Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Supporting Member

Default New Project - 69 Vette for my wife

So, it didn't take much on her behalf to talk me into it - but my wife is graduating her Masters program December 2015 and wanted some incentive as a gift to herself upon completion. She contemplated all sorts of things and settled on having me build another 69 Vette Convertible for her - we found one on Ebay (and I paid wayyyyyy too much) and brought it home.

The car will need some serious bird cage repair. I'm contemplating buying another car (newer model firewall back) to extract the cage - convert to the convertible...and then swap it.

This is a four speed car with NO options. Right now it has a six link Drag Vette rear suspension...and that's about it. Bought it without a motor. Seller claimed it was a 427 car - but he was basing that on things that you can bolt in and swap (core support, loops on the drive shaft/halfshafts) - but there is no way to know for sure unless the tank sticker is still there - which I doubt. Ebayer knew nothing about the car - just a flipper - so I have to guess. I assume the last person was trying to drag it based on the drag vette parts and screw holes on the wiper door where a tach would have gone and huge on large fuel lines run from the rear.

My wife wants it to have a big block. I did a magazine article a while back on another 69 where we put a Vortec 8.1 and Richond six speed on a LS computer. Also, had the original "Killer" with a .060 over 454 and Edelbrock Fuel Injection.

But - I'm totally on the fence here. She will drive it to work and around town. She does not want a race car. In fact, she would like me to put catalytic converters on it to keep the fuel stink to a minimum as it isn't cool smelling like unburned 93 octane at work.

So - for now we can dream up the future build. I won't be able to get started on it for a bit, but will be collecting parts and ideas.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Supporting Member

I meant to add that I have this car back in my shop right now:

https://lateral-g.net/mcdonald/

I sold it a number of years ago - the new owner put in a bowtie LSx 427, Auto trans..and different wheels. They had added an ISIS system that took a total dump and was driving him crazy, so I have it with me to put an American Auto Wire in and some other things.

I suspect this had "some" influence on my wife's thought process.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Looks like a solid start! Been there, done that with birdcage issues - good luck and hopefully not as bad as you think.

Loving the increase in vettes being built

1972 Corvette Coupe - https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=36573
Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Default jydracing 63 split window

Nice build!!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:21 AM

I really love the 69 vetts!! Can't wait to see what you do to it.

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Lateral-g Moderator

That's awesome! Your wife has good taste....in cars.

This will be a good one to watch.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 08-01-2014, 11:45 AM

Interesting project. My suggestion would be the E-Rod package from GM. Relatively affordable from a purchase pricing and not too expensive in operating cost. Comes with catalytic converters and harness.

That black vette is wicked looking. One of the sharpest '69's I've seen in a convertible.

Good luck,
Rod
Old 08-02-2014, 03:30 PM

Looks like this is going to be a nice build!
Old 04-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Supporting Member

So...LONG time...no update.

I've actually been keeping this somewhat updated at:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=222042

As of today (like at this very moment) the car is over at the local Chevy Dealer's body shop waiting to go through the paint booth to get a nice long BAKE.

I've learned from experience the plastic fantastic can "shrink" due to the heavy amount of adhesives and fillers...after it has been exposed to some nice long hot summer days. I've been doing the bulk of the body work over the winter where I've waited to hit 60 degree F surface temp to apply filler.

My hope is this bake will reduce the problems down the road. Next comes the joy of wetsanding and blocking...and repeat as often as needed.

The body will be coming back off the frame very soon and I'll prioritize that. I'd LOVE to put the full Ridetech stuff on...trying to juggle the bank account right now for that stuff.

I am running an LT1 T56 mated to a 454. I'm looking at several different ways of applying a cam/crank sensor for an LS1 so that I can run the 454 off the full coil packs and LS1 stock GM components.

Had some fun fitting 2012 Camaro side markers into the body...and some other very small tweaks like mating the bumpers up for near perfect body lines and gaps...etc. Many of the things that I've obsessed about for hours and hours will ONLY be appreciated by hardcore Vette people that know the difference. I'm hoping everybody else just assumes that is how the factory intended it.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Sweet car. The Stingray is probably my all time favorite car. I have loved those sweeping fenders since I was a kid. I really like that you stuck a 8.1 Vortec in one, that is cool.

It looks like you have done this a couple times, so I am sure you will make something truly cool and special for your wife's graduation. I believe that a master's degree deserves a Corvette... I wonder if I can convince my fiance that I deserve a 'vette when I get my master's...