Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD Automotive View Post

That's bad ass Craig!!! I did that once to a 56 Chevy --- I had found a brand new controller that was also an A/C car.... it was a big job to convert - and then a few years later they came out with all the electronic stuff and micro switches.... Was way cool to use the factory A/C and Heat control.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSpeed View Post
Great to hear. Thankful your are getting good progress. We use vintage air in everything with great success. We have managed to get a Gen IV in about everything and always end up with 34 degree vent temp. The things a lot of people not attack is, keeping heat out. Making sure that the only way the air gets through the condenser is to block all other outlets and lastly proper fan shroud. Being in Florida and building daily drivers is our forte. Proper firewall insulation, door gaskets and window fitment and gaskets, all while maintaining a look of yesteryear is a big job but also pays off in big dividends. Also we use a new window tint that is clear, but removes a ton of heat in the vehicle.

Greg, I hope this progress continues and I am sure they know that they are under the spot light, which doesn't hurt either. I have been impressed with their facility from day one, not sure why Levi left there, but that happens.

Have a great Fathers Day.

You're spot on! Controlling the heat getting in is 90% of the battle. In a drop top - it gets even harder! The top on the '33 looked perfect -- but you could put your hand around certain areas and you could feel the heat pouring in. They (Brizio) even brought the factory boys in and had 'em adjust it. Then Sid Shavers designed and had built - a better latch system and that really helped. Sometimes it's also a "sucking" rather than pressure.... It was very hard to get the seal just right across the back (bottom of top) of the car..... if the material tightened up (to make the top look perfect) -- it would pull that seal "up" just enough that it would create a low pressure area and draw the air out.

All of this will be MUCH easier to deal with in the '40 --- everything is new - all the sheet metal is new - and it will be insulated like crazy. Then it will just be door seals.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 AM

Funny how small business works.....

I needed a seat for the truck - a buddy building one said he used a Glide Engineering seat - which I liked the looks of his.... so off to the 'net to find it. A quick search brought up a website - http://www.waltonfabrication.com/ - but NOT Glide Engineering.... No matter - I called the firm to make an inquiry. Guy (Todd) on the phone is super helpful - doesn't know about all the '40 seats offered - but says -- "I know they (Glide) are setting up at a show today and I'm going (The LA Roadster Show) tomorrow (Saturday) and will go talk to them - and will call you back Monday".

Usually this is a "never happens".....

Monday morning Todd calls --- has all the information I need to make a decision - offers a discount.... has good insight about the product (he just didn't know details on the 40 seat but knows seats in general). BAM! Ordered the frame - the seat riser - the slide.... $1500 sale.

Here's the way I work --- I didn't even shop any other sites -- I waited for him to do what he said he'd do (giving him the full length of rope). He gets the business. As simple as that.

Now --- I did go to Glides website (the right one!) and what pops up on their home page???? Our Brizio built '33 Ford. LOL === What's the odds of that??

I mentioned this in another post... but thought I'd mention it again here in case you missed it. LOL
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Not to derail on you GW, but I had a similar experience shopping for a one-off crazy driveshaft. One place never answered, another place took info but never called back, the third place (should have been the first) said they wern't sure but would I please call back and talk to the owner. I took a gamble and rang him the next day... Denny at Denny's Driveshaft. Took an immediate and genuine interest in what I was doing, walked me through every detail, helped me get exactly what I needed. He seriously discounted what turned out to be a specialized part he hadn't sold to anyone before and I was his "test pilot"... the best part? He sent exactly what he said he would, when he said he would.
Amazing.

Jeff-
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 PM

about the seat sale...

I LOVE that kind of service!

My 68 Torino
Old 07-08-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
about the seat sale...

I LOVE that kind of service!

Me too Joe!!!

From now on -- Walton Fabrication gets my recommendation to anyone looking for a hot rod seat(s).

It's how small business BUILD their business up! One satisfied customer at a time.... How you tear them down.... one dissatisfied customer at a time. I'm the kind of guy that tells everybody I know Good or Bad. I know A LOT of car people.

When I was the Brown Jordan Rep (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Hawaii, B.C.) - I used to do sales training.... and I used to try to get my customers (retailers) to understand one important part of making a sale (there's A LOT MORE to making a sale and it has nothing to do with "salesmanship" - I HATE salesmen).... is that when THEY made the sale.... that customer then has brand new patio furniture on their deck.... their friends can't help but notice -- and they can recommend "your store" -- or, when you lose the sale -- they recommend the other guys store. Each sale has the potential to grow logarithmically.

To make a "sale" --- all the sales staff has to do is to remove the objections to making a purchase by the customer. Such as - can you get the product timely - can you help with technical questions and how willing are you to do that (attitude) - is the price competitive - did you, or can you recommend other solutions (without trying to steer!) - did you pick up the phone right then and get an answer to a question you were unsure about. Want to KEEP a customer recommending your place? When the shizzle fizzled -- did you respond immediately to resolve the issue without hassle for the customer (you must make the bad stuff as easy as it was for the consumer as you did on the sale side of the transaction). The very first question that should be asked is --- How would you like me to handle this? Do you want me to get you a new (whatever) - Do you want yours fixed (immediately) - DIFFUSE the issue by simply showing 100% willingness to make it right - whatever that means for THEM, not you! That's how you get repeat business, and in fact, you're likely to get an even stronger recommendation from a satisfied customer based on how you handled the mess -- not the initial sale.

Last edited by GregWeld; 07-08-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Wanna race? I mean race to see who drives first? Your truck or the Duck?
[email protected]

Instagram: @fabrycatedmetal @project_ruptured_duck

Partners: Miller Welders, Tremec, Ford Performance,
Dakota Digital, VintageAir, Holley, Quicktime, Hays,
Sutton Designs, Black Widow Exhaust,
Pacific Coast Powder Coat, DEI Engineering
VisionX Lighting, Musclerodz, Hot Rods By Boyd,
Cato's Custom Upholstery, Wilwood Disc Brakes,
East Bay Muscle Cars, Ridetech, SendCutSend, Coastal Curved Glass, IWON Inc

Project Ruptured Duck proceeds to benefit:
Homes For Our Troops
The American Aeronautical Foundation
Old 07-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaBrycation View Post
Wanna race? I mean race to see who drives first? Your truck or the Duck?

I'll take that bet... you're gonna regret... <The Devil came down from Georgia>

I just got my first billing from the new shop - Custom Hot Rods of Andice - and they've done an amazing amount of work already. As in -- more in a couple weeks than had been done in the last 6 months (mostly my fault).

Really -- the sheetmetal was in great shape when I picked it up. What needed to be done was the small connections of things - some mounting (ECU and fuse box etc).... and exhaust... the fuel tank to the filler mounted in the fender... headlights (Harley style) - taillights - Door handles and latches (non-stock) - mirrors. Get the stance right (and drivable) - and that will be manipulation of the wheel opening in front.... Then blow it apart and final finishing / reassembly. My guess is -- Christmas of 2017
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Sounds good. Can't wait to see the finished product! My goal is January so you'll probably win
[email protected]

Instagram: @fabrycatedmetal @project_ruptured_duck

Partners: Miller Welders, Tremec, Ford Performance,
Dakota Digital, VintageAir, Holley, Quicktime, Hays,
Sutton Designs, Black Widow Exhaust,
Pacific Coast Powder Coat, DEI Engineering
VisionX Lighting, Musclerodz, Hot Rods By Boyd,
Cato's Custom Upholstery, Wilwood Disc Brakes,
East Bay Muscle Cars, Ridetech, SendCutSend, Coastal Curved Glass, IWON Inc

Project Ruptured Duck proceeds to benefit:
Homes For Our Troops
The American Aeronautical Foundation
Old 07-08-2017, 10:42 AM

I wanted it done for the GoodGuys Hall of Fame Tour in September and they "thought about it"..... so it's really further along than it appears. It's also a super simple (are any of them really?) build. Pretty straight forward.... and they've built more than a couple of these '40's.