Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the comments so far. I started a spread sheet today to get a better guesstimate at weight (and cost). I think it will be hard to get this under 2000# without driver. It is tough to get a decent motor weight, I haven't pulled it from my donor car, but from what I can tell the aluminum Modular motors are within 10 pounds of an aluminum LS. Once I pull it, I should be able to get a better estimate.

The motor choice was mostly based on dollars per HP per pound and I am too far down the rabbit hole for a different option at this point. You can't beat getting a running almost driving (transmission slipped) car for less than $500, add $400 worth of cams and valve springs, do some porting, re-flash the ECM and have a 340+ HP and rev to 7200 RPM. The donor also has all the accessories, fuel system, radiator fan, diff etc. to get it running in a hotrod.

Not much to look at now, but move the coils to the back, get rid of all the plastic airbox stuff and polish the 16 intake tubes and valve covers and BAM.

28 spline 8.8, aluminum housing

Believe it or not I am familiar with how small hot rods are. I helped build a couple in college, and we drove 2 very traditional rods down to Speed Week from Chico in 2004. In my opinion, the engine compartment space (without hood sides) is not the problem, foot well area is usually sacrificed due to transmission and bell housing placement. Driver placement / ergonomics will not be sacrificed in this build. I am probably going to split the cowl and widen it a couple of inches so the whole car will be asymmetric and biased toward the passengers side. No hood side on the passengers side, with a pile of snakes 180* header hanging out the side.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 AM

Very interested sounds like a coooooool project! I'm with Greg on not another Camaro build!!

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 12-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,566 Times in 851 Posts

I'm loving the idea. Kenny and I have talked about doing something similar with an old pick up but with an ecotec 4cyl.

So I'm really excited to see how this project progress.

Marty-MJ
www.garagescene.net

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 12-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Craig --- I knew you'd have a plan! That's just the way you seem to work.

Oh Yeah - splitting the cowl will really help with packaging. Certainly easy enough to do.

Brizio and company really like to keep a Ford in a Ford... but it just creates so many issues... I wasn't willing to deal with 'em so just chose to piss everyone off by using the LS motor instead. It was that or go to an old school SBFord and I didn't want to do that either.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 AM

Interesting proposal, what makes it "penultimate" ( next to last ) ?
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM

Yeah, didn't say it was a bad choice, just interesting. Don't forget goodguys 10% rule.

FWIW my roadster weighs 2450 without me, with a 1/2 tank......51% on the rear.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 12-20-2014, 09:10 PM

It's great to see you get going on this, Craig--I can live vicariously through your crazy build while suffering through law school.

I get the weird engine placement--I saw something similar on Merc9 (crazy car) out at Laguna Seca. I think the motor (1000 hp) was back about a foot and over six inches to the right. This was about the biggest freak of a car I've seen, and it of course just ate the track.

It's got to be said: "Yo quiero Taco Bell." That dog...

Those of us who know have faith in your engineering skills, since you're an engineer...
Old 12-20-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by economiser View Post
Interesting proposal, what makes it "penultimate" ( next to last ) ?
That's it, next to last or final. There will always be someone or something with more. More power, more brakes, more talent(?), more money. Or the next build, the next tire, the next rule change...

I am going to go for it here and now, build it the best I can with my current knowledge and skill. Next time it will be even better. I'll refrain from further updates until there is some progress.

-Craig
Old 03-05-2017, 07:11 PM

Small Update:

I got the Mark VIII parted out the last weekend in December and picked up the rear of a '27 T Phaeton and an A door skin to use for a template so I have pretty much a complete car. I going to do a couple of interior things on the Falcon to finish it up (disassemble and paint the dash, rear seat cover, new carpet). Then I should start working on it.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:17 PM

The Phaeton... was that the model that had dual cowls? Or maybe dual doors?
A four door T rear would make a good starting point for a decent stretched cab 2 seater