User Name
Password

Old 03-08-2017, 04:09 PM

subscribed

My 68 Torino
Old 03-09-2017, 10:21 AM

I'm watching too.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Cool idea! And it'll be fun to see it whipping around the track! Despite being a GM guy I like the engine choice, it fits the motif. I would prolly rather like to see Ford wheels on it to keep the theme going, but if you already have the Vette wheels roll with it... pun intended.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:45 PM

I've never really understood what you do with those horribly rusted old bodies - do people really media blast them and then patch them ? Or do you just use it as a template to attach new metal until nothing is left of the original ? It just seems like if you media blasted something like that there wouldn't be much metal left.

Side note - Ever since a drag racer built a black Mark 8 with giant tires and a snorkel scoop when they were new I've always wanted to build a hot rod Mark 8. I'm sad to see one get parted out - oh well at least its a lame cream color one.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
I've never really understood what you do with those horribly rusted old bodies - do people really media blast them and then patch them ? Or do you just use it as a template to attach new metal until nothing is left of the original ? It just seems like if you media blasted something like that there wouldn't be much metal left.

People do both. I my plan is to leave it mostly as is. I will make or buy new panels as needed but my goal is to keep it as light as possible so I will be using composite or aluminum. I will dissolve the rust where I need to weld with HCL (which works quite well but can cause serious chemical burns) and add material so I have something to mount to.

I mostly got the parts I did for cost and so I would not be ruining a restoration candidate. Also, USCA rules require a factory vin so I needed to start with a real car.

Vette spindles = Vette wheels, plus the OEM Z06 C5 wheels are the lowest weight per dollar available.