Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password

Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
If it was easy it wouldn't be worth it.

Hurst Drivelines was exceptional for my purchase. APT.....I did business with them on a shifter, NO way would trust them with a trans deal.

Regarding cost......after you drive it 3K miles you won't care........and I'll guarantee the difference is much less than buying and installing a TKO and then taking it out and installing a T56.
Would never do buisness with APT ever again !!!! Bowler!! or Hurst can't go wrong.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
No question, driver and installation error.
I remember from Todd's thread that he was very meticulous when he installed the TKO and even went so far as to rebuild the trans to improve some of its inherent flaws. If I remember right he's a trained technician too, so I suspect the install was better than spec.

I would chalk your disagreement on this with him up to a matter of opinion, not something that you did right and he did wrong.

For what it's worth, I don't have problems with my TKO, but it's all relative as it's far superior to the M21 I had before...I'm going to avoid driving a T56 as that will probably make me hate the TKO I currently have, lol.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
No question, driver and installation error.

1. A transmission doesn't burn up clutches or cause clutch release problems
2. Most shifting issues are caused by clutch or bell-housing alignment.
3. The shifting feel was really no different than a Muncie or t-10 (so they suck too?)

I have had my TKO for a few years and has been a flawless transmission. The ONLY reason I want a Magnum is for 6th gear (.50). I went with the TKO initially, is because I had an OEM T56 and too much cutting. TKO was supposed to be a no cut option....but wasn't.
We all have different levels of expectations and applications. The truth of the matter is they are a fine transmission for a mild application where high rpm/quick shifting isn't important. They are old technology and many agree with me. Especially if they have driven a t56 or many foreign manuals.

It's human nature to defend and sell what they possess. I understand that. Let us know what you think AFTER you drive a 56 mag.

My car had an aluminum 666hp big block with an aluminum flywheel that would zing to 6800. The trans didn't have a chance.

Thanks for the defense guys. It was installed correctly.

Still belongs in a UPS truck from my perspective.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnight View Post
I remember from Todd's thread that he was very meticulous when he installed the TKO and even went so far as to rebuild the trans to improve some of its inherent flaws. If I remember right he's a trained technician too, so I suspect the install was better than spec.

I would chalk your disagreement on this with him up to a matter of opinion, not something that you did right and he did wrong.

For what it's worth, I don't have problems with my TKO, but it's all relative as it's far superior to the M21 I had before...I'm going to avoid driving a T56 as that will probably make me hate the TKO I currently have, lol.
Yeah, I didn't mean to be so "period-dot" . I know many people had shift problems with their trans (which I did too). I didn't align the bell-housing either. When I pulled the SBC and installed the LS, I was very meticulous too which it was off and corrected to near perfect. I shifted it at the 6800 rpms with no problems. When I destroyed a clutch I pulled it again and has a Tremec dealer go through it and install carbon fiber blocker rings, they said the trans was in perfect condition. Its been a nice little tranny, but Im sure the T56 since its OEM design will be a much smoother shifting trans.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebuster29 View Post
Im restoring my 68 Firebird and I just ordered a 550hp LS3. Im looking to buy a TKO600 with all the upgraded goodies for the conversion to the higher HP LS motor. Where is the best place to order from? Good reputation desired
We have both kits in stock for fast shipping with no deposit required to order.

With 500+ LS power, I'd go T56 Magnum for sure and they're not that much more compared to a modified TKO. Unless you're using shorter subframe mounts, tunnel mods shouldn't be required.

Jeff
2250 Stock Creek Blvd.
Rockford, TN 37853
Web: www.shiftsst.com
Email: [email protected]
Old 10-23-2014, 02:11 PM

Ive decided to just do the extra work and pull back out the interior and cut out the dymat, and just mod the tunnel! So T56 mag it is...
Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 PM

Smart move..