Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Default Detroit Speed VS CAChassisWork

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum and hopefully its not going to be the last .

My cousin has a 1967 Mustang coupe. It was restored couple of years a go. the car now has a 302 engine in it and almost everything is stock. it has an A/C, Power Brakes, C4 transmission.. nothing really fancy.

I am about to rebuilt his Mustang again. but this time I was thinking to make it a WOW car. Coyote 5.0 engine (thinking the supercharged one), Auto transmission (Performance Automatic's Street Smart 4R70W package or new C4). upgraded front/rear suspension..etc.

My questions are: can you guys help me choosing the following?

1) what Auto transmission work best with a supercharged Coyote?
2) what Brand of suspension should I go with? Speed Detroit? CAchassiswork? ...etc?

I am looking for Quality, Price is not important (to some extend). By Front/Rear Suspension, I mean everything up to the brakes. I will get the wheels based on the manufacturer recommended sizes. Build time is not an issue, as long as the end product will be a WOW one.

The intention is to make it as a street car with a traffic light to traffic light sort of racing. Gas mileage is not an Issue (we pay ~$1.1 per gallon of the best fuel I believe its 95 or 97 octane).

I did some research on both DSE and CAChassiswork and both of them looks great. Great info online. However, I am looking for someone experience. It is going to be my First rebuild. the only experience I have is that I built an MK4 from Factory Five Racing.

Any info or comment will be appreciated, any other brands is also welcome.
for your time

Hakeem

Last edited by Hakeem; 10-20-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added in Bold
Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM

I don't have any personal experience with mustangs, but I do know that Mike Maier would be the best person to talk to about that stuff.

I do however have some experience with Detroit Speed, and can tell you that their customer service is top notch. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:49 PM

Yep, Mike Maier at Mike Maier inc. is who I'd talk with. His new front suspension will fit a coyote motor and is arguably the best handling suspension available for early year Mustangs. If all goes well, there should be a car with Mike's front and rear suspension at SEMA with a coyote engine between the shock towers.

As far as automatic transmission I'm not sure I understand the question...
Old 10-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Maier and Detroit Speed both offer a quality, high end product. They are slightly different in their aims though. Detroit Speed draws on many influences from the owner's experience at GM. They builds modern suspension components designed to provide vastly improved handling and refinement, They have the best construction quality of just about anything available on the aftermarket, and use many OEM manufacturing processes. Their subframes' frame rails are hydroformed, and their Mustang K member is cast aluminum. Mike Maier has a different background - racing. He also builds and sells great parts which have more of an emphasis on all out performance with more adjustability to be able to fine tune your vehicle for a particular driving style, preference, or track.

As for the automatic, you'll have to do a little research on which engine and transmission control units will work. I know an automatic rules out the use of the Ford Racing wiring harness and PCM, but don't really know what would work.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakeem View Post
...(we pay ~$1.1 per gallon of the best fuel I believe its 95 or 97 octane).

What I wanna know is how can I get some of that $1 per gallon of 97 octane gas shipped over here in 5 gallon drums.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:43 AM

Plus 1 for the Detroit Speed setup!

I was fortunate enough to go around Charlotte Motor Speedway at the Mustang 50th this April with Kyle Tucker in the 66 Mustang Test car. We hit 167MPH on the back straight and took one of the high banked corners at 120MPH, yes thats right 120MPH - I couldn't see straight! It was friggen awesome haha Their suspension truly works!

Kyle and Stacy are first class people and they have a very solid business. I have their Quadra Link in my 67 fastback with Roushcharged coyote (will be driveable next summer finally) and the only reason I don't have their setup in the front is because at the time I bought my front clip they didn't offer anything (Running a Roadster Shop IFS front clip)

The only thing I can say is their Sales team is still very new to the Mustang stuff and as such, its seems as though there are only a couple guys really knowledgeable on the Ford stuff. I'm sure this will only get better as they continue to develop Mustang/Ford stuff.

Anyways, hope that helps!
Good luck with your project
Old 10-23-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.A View Post
As for the automatic, you'll have to do a little research on which engine and transmission control units will work. I know an automatic rules out the use of the Ford Racing wiring harness and PCM, but don't really know what would work.
Thanks Matt.A for your reply.

I said Auto because I read in this article (https://www.fordracingparts.com/down..._July_2013.pdf) " [A popular street automatic-trans solution is Performance Automatic’s Street Smart 4R70W package, which includes its Smart Shift stand-alone trans controller, a custom torque converter, a dipstick/filler tube, a trans wiring harness, a block-plate, a compatible 5.0L TI-VCT flexplate, and all necessary hardware. It’s good to 650 hp and has a lifetime warranty." So I hope it will work :S.

Hakeem
Old 10-23-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
What I wanna know is how can I get some of that $1 per gallon of 97 octane gas shipped over here in 5 gallon drums.
LOL! We are not allowed to ship it . and believe it or not, we pay more for a gallon of water than we pay for a gallon of GAS!

Hakeem
Old 10-23-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArisESQ View Post
I don't have any personal experience with mustangs, but I do know that Mike Maier would be the best person to talk to about that stuff.

I do however have some experience with Detroit Speed, and can tell you that their customer service is top notch. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetly View Post
Yep, Mike Maier at Mike Maier inc. is who I'd talk with. His new front suspension will fit a coyote motor and is arguably the best handling suspension available for early year Mustangs. If all goes well, there should be a car with Mike's front and rear suspension at SEMA with a coyote engine between the shock towers.

As far as automatic transmission I'm not sure I understand the question...
Quote:
LOL! We are not allowed to ship it . and believe it or not, we pay more for a gallon of water than we pay for a gallon of GAS!
I tried to google the name and I got his facebook account. unfortunately I dont have facebook. any body know their website? or their email address??

Thanks

Hakeem
Old 10-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

Quote:
I tried to google the name and I got his facebook account. unfortunately I dont have facebook. any body know their website? or their email address??

Thanks
https://lateral-g.net/forums/member.php4?u=22719

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/