Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 04-02-2017, 03:46 PM

Default 1970 Camaro RS- looking for alittle help

I just bought a 70 RS Camaro with a 406sbc and tremec 5 spd. I have always been interested in pro-touring cars and would love do some things to this car.

I am hesitant to cut into the car because it is so perfect (ie mini tub or floor-pan modifications). It was recently restored and practically every nut and bolt is brand new.

There are so many options out there that I am getting a little overwhelmed/deer in the headlights trying to decided. I am looking for great road manners and maybe 2-3 times a year at the track/road course.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

I plan on building something more extreme in the next couple years that I can go crazy with.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:50 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

you don't need to cut into your car to make a nice Pro-Touring car

here's my '73 everything was Bolt-On

Old 04-03-2017, 05:32 PM

Speedtech

1971 Firebird - Speedtech Extreme Subframe/Torque Arm, LS3/4L80E, 19x12/18x10 Budniks
Old 04-03-2017, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the response patriot68

Mike
Old 04-03-2017, 10:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

There's a lot you can do with just bolt on components from various manufacturers like SpeedTech, BMR, and Detroit Speed. I'm sure there are others, too. Check the side bar for the various sponsors and their offerings.

The best thing to do will be to get a system that works together so that the components compliment each other. That means getting shocks that work with the spring rates you're running. Making sure your spring rates front and rear match your driving style, conditions, and tires among other things. Don't be afraid to contact the vendors and see what they recommend. Be very honest with yourself and them about the goals of the car. I think you are so really it's just finding what's in your budget and meets your needs.

My suggestion: better springs and shocks all around. Larger sway bars front and rear. Better upper control arms. Upgraded brakes front and rear. You can use another set of spindles to modify for the brakes instead of your current ones. Possibly upgraded steering box. Finally, good rims and tires.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 04-04-2017, 02:10 PM

Trey,

Thanks so much. That is great advice and I will definitely do those things.

Mike
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I'll add a few more options here as well. We have several bolt-on options that you could look into.

Our new StreetGrip kit:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/1970-1...ip-system.html

In this particular kit, the package is put together with a factory style suspension that bolts into the factory locations in the front and rear. On the front, we use a dual rate coil spring, rebound adjustable monotube shocks, delrin bushings, a bigger sway bar (also has delrin lined bushings), and tall ball joints to create a very nice ride quality/handling. On the rear, we have use a set of composite leaf springs. They take away alot of unsprung weight which helps the ride quality tremendously. We pair them up with another set of the HQ series shocks to help control the dampening in the rear. This kit works great on something that you're wanting to turn into a nice driver!

Level 2 coilover kit:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/product-3283.html

Our level two coilover kit is also designed for a 2" dropped stance while staying as bolt-on as possible. We build tubular control arms for the front to work with our Fox monotube coilovers. On the rear, we have a bolt on four link that allows much better movement than the factory leaf setup. Out of the box, the kit is built for more of a streetcar feel but we could always bump up the spring rates for more handling oriented driving. The only thing that needs to be welded on this kit are the tabs (on the rear end housing) for the upper control arms to mount to.

Let me know if you have any questions!