Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Why do y'all think people do this?? (opinions)

I was just browsing Craigslist and came across this add. Take a look at the link below and tell me what y'all think. Maybe some guy owned a ton of cars, obtained others in the process or ran a business at some point. Then, eventually the person or business owner died and nobody else in the family wanted to bother with it and now it's a graveyard for cars which many are probably beyond normal repair. I say normal because anything can be fixed and brought back from the abyss if one is willing to invest the time and money.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/6169683510.html

Old 06-28-2017, 02:52 PM

I think people have hopes and dreams of building them and that turns into hoarding. Or they just want to have what you want and not give it up for sale.

What a waste of cars either way tho.....
Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-it View Post
Or they just want to have what you want and not give it up for sale.
Totally agree with this. The old, "I'm gonna fix it up..." saying.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 PM

Default Back when

In the late 80's we were working in Tenn. at Arnold Air Base. We went searching the back woods for cars and found a pig farm with about 100 tri 5 Chevys. We stopped and attempted to approach the house. We were met by a nice fella with a double barrel shotgun. When we inquired about the possibility of purchasing one or two or more of the cars, we were quickly informed the he was going to restore everyone of them. Then he just said, get the hell out of here.
We then told the story the next day a work, and we were told we were lucky he didn't just shoot us. The collection was known in the county.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 PM

My Uncle is like this and has several 100 cars stored out in the desert. I have been trying to buy a Henry J gasser from him for nearly 25 years but I figure I will have to buy it at the auction like everybody else.

He likes cars and he has money to buy them, who I am I to judge #Murica
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
Totally agree with this. The old, "I'm gonna fix it up..." saying.
I've been trying to buy a '70 Trans Am that's been sitting in the same spot since I was in elementary school and get this response every time I ask... Poor cars.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 AM

I guess most everyone has a story to tell. I was going down one of the streets here in my home town about six years ago and noticed a '66 Nova SS in the back yard of a house. I immediately stopped and asked if it was for sale. My reply, "NO, I'm going to fix it up". Every year for about 4 years I stopped by and inquired about buying the car. Same answer. About 2 years ago a friend of mine stopped me and told me he had just bought a car he thought I'd like to have. A '66 Nova SS for $500. He said the people got hard up for money and sold it to him. This guy didn't know I wanted the car. $500! I said I would triple his investment and he said no. I know he's not going to do anything with it. He once had a '68 Camaro that he traded me two new in the box rear quarters for the 305 2bbl, powerglide transmission out of my Camaro. These were GM Quarters. I offered the people $2000 for it when I was trying to buy it. Go figure...
Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 AM

crazy isn't it...

I have frequented a salvage yard in northern colorado since i was 16, I am now 61. The owner is probably +75 now and it has been in the family a long time. He and his brother ask insane prices, or the stuff will sit and rot. It's the only place around here I can find stuff for mid to late 60's Ford's. So I often pay the price.

There is allot of early stuff there too. http://www.martinsupplyautoparts.com

But I have witnessed the same thing that was posted, stuff sitting in folks yards around the county here for 40 years, lol. It has since rusted in the ground...

My 68 Torino
Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 AM

If I had the $$$ , space . I would problaby have a bunch of old cars too. Can't judge we're just hating on some one else's possessions because we can't have it our selves.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankv11 View Post
If I had the $$$ , space . I would problaby have a bunch of old cars too. Can't judge we're just hating on some one else's possessions because we can't have it our selves.
I don't think everyone's hating on others possessions, It's more like, why keep these cars (trucks) if your not going to do anything with them except let them rot to oblivion. I agree, if your not going to do anything with it, let someone else. If there is personal reasons someone doesn't want to get rid of something I can understand that..