rocking a c10 and a camaro
Thanks! We can't all have such good taste, haha.

Soo, trip 1 for the season didn't go to plan. The forecast was hit or miss all week, and as we got closer it was apparent that we would need some luck on the run order to get a dry session (as we all know, the best way to ensure perfect weather is to leave the car at home). Sure enough, our luck held true to form and we drew last group, running during the heaviest rain of the day.

With no wipers, and the goal being to learn a bit about the changes to our setup, it just wasn't possible or logical to try to run it, so we hopped into the Z and splish-splashed some of the slowest, driftiest runs of the day.

Next up is an event with a different club at the same venue next weekend, hopefully Mother Nature will play ball this time.

In other news, I went ahead and took the plunge and registered for the USCA event at TMS. The car is a giant question mark, but if worse comes to worse I'll stuff the 315s under the Z and just drive it

Was pretty bummed to miss out on this last year, especially after hearing how much track time everyone got, so I'm pretty excited. Hopefully the beast will cooperate..
Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 AM

Success! Outing two was much better, thanks to fancy modern conveniences like: Windshield wipers!

On to the play in a second, first up was some shop time Saturday. The fiberglass hood has a lip all the way around that prevented the wipers from moving, so that was the first item on the list. To the bodysaw, again..

After a few times on and off and some extra trimming, things were motivating properly. Seeing in the rain: check.

On to issues of slightly less pressing importance: aero. A spoiler has always been a part of the plan, and getting it on before Optima would be lovely, so we nabbed some posterboard and started the mockup process.

This measures 8" high in the center, and will be mounted on piano hinge with adjustable struts running forward about the way the tape is done for support.

So we registered for outing 2 a while back, and of course the weather forecast deteriorated all week, leading up to morning showers the day of the event. I was hopeful of getting some dry runs in, and thankfully the rain moved out and provided a mostly dry session in the afternoon.

The only minor issue was some tire rub on the drivers side front under load, but some, ahem, finessing, with a small crescent wrench and a big hammer between sessions seems to have solved the problem.

Don't throw away your inner fenders, kids!

One of the best reactions the underhood scene has received - guy who tech'd us asks 'Where's all the rest of the stuff that's supposed to be under here??'

And finally, video of the fastest run, which was good for 3rd in class behind a Z06 and an M3 (I'll take that!).

I've got a lot of work to do on my driving. I'm still overcompensating for the differences from my 350Z, which results in a lot of overdriving and anticipating some of the more evil things that it thankfully doesn't do anymore.

The drastic increase in swaybar stiffness, combined with adjusting the uppers in the front has calmed the car down drastically. There's very, very little roll side to side, and it seems to have cured the front dive/rear end hike under braking as well. Much more responsive turning, and way more predictable through the corner.

Super excited to get some warm dry pavement under it - I think it's going to be a ton of fun once I get caught up to it.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:54 PM

Love the car.It's cool that you pretty much do everything with it.My question is with front wheel & tire combo.How much clearance do you have near the control arms, sway bar & frame etc. at full lock?

Mike,
Old 03-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Default 78 Camaro

Just wondering what offsets you
have on the 18" wheels

Thanks. Bob