Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Artwork and Collectibles
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

keep posting

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 AM

I will keep it updated as I get progress completed. I am still working on organizing my new hobby space. My wheels arrived at the machinist over the weekend. Hopefully in the next month or so I will have a set of wheels to start working on the suspension!

Artwork Page
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2002ls View Post
3D printing.

Essentially, you create a 3D file, CAD/Solidworks drawing. Send it to someone and they print it in plastic. The machine essentially uses plastic wire to "print" the part!

It has been a while since I've done a cost analysis on wheels. The lats time I got an estimate to do it start to finish, sleeves centers and all was $250-300. For just sleeves, I would like to think I could get them done for $50 or so. but I'm afraid its going to end up closer to $100. Tires, to get them printed, it should only cost $20-30. I would get a pair of each printed so that they could be molded in pairs. I've heard rumors of the capability to print in rubber. That would make it much easier. Anyway, once I got the 3D prints, I would send them to someone to make molds. I know some people who create and sell resin copies of parts for the large scale models. I would essentially pay for the mold to be done and leave them with them and work out some deal to allow them to sell them. Typically molds cost anywhere from $50-200+
Man, that's about $7,500 for the set of wheels at 1:25 dollar scale, lol. Impressive detail throughout.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 PM

Well, time for an update on this thing. Thanks to 3D printing, I'm finally making some progress and getting excited about this thing. I originally started it with intentions of building something real close to Bad Penny. Then I noticed the paint issue and went solid black. Well, we are back to sunset orange metallic! I've added some CF parts (decals) just to give it a different look. Think auto cross.

I've also finally got a good, scale, LS engine. I'm trying to decide if I should go twin turbo or whipple. I'm leaning towards the whipple to try and keep the project moving and the costs down (all 3d printed parts).

and for size reference:

I'm still fighting with the wheels. That has been a perpetual battle. I finally found someone to machine sleeves for the wheels I drew in Solid Works. Unfortunately, the finished product was not what I was looking for, and they ended up WAY too big. What is shown in the pictures above, are the wheels I'm planning to go with. A design I drew up in solid works. The "sleeves" are also printed and painted with a molotow chrome pen, to see how it turned out.

Look for more updates coming soon!

Artwork Page
Old 06-23-2017, 08:50 AM

So cool and I think you should go Whipple.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
So cool and I think you should go Whipple.
That is the way I am leaning. It will save $100-200 in parts cost, between the turbo's (whether I have them printed or make molds of the masters that I created), machined fittings, braided line, etc.

I'll be ordering parts this weekend. I need to go through the resin parts I have for the engine/transmission and see what all I want to use and what I want to replace. I'm hoping to have all of the major engine parts in a couple of weeks so that I can get it assembled and start detailing it.

Artwork Page
Old 06-23-2017, 09:44 AM

This project is killer awesome!
PLEASE keep posting!
I too would go whipple
Old 06-23-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572Camaro View Post
This project is killer awesome!
PLEASE keep posting!
I too would go whipple
Thanks. It's been going off and on for about a decade. I'm hoping with the new availability of parts, I can keep the momentum going.

The cool thing about those 3D printed parts, the guy that created the LS3 has a full set of internals too. It would make a sweet little diorama. The down side is the cost. The fine detail material gets to be super expensive.

Artwork Page
Old 06-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black2002ls View Post
The cool thing about those 3D printed parts, the guy that created the LS3 has a full set of internals too. It would make a sweet little diorama. The down side is the cost. The fine detail material gets to be super expensive.
Just curious what would they cost ??

Old 06-23-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Just curious what would they cost ??
1/8th scale, with the way he has everything listed in his store, about $200 for the parts. This is with the majority of the prints being in material that leaves a lot of texture. This is ok for the block if you are going for a factory cast look. If you want a machined, LSx look, it would need to be printed in the high def material which drastically increases the price. The other parts can be smoothed, though it would take quite a bit of work.

I know he prints 1/4 scale parts, though he prints those in house and I don't have a price on that. I could get a price if you were interested in a scale LSx diorama for a desk piece or something.

Edit: That total cost could probably be reduced if I had him put it into the store as a "kit" with all of the pieces in one file to print, that could reduce the cost.

Artwork Page

Last edited by black2002ls; 06-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.