Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 01-09-2017, 07:46 PM

Default Which Heads

Hey guys, I have a 1969 SS Camaro with a 355/700R4 that I'd like to free up more hp. I know I have a mild Crane cam in it and I'm thinking of installing Edelbrock Performer RPM heads on, it seems like a good price for them. Are these the right heads for what I have? I'm thinking I need the 65cc heads as I have the 9 to 1 compression on it. I do have mid length headers I'll install when I do the swap.

I have an Edelbrock Pro Flo EFI that I may install but I don't much about that system and I'm not really confident about installing it yet.

Any advice would be really appreciated!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 PM

I would definitely decide whether or not you want to tackle the EFi first. EFI will let you run some higher compression on pump gas and get more out of it. Shouldn't be a tough instal but I haven't done one myself, edelbrock stuff is generally pretty simple to install.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Yes I'm on the fence with the EFI as I would love to have the drivability. Mine is the Pro Flo 1 but people that have it on their cars said they've had no problems with it. I talked to my local Hot Rod shop that re-wired my car and did the Vintage Air install for me and they said if I installed it they'll finished the install by programming and get it tuned, I'm leaning towards that.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

What else do you know about your 355? Exact cam specs? What pistons? What deck height? What are your power goals and what's your budget? You have a lot of choices for heads for this engine. I'd start by deciding where you want to go with it first. This will keep you from taking a misstep.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims