Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 04-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Turbo's ??

Last edited by BuddyP; 03-06-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator

The big problem in finding a kit, is one that will fit under the hood. I guess you could run an STS, but after installing the Banks kit, I just don't see how it could be any easier. Not much fab work needed at all.

You could do a blow through carb setup, there's a member here that's doing a single with blow through.

As for the motor, at a bare minimum, you should keep the CR 9.0:1 or lower, forged pistons and a boost specific cam.

These are just my opinions, results may vary. What are your goals?

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 04-05-2005, 11:56 AM

Honestly, I don't have a set goal in mind. In the process of actually starting a restoration right now. Just wanted to plan ahead and figure out what I wanted to do. Right now I had just planned on a Crate 383... but turbo's are pretty cool! Didn't know if it is something that could be somewhat easily upgraded on a motor down the road, which leads to my questioning internal motor componants.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:14 PM

Kits are hard to find, for sure, and I haven't seen any single-turbo one's at all.

I bought a set of Kook's headers and made little intermediate "wastegate boxes" to locate the turbos better and give a platform for the wastegates. Besides the headers, I designed, and my cousin welded, everything else.

I'm also using a blow-through carb from CarbShop and it seems okay, although I haven't really gotten into FINE tuning it yet. I'm sure that's when the head-scratching starts. EFI would be the way to go but the better stuff is still pretty expensive. Although the carb wasn't cheap it's still less than a quarter of what the EFI would cost.

I built pretty good internals for mine as insurance. Hopefully it will all stay together. I have 220cc heads and 8.1:1 compression, which wouldnt make any since in a non-boosted car. If I had built it like that thinking "maybe I'll do turbos later", the car wouldnt have made any power until I boosted it. So the combo was built around the turbos.

Good luck with the new project.