Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Amazing job on the exhaust,can I bring you another one?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 AM

Thanks but the exhaust almost single-handedly killed my project progress. If you take it on I will give you pointers though. Number one buy a powerful belt sander. I wasted way too much time hand trimming everything.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 AM

Default Hing braces, clutch pedal and Finch vent.

I messed around in the trunk until I got tired of it then worked on the clutch linkage for a while, then back to the trunk.
I finally installed the Finch vent for the diff. and gas tank. It came with a nice metal template so just put that down, drill the holes and use the step drill to get everything enlarged to size.

I think it looks really clean from the bottom. Still don’t have the hoses yet.

I decided not the cut the cultch rod shaft down like DSE recommended. By fabbing a tab if I ever need a new one it will be easy to find at any dealer. I just tacked it in place for now. When I get the clutch in I can check the travel and feel. It looks pretty good so far.

I also picked a spot for the clutch master reservoir. I just clecoed it in place for now. When I get everything else positioned and it still looks good I will permanently mount it.

I have had the trunk hinge braces hanging around for over a year and still haven’t fit them up. I decided I may lose them at this pace. They get cut down about ¾ inch but the angle is all wrong with the new tubs and also one of the feet is at the wrong angle with the wider tubs. After I cut the first one down and it didn’t fit I was wondering if there is a better way to get them to fit. This weekend I just gave up on thinking and cut and pieced them back together so everything lines up. It was probably a waste of time for such a simple non-visible component but I think they came out OK.

They are ready to weld. Next time I crawl back in the trunk I will plug weld them in.

Next week work on the fuel line for sure!

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:08 AM

Default Finishing braces, starting fuel line

I didn’t get that much done this weekend, some progress last weekend and a little during the week. I finished up the trunk braces. Tried something new and cut some slugs with the Rotabroach to fill in the large holes from drilling the spot welds. I am not sure it was worth the effort, but it is always good to try something new. The braces came out OK.

I decided to lay the old fuel line in there to see where the new stainless one will run. I already knew I was going to have to notch the subframe connector.

I had this old tube laying around so I cut it in. I will weld it and cut the top off probably this week. I may fab a cover also.

I started bending the fuel line. The bends came out OK even though I am not really happy with the overall fit yet. I made a couple of small mistakes and a tighter bend radius would have been helpful.

I will tweak the bends some more and see if I can improve the fit. If not, I may cut and weld to improve, or maybe start over, still not sure.
I will keep plugging away on the fuel line this week.

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowProgress View Post
I didn’t get that much done this weekend, some progress last weekend and a little during the week. I finished up the trunk braces. Tried something new and cut some slugs with the Rotabroach to fill in the large holes from drilling the spot welds. I am not sure it was worth the effort, but it is always good to try something new. The braces came out OK.

I decided to lay the old fuel line in there to see where the new stainless one will run. I already knew I was going to have to notch the subframe connector.

I had this old tube laying around so I cut it in. I will weld it and cut the top off probably this week. I may fab a cover also.

I started bending the fuel line. The bends came out OK even though I am not really happy with the overall fit yet. I made a couple of small mistakes and a tighter bend radius would have been helpful.

I will tweak the bends some more and see if I can improve the fit. If not, I may cut and weld to improve, or maybe start over, still not sure.
I will keep plugging away on the fuel line this week.
Glad to see you notching the connector to run the fuel line. Many builds I see the fuel line hanging beneath this spot, and it would be too easy for some trash in the road to fly up and take the line out. Great idea!
Car is looking great! Mad skills!
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Looking good! I approve of the notch for the fuel line. It works well in my opinion if you're not having to make a radical fuel system. Keep up the great work1

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 PM

Nice fix, that will definitely stiffen that up. The plate will be icing on the cake.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:15 AM

This thing is really starting to take shape.
Nice work, attention to detail. Outstanding.

83 Chevy c10
Old 05-11-2017, 11:56 PM

Default Finished Fuel Line (mostly)

I got the ½ fuel line all hacked into shape. It has some warts and bruises but looks pretty good overall. Here are a few photos of the progress.
I had to make a couple of brackets to support the flex tube and keep pressure off the plastic gas tank fitting.

I made a couple of stupid mistakes bending the first line and it was too close to the exhaust. So I started over and the second one came out much better.

Here is the flex line all connected between the brackets.

I put in rivnuts where there was double wall and they wouldn’t poke through the inside. I may have to add a couple more later. I haven’t decided if I will stick with this style line clamp?

The fuel strainer needed some support but there was no place to put a rivnut without going through the inside. I just made a little box and spotted it in place for a support clamp location. It worked out well the filter is secure now.

I just routed the line into the engine bay but it isn't finished until I know more about where the flex line will be

One thing I was thinking I should have kept all my paper patterns. It would have been fun at the end to hang all those on a nail as a reminder how far I have come. Too late now but I think it is a good idea for someone just starting.

I dug the old brake lines out to give me ideas and next week I will start on the stainless brake lines. I have my brake tubing on order from Classic Tube. This weekend I will just do a little clean-up and planning, maybe prepare the old tubes as patterns so I hit the ground running when my stainless is here?

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:19 PM

I love all the custom touches your doing, It's looking really good. Nice work.