...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Transmission and Rear End
User Name
Password



Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 02-24-2017, 10:39 AM
richs71nova richs71nova is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26
Default 2004 ctsv T56 in a Nova?

Hey guys,

I've been reading all different articles on having to rebuild/replace all different components on this style T56 transmission to make them work with a swap.

I bought a 2004 ctsv drivetrain, engine/t56 a while back. I'm installing it into my 71 Nova. aside from the mid shift conversion, which ive already installed, is there anything else needed? Do i need to replace the mainshaft or tail shaft housing? I also have the hydraulic clutch swap parts so that isn't an issue.

Thank you all in advance,

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 02-24-2017, 10:00 PM
carkrazy1987's Avatar
carkrazy1987 carkrazy1987 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WPB, Florida
Posts: 216
Default

midshift maybe too far forward, but i maybe wrong , i would change the mainshaft to a gto mainshaft and put a f-body/gto tail housing. the ctsv uses the cushion drive on the end. it can be unbolted and use a slip yoke. but again, it depends if the midshift will work for you. if its not too far forward, use it as is, and just ditch the 3bolt yoke at the end. hopefully i didnt confuse you.
__________________
1960 Chevy C10 Apache
1969 Chevy Nova
1991 Mazda 323, (Sh*tBox)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 02-26-2017, 11:42 AM
richs71nova richs71nova is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26
Default

Nope, not confusing at all. I appreciate the feedback! So basically as long as the offset mid shift works I should be ok just getting a driveshaft to fit? Assuming the rubber damper is removed?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 02-27-2017, 12:48 AM
carkrazy1987's Avatar
carkrazy1987 carkrazy1987 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WPB, Florida
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs71nova View Post
Nope, not confusing at all. I appreciate the feedback! So basically as long as the offset mid shift works I should be ok just getting a driveshaft to fit? Assuming the rubber damper is removed?
yup, if the mid shift works for you, removed the rubber damper, and then the yoke is bolted on with a bolt down the middle. remove that and the yoke will slip right off, and from there just use a standard t56 27? spline yoke.
__________________
1960 Chevy C10 Apache
1969 Chevy Nova
1991 Mazda 323, (Sh*tBox)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 02-27-2017, 09:40 PM
richs71nova richs71nova is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26
Default

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 02-28-2017, 07:44 PM
andrewb70's Avatar
andrewb70 andrewb70 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carkrazy1987 View Post
yup, if the mid shift works for you, removed the rubber damper, and then the yoke is bolted on with a bolt down the middle. remove that and the yoke will slip right off, and from there just use a standard t56 27? spline yoke.
Not exactly. The yoke is held on by a nut that is bolted to "stud" that is part of the mainsheet. You can't just cut that off and use a conventional slip yoke.

Best thing to do is swap the main shaft and add a matching tailshaft housing.

Andrew
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 03-01-2017, 06:38 PM
carkrazy1987's Avatar
carkrazy1987 carkrazy1987 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WPB, Florida
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Not exactly. The yoke is held on by a nut that is bolted to "stud" that is part of the mainsheet. You can't just cut that off and use a conventional slip yoke.

Best thing to do is swap the main shaft and add a matching tailshaft housing.

Andrew
interesting, when i rebuilt the t56 in my bro's 04 cts-v it was a bolt. no stud or nut. so i guess, back to my original post, put in a gto mainshaft and f-body/gto tail housing
__________________
1960 Chevy C10 Apache
1969 Chevy Nova
1991 Mazda 323, (Sh*tBox)

Last edited by carkrazy1987 : 03-01-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM
andrewb70's Avatar
andrewb70 andrewb70 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 429
Default

If you Google "2004 ctsv t56" and look for images, you can see what I'm talking about.

Do you have pictures of your brother's T56?

Andrew
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 03-02-2017, 05:16 PM
carkrazy1987's Avatar
carkrazy1987 carkrazy1987 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WPB, Florida
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
If you Google "2004 ctsv t56" and look for images, you can see what I'm talking about.

Do you have pictures of your brother's T56?

Andrew
after i saw your message i did exactly that and googled it. unfortunately no i do not have a pic of it, didnt really have much of a reason to take pics. i was aware that trans out been out before he purchased it, so that probably when it happened.
__________________
1960 Chevy C10 Apache
1969 Chevy Nova
1991 Mazda 323, (Sh*tBox)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 03-02-2017, 10:32 PM
andrewb70's Avatar
andrewb70 andrewb70 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carkrazy1987 View Post
after i saw your message i did exactly that and googled it. unfortunately no i do not have a pic of it, didnt really have much of a reason to take pics. i was aware that trans out been out before he purchased it, so that probably when it happened.
The f-body T56 main shaft does have a threaded hole on the output side (maybe...there is a small hole and maybe it was made bigger?). It's very possibly that it was converted over. I'm just guessing at this point. I just know a stock ctsv T56 definitely has a stud and but and it can't easily be concerted to use a regular slip yoke.

Andrew
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Lateral-g.net