Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

That pattern for the seats is sweet! Very unique. We can't wait to see the rest of it upholstered.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:01 PM

After getting the upper hose tacked and fitted to my liking, I had a friend tig weld it for me. I ground the welds and then had the hard decision as to what to do to it. In the end, I'm a paint guy, so paint it I did.

I also got the trunk sanded and buffed. Installed the chrome striker with the polished washers from Eddie's Motorsports.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 05-06-2017, 03:08 PM

I also got the NOS door glass installed in both doors along with the Nu-Relics power windows. Love them!! Then I sanded and buffed both front fenders. I only installed the passenger fender for now. Still leaning over the driver side and don't want to risk any issues.

I had thought the front end was too low before, so I raised it a bit. Now I'm looking at this and thinking I may have gone too far. I will wait for the entire car to be assembled and then reassess.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 05-19-2017, 03:39 PM

Engine compartment is now done! All the wiring is complete and everything is now plumbed. Just have to add fluids and it is almost time to crank it over. Just a little more wiring to do under the dash.

and lastly, my upholstery guy sent me this tease shot of the front seat done. Once the car is running I will bring it over too him to make the back seat and door panels.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 AM

So while wiring continues, I have also been assembling the front end.

Looking more and more like a car every day!

Maverick's are notorious for not having a good place to mount front speakers. Since the aftermarket doesn't do custom kick panels, I made these.

First time I have taken the front bumper out of the wrapper since getting it back from Advanced Plating. I am in LOVE with how they came out.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 06-13-2017, 03:55 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,566 Times in 851 Posts

Glen I finally made the time to look at this thread from start to finish. This thread is so inspiring and the couple pictures you shared of your daughter seeing the car are just the best. As a dad it's better then the car.

Great work on the car and the family.

Please keep posting updates

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
Glen I finally made the time to look at this thread from start to finish. This thread is so inspiring and the couple pictures you shared of your daughter seeing the car are just the best. As a dad it's better then the car.

Great work on the car and the family.

Please keep posting updates
I can't thank you enough for the positive comments. It has been a long road that is nearing completion, finally!

As a parent you know the drill, we do so much for them. My oldest just graduated from high school last weekend. She is ranked very high in her class, and did so well this year that she didn't have to take a single final exam. One of only a few seniors that did that well all year. The oldest likes the old cars, but it isn't her thing. She is into horseback riding, which of course led to buying one. Talk about a money pit. But, I have wasted far more on cars that she could imagine, so we do what we do. I justify it this way, in this day and age there is no better place than the equestrian center for teenage girls. They both have been riding for a long time now. There is not even one single person, child or adult, that I would't want my kids being around. On top of that, they have to work there, and its dirty work too. 3 times a week they both have to be there to feed all 30 horses, and every saturday morning, no matter the weather or holiday, they have to be there by 7:30am to muck all 30 stalls. They get paid for this work, and half comes to my wife and I to supplement the horse. Honestly, for me it isn't about the money, its about teaching them to earn it and that things don't come free. My younger daughter, the car girl, also rides the horse. But she LOVES the cars too! As she is just finishing her freshman year she has also proven she can handle what the school gives her.

My plan was to be have the Syracuse Nationals next month be the first show for the car. I figure since I have to be there working the PPG booth anyway, it would be a great show to bring the car out for the first time. Well, thats not gonna happen now. Do to some work travel, family, waiting on other people to do a couple things, I have missed my window at the upholstery shop. He couldn't wait any longer and had to take in the next car in line. So, this gives me time to button up a few things, send it out for exhaust, and sand and buff it again before he does his thing.

As for my daughter, well we may have hit a snag. It has occurred to me that I can't put normal passenger car insurance on this. I am going to have to get an appraisal and go with one of the specialty companies and an agreed value policy. I don't know of any that will allow a teenager to drive on those policies? If I can't find one, she will have to wait whatever the approved age is before taking the wheel. Bummed for sure...... But, I can't have all this time and money invested and insure it as a normal 1972 Maverick. If I did, then a flat tire might total it.

Time will tell. Keep watching!

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn

Last edited by Boss 5.0; 06-14-2017 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 PM

The assembly continues........

As mentioned in the post just before this one, I missed my slot at the upholstery shop. Lucky for me I have a good guy that was still willing to help me move forward. Last Sunday he came to me and installed the headliner! Only took him 2 hours, and there isn't a flaw or wrinkle to be seen!

Then I took the car off the Quick lift and got it on the ground. This is the first tie seeing it like this with the drivetrain in it and all painted. Exciting for me!

Still very much unsure about the painted rad support. As a painter I like the extra effort it takes to color match everything. And who will be looking at the car from this angle anyway?! Still, I may end up painted it matte black. Time will tell.

And the other night I installed the new windshield and NOS back glass by myself. Nerve wracking to do this alone, but it went well.

And this has to be one of my favorite things. Now with the glass in, seeing the stripe continue through it and onto the dash. Lots of extra effort, but this is the detail I was so looking forward to seeing completed.

1955 Chevy BelAir
1951 Chevy 3100
1987 Chevy R10

Glenn
Old 06-14-2017, 04:33 AM

WOW!!! your updates keep getting better and better Glenn. Car looks amazing hopefully I will see it in person at one of our local shows.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:34 AM

Great work on the Mavrick...I really like the way you ran the stripe onto the dash...never seen that before it really looks cool!