Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-25-2017, 11:46 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Tiny Update

The best thing that happened is I finally decided to put a mini-split A/C in the garage. Yes it is a luxury and I used to not care how hot it is out there. Last year the Summer temperatures really stopped progress, especially the dog days in Oct and Nov when you still can’t always work with the door open in Phoenix. So yes it was nice to get this done. We had some “special” weather last week so timing was great.

Here is the result with the A/C running.

I finished the frame notch on the LH side and pretty much just copied the right side.

With that out of the way I got the proportioning valve installed with the DSE bracket and one short tube fabricated.

I went back and forth where to put the line lock. I almost augured in but finally just mounted in on the inner fender tub brace. The bottom lines will be a little hard to reach but I think it will be fine. That will be a busy corner with the clutch cylinder close by also.

With that finally figured out I started the LH brake tube about one flare away from it being complete. I added some extra squiggles in the brake line because there will be a little flexing.

So that’s not much to show but I probably sat around too much staring at the new A/C unit !

Last edited by SlowProgress; 01-22-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:22 PM

Default Haven’t Given up Yet !

No excuses, I just haven’t been working on the car very much. I decided to push it outside, clean and blow all the dust off. I hid parts everywhere to make room to work on it again. Keeping a neat work area isn’t something I am good at.

I have all the brake lines figured out and connected to the various fittings. The line lock was a little hard to shoe-horn into the location I picked. I still have a couple of supports to work out but need to do those when the frame comes off. I went through a bunch of tube patterns in aluminum and had to make a few of the stainless tubes over. The long tube from the master to the rear end still needs some tweaking, but best to do that with the body separated. This is actually pretty hard because so many things are in the way!

Overall I am pretty happy with the routing.

I bought a small fuse/relay panel from Eaton for the trunk. Next I need to figure out all the connector locations, re-install the exhaust and route all the rear-body harnesses (or at least mock them up). I am still not sure about the battery, remote shutoff and large fuse to protect the long battery cable. There is a lot more going on in the trunk than there was with the stock Camaro!

That’s it for now. I will try to be a little more active on the car this year. Goal is to install and start the engine this year, so I can blow it apart for paint. That doesn’t sound like much but will be a challenge for me.
Happy New Year !

Scott
Old 01-08-2018, 11:42 AM

This car is coming along nicely. I love what you did with the rear of the car.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:17 PM

Default Tinkered a bit

I played around with the location of the trunk fuse box and finally decided where to stick everything. I bought some stainless bolts and machined a little nub on the hex end, center punched the fusebox holes and drilled 1/8 pilots for the little nub. This made it easy to get all the bolts in the right spot, and also holds the box up off the surface a little.

With the fuse boxed tacked into place I step drilled the connector holes and test fit the connectors.

Here is the box and connectors mocked up. I still need final weld, the little holes to mount the connector screws, and figure out which backshells to order for wire routing. I also added an underside view.

Next week I will mount the pump controller and figure out the wire routing and maybe add a few clamps.
Still need to figure out which battery and the exact location as well!

Scott
Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 AM

Is it next week yet?

Love this build. I suspect you have been working so hard on it you haven’t had time to update your fans. All the best.....
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=JoeLightning;676300]Is it next week yet?

It must be next week!

Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 AM

Default Poor neglected build thread !

I have been busy on the car but only about 6-10 hours per week. I did get the pump controller mounted weeks ago but got distracted working other things

Also the pump wiring cleaned up pretty nice. It is almost ready for prime time.

The shop is covered with body filler and I have just been slow to get a post made (apologies for that). My good friend John has been coming over one night a week and throwing mud at the car. The body is clean metal but I really warped it as a kid removing paint with a body grinder. John has been a lot of help and we have fun eating pizza, drinking beer and making a lot of noise.

While John throws filler, I am TIG brazing some of the body seams. It is slow because I am not good at it.
I am also trying to figure out the rear muffler hangers. I realized when the exhaust was all welded together that thick stainless is just really heavy and my planned hangar idea was probably not strong enough. I didn’t want to weld tabs because I thought they might crack and pull out. I came up with this idea to design a strap that wraps around because it will be strong and easy to position. It is sort of tapered to help conform to the areas close to a bend radius where is will be located

I bought these adjustable swaybar links so it will be easy to adjust the height and mocked up one of the spares. I thought I could blacksmith this but I think I will take them to a sheet metal person to roll the radius a little smoother and make a crisp bend in the tabs. There will probably be some sort of spacer to keep the ears parallel.

I am working to get the battery and mount on order from Summit this week and plan to keep plugging away at metal work, and wiring while John keeps putting filler in the low spots. He is really patient at that type of thing and greatly appreciated.
Not much of an update but I didn’t want everyone to think I had given up.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:33 PM

glad to see some progress
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 PM

Nice progress, What did you use on the roof to guarter seam ? is that the aluminum filler? Looking good.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:15 AM

Thanks guys. Wayne that is aluminum filled body filler (all-metal brand). I was going to lead it but I took some advice from someone who has prepared a lot of cars and he told me not to worry about the metal filled products. I tend to over-think and needed a little kick to move forward.