Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2015, 08:46 PM

Default Metal Stock in your shop?

I'm Getting ready to order some sheet metal to have on hand at my shop and was wondering what guys generally keep around.

There is a steel yard that will deliver about 45 minutes away from me.

I will be doing mostly patch work on my Camaro, and some Trans tunnel work.

The guy who is renting space from me will be doing floors, several body mods and repair to is '68 BMW 2002.

What i was thinking

2- 1x1x.120
2- 2x2x.188
2- 2x3x.188
1- 4x8 16ga
1- 4x8 18ga
1- 4x8 20ga

I'm trying to see if this is crazy to just have on hand so i don't have to run and get steel every week.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Supporting Vendor

In my opinion the .188 wall tube may be a little overkill for what you're doing.. Not bad for the 2x3 stuff as it is likely used in heavy duty areas, but the 2x2 doesn't need to be that thick.
Also 40ft of it seems a little much as well for the 2x2 and 2x3.

Steel flat stock is usually good to have for little brackets and such, and it's generally cheap. 1/8" and 3/16" thick mainly.

-Dale
GMachineChassis.com
LSxEngines.com
Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
Old 04-22-2015, 10:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Adding to what Scwhartz said....

I always have several sticks of 3/4 X 3/4 and 1 X 1 for bracing etc... and you'd be shocked how fast you can use up 30 or 40' of this stuff!

I also stock some various "strap" material -- 1 X 1/4" and some 1 1/2 X 1/4" - and 2" etc.... I like to have a few different widths and thickness. Amazing how many things you can use this for.

Also - I have angle iron -- and I use that a lot - not for the cars - but for making various things around the shop. It's simple and easy. I might need a piece to built a ledger for something and it's easy to clamp etc.

Once you start carrying some of this stuff -- you'll want to build some kind of rack for storage - you'll get real tired of moving it if you don't.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 PM

Forgot to add --- unless you have a stomp shear -- get your 4 X 8 sheets cut down. They're way too hard to handle in the full sheet size. I like to at least cut them in half so two 4 X 4 sheets. There's nothing you're going to make for a car that will take a full sheet.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Forgot to add --- unless you have a stomp shear -- get your 4 X 8 sheets cut down. They're way too hard to handle in the full sheet size. I like to at least cut them in half so two 4 X 4 sheets. There's nothing you're going to make for a car that will take a full sheet.
Was definitely planning to have them cut in half. Just have to buy 4x8 sheets.

Down the road we are planning a welding table that will have some
Storage underneath for tubing, I'll look into some of the flat stock.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 AM

I always have 1/2"x1/2"x .070 in stock also. I use it for all kinds of knick-knack stuff like small shelves, carb stands, layout spacers, garage tv wall bracket, corner bracing, etc. I'm amazed at how many feet of the stuff I've consumed in a couple years in my home shop/garage.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:54 PM

Its nice to have Cold Rolled flat stock in the shop for brackets. .125" by 2" and .250" by 6" works for most things. I like to have some 14 gauge for brackets that don't need to be .125" thick. The local metal shop has left overs for sale in various metals. They charge by the pound so it is really cheap. I like to pick up some 304 stainless and thick 6061 aluminum plate for special projects when its available.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:10 PM

Remnants for the win! I do that all the time Eric!! By a whole bunch of odds and ends just to have around... they're great for shaping stuff on... various diameters of rounds... aluminum... and stainless. You can never have too much of this kind of stuff.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 AM

Most of the tin work you are going to do will be 20g (.0375) or 18g (.050) so I usually keep a few 2x4 sheets of that around. For the plasma art I use 16g(.0625), then I keep some 1/8"(.125) and 1/4"(.250) Rarely will you ever need larger sheets than that unless you are doing something specific, 90% of my sheets gets cut down into smaller pieces. Plus it may not sound like much but working even a 2x4 sheet is about what a single guy can do easily... much more than that and its a two man job not buggering it up as you try to work it. I've got a 52" shear but since I work by myself it is easier just to pay the couple $ cut fee and have it knocked down to 2x4.

Like the guys said... have a general stock of odds and ends. You will always find use for 1"x1" and 3/4"x 3/4" angle, I've got flat stock in all types of widths from 1/8" to 1/2" thickness. I use DOM tubing for making spacers and standoffs so I keep that on hand in 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2" ID in steel and aluminum. Now that I've got the mill and lathe in house I've got more solid stock that I can machine what I need... I scored a 4' section of 3" round aluminum for about $50 in the drop area one day which is great for cutting belt tensioner standoffs and pulley standoffs, hubcentric rings.... and all kinds of other fun!! Again... it sounds like a lot but I usually just pick up a 1-3' piece when I see it in the drop section... My metal yard has a HUGE well organized drop section so it makes it easy.

I usually keep a plate of 14g aluminum for making tanks and some thicker aluminum up to 5/8" for machining brackets. Some flat expanded metal for making oil cooler shields...

The more your in house capabilities the more use you will find for odds and ends. I've built 2x4 shelves under my bench for the sheet stock and am going to make some stand up "files" on the side to keep my drops organized by size. Best way I've found to organize the sticks is go to your hardware store and buy a couple 10' sections of 4" pvc.. cut them into 3 even sections and cap the end on the inside with a 3" pvc cap.... glue them together and instant organizer. Big enough to get your hand down inside for short pieces, tall enough to stand up 6-8' pieces with ease.

....looks like it's time to reorganize the organizer....

1970 Chevelle I built years back as a Lat-G Feature https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=43116

Last edited by Revved; 05-26-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 AM

I keep a Home Depot 5 by the cold cut saw -- all the little whacked off pieces (say over 2" long and up to a foot) go into the bucket. If I need a little tiny piece for something - I rummage thru the bucket - or just dump it out on the table - and find a piece and then just hold the bucket under the table and scoop all the stuff back in.

I don't like to have to whack a 1/2" piece off a 4' stick.... leaving the stick just short of the next thing I need to make... so I try to be efficient with the use of the sizes.