Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Rick,where on earth did you find such a nice 2nd Gen.You must have looked high and low for something this perfect.LOL!!!!

Last edited by coolwelder62; 06-16-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwelder62 View Post
Rick,where on earth did you find such a nice 2nd Gen.You must have looked high and low for something this perfect.
Ha! Stielow dropped it in his lap!
Old 06-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I like it! Great score.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM

Atta boy Rick. Congrats man. Never a bad thing buying a car from the King.

2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick D View Post

This is not a full on build take it apart and hope to finish it some day!! Nope this will be worked in stages, also this is being built on a budget, so not a lot of fancy new parts going in here.
Rick

Stick to your statement and build it modular. Don't take it off the road for more than a week at a time unless you suddenly are willing to spend

Take a look at Siegs car. He has a nice ride that he has kept on the road (most of the time) and has made some key upgrades without breaking the bank or stalling his progress.

I can't argue with jumping on a 6 speed conversion. I would jump on that right off.

The car is a 20 footer or better so even though you can do paint leave it alone until you are done slinging big parts into and out of it. Just get rid of those dam bumperettes.

Take Gae's advice and put together a budgeted plan. Start with the $$ you are willing to spend and prioritize your wants based on what fits within that number.

Then lay in wait for a bit. If you buy good second hand stuff you can resale it down the road if you step it up and it won't really cost you. Sure you may want new brakes first but if seats show up at a great price buy them first.

When you save some $$ from the budgeted number by scoring a good deal then you can reallocate that $$ to another upgrade on your project plan.

Bottom line is be disciplined about it. You just got out of one stalled project.

Wheels. For the first round wait for somebody who just bought a complete sub and tubbed their car to sell their "small wheels". I see nice looking wheel sets out there all the time. If you buy smart you can sell them if your project escalates. Bottom line JMO is don't buy them new because they are a big expense and their specs are dictated by so many pieces of the build you haven't settled on.

For you Camaro guys there are so many suspension options it make me dizzy. I don't pay that much attention to all the details of them for obvious reasons, are any of them modular? Can you do spindles and arms now with the stock sub and steering and later go full sub and rack? That way you can ease into it and get good brakes, that you can keep with future mods, on the car sooner than later. Doesn't the Ride Tech or Speedtech route allow you to do this?

Leave the stock rear diff alone for now. I'd target a rear suspension upgrade first. The front of a 2nd gen isn't terrible so look for a good deal to show itself for the rear. Save that $$ you want to dump on that 10 or 12 bolt to put it towards a nine inch.

Same with that motor. Clean it up and beat the snot out of it don't drop $$ into it.

You asked for opinions so you got mine.

BTW congratulations Charley Brown on finding the "great pumpkin" I hope your driving it today.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 06-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Good advice Rob

Rickster, get used to that punkin color buddy, it will serve you well through the many priority phases of the project. The timing of this and who it's from is pretty special IMO. Enjoy the journey. Be patient and don't bite off more than you can comfortably chew. Keep it fiscally under control so it's always an enjoyable hobby with positive thoughts and dreams for the future. I've seen too many hobby/project cars compromise finances and relationships and that simply ruins everything. Like Rob said......the more they're running the more you get to enjoy them.......no matter the performance level.

Let the planning and dreaming begin!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Thanks guys!

Rob and Seig and that guy that owes me dinner J/K Ron

You guys are giving some very good advise there and it is much appreciated! Yes the plan is to keep it moving and driving car as much as possible.

As for pumpkin color sorry its already in primer!!

J/K but as I bought the best car I could get for my budget, I only can start with the things that won't cost me to much money.

First on the list is a manual trans, and wheels and tires. Then it's up to what kind of deals come around. Be leave me Rob I ain't buying no NEW wheels. Marty already made me an offer I may not be able to pass up. So next is the trans which I'm looking for now, I may just get a 4sp for now as I really don't want to buy to many parts more then once. The ride height is very nice (40 year old suspension) so maybe a god set of shocks and call it a day.

Brakes will be some kind of OEM stuff C6 and brackets from Tobin at Kore.

So that leaves me to the body and paint, remember I don't have to take the car anywhere to get it painted! And I can knock out an awesome jobs fairly quick, and paint well it doesn't cost me anything so this will most likely get done first thing.

Anyway off to sand the paint off of my car

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-16-2013, 03:52 PM

T56 Mag close ratio..........nothing else! My trans is just starting to break in and it is such a treat, you need to drive it to appreciate it. It's your right hand's connection to your drivetrain...........and it feels REAL GOOD!

Big brakes and wheels first - I say this for a couple reasons 1) I bought wheels first, then installed the T56. 2) The speeds you can generate with the T56 almost created a very bad situation for me as I completely exceeded the limits of the stock front disks with 245/40/18 200TW front tires and came close to totaling the car. I called Tobin at Kore3 the next morning and ordered brakes.

The big aggressive manual brakes and T56 are the driving highlights of my car......for me.

Having just the right exhaust note even if you're not putting 550hp to the wheels doesn't hurt your image either.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Congrats Rick!!!! Wish I'd seen that car 2 years ago LOLOLOL

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:24 PM

Nice pick up! It looks like a very solid car to start with. I am looking forward to watching the progress you make with this car.

Brian

1965 Corvette
1973 Camaro
2003 Z06