Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2016, 07:35 PM

I preface this by saying I do not own a TIG but have researched it a lot since I want one. I agree with GW that the Miller Dynasty 200 DX is probably the best for hot rod thicknesses in an AC/DC machine that can do aluminum, SS and steel with all the wiz bang features like pulse, adjustable high frequency, balance and waveform controls. It's also the most expensive. New school tech digital inverter technology. Old school transformer machines are great also but limit you to a set frequency and other options. Miller also has their new inverter synchrowave 210(?), their Diversion 180 and 165 which are sort of a set and forget models and their full line of standard synchrowave transformer machines. Built like a tank but heavy with less features than the inverter machines.

Seems like Miller, Lincoln and HTP seem to get great reviews and are the top tier. I really like the HTP machines. A bit less money than Milller but very strong following. Thermal Arc also gets good notes depending on the model.

All the manufacturers seem to have a value line that may or may not be US made.

The lower tier imports are Everlast, Longevity and Eastwood which I believe is a rebranded Longevity. People seem to love or hate the Everlast although there are some very reputable welders using them. It seems like their reliability and reputation has gained in the last few years quite a bit.

Again, I'm not a TIG guy and just sharing my research. Take a look at the Welding Tips and Tricks site and videos. He covers many many welders and has great how to videos.

Wes

Last edited by MoparCar; 01-06-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

For the tiny amount of time our welders are actually used ------ I think someone buying an Everlast or similar machine would be just fine. I looked yesterday on Amazon -- and a machine that claims to do everything my $4,000+ Miller does --- was offered for around $1,400

It might be a little more of a "gamble" that the warranty etc is honored should you have some issue - but you could buy TWO of them and still be less than my one.

With that thought -- I'm "okay" with it if it fits a guys budget and he picks up the hobby.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 AM

I have a Thermal Arc 186 and use it a lot and it hasn't given me any problems. I paid $1675 shipped but I see the prices are slowly climbing up.

Most of the local weld supply stores sell and service the Thermal arc/tweco welders so that helps. Consumables are available mostly everywhere for the thermal arc as well

Most red or blue welders your paying for the customer service on top of the welder. Miller actually took "made in the USA " off there welders. Wonder why. ...

Last edited by Build-It-Break-it; 01-06-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Like most things these questions are budget dependent.... there are great machines that can do everything and there are budget machines that can "TIG" weld....

I run a Miller Dynasty 200 DX and it does everything.... and has been trouble free. IT can do more than I can do or need to do. But when you buy this stuff - you want to buy the best one you can because they hold their value and you don't know what welding you're going to want to do going forward.
We have the same unit, Super nice and adjustable, but with all the add on's I think it was about 7000.00 we now only use Miller (like most) cart water cooler. regulator, torch, some consumables, etc too much for a guy at home. we also have a syncrowave 180 that is about 12 years old now and it has not cost us a dime it is MORE than enough machine for a guy at home, but still probably 4000 with a water cooler .
I would buy a miller Diversion 180 #907 627 about 1600.00 can run off 110v
Old 01-06-2016, 07:39 PM

The Everlast 210EXT gets good reviews and has nearly all the features of the Miller Dynasty 200DX for $1500-1800. As Greg mentioned it probably would be fine for home shop use/duty cycle. I've considered this strongly. They used to do a 5-year warranty if bought direct from them and not through a reseller. They negotiate pricing if you call them. A lot of the online welding supply houses now carry the conversion fittings and items to easily run any of the major torches etc. like CK and others. Again I don't have a TIG just what I've researched.

I see several transformer Sychrowaves or Lincoln Powertigs on Craig's here in Denver area almost weekly. I'll go for a digital unit, but the transformers can be bought very reasonable used and as Blake said, last forever.

Wes
Old 01-06-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
We have the same unit, Super nice and adjustable, but with all the add on's I think it was about 7000.00 we now only use Miller (like most) cart water cooler. regulator, torch, some consumables, etc too much for a guy at home. we also have a syncrowave 180 that is about 12 years old now and it has not cost us a dime it is MORE than enough machine for a guy at home, but still probably 4000 with a water cooler .
I would buy a miller Diversion 180 #907 627 about 1600.00 can run off 110v

Good post buddy!

I agree --- mine runs a cooler -- cart -- leather jacketed hoses... multiple torches... multiple fill materials all in TIG fill containers... WIFI foot controller... and half a dozen different auto darkening helments... including the new Miller Goggles.

It' s like buying a milling machine or a lathe... the pain has only just begun...
Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 AM

[

It' s like buying a milling machine or a lathe... the pain has only just begun... [/QUOTE]

LOL TELL ME ABOUT IT. you end up spending as much on tooling as the machine cost, and I'm looking at buying another one
Old 01-07-2016, 07:36 PM

I am new to tig welding and bought the Eastwood tig welder 200 amp dc. After using it, I was impressed with it and it's on sale for $500. However this one is for steel only.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 AM

I just bought the Alpha Tig 200 from AHP a couple months ago. Snagged it off Amazon for $720 shipped. It has been fantastic so far. I have used the high dollar Miller Tigs at work, but honestly, this Alpha tig works just the same. It has about all the bells and whistles on it. It gets great reviews online. Highly recommend it for the budget minded guys.

http://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG-2.../dp/B00EL8UQH4
Old 01-08-2016, 12:29 PM

TIG welding - actually ANY welding is like golf -- it ain't the clubs....