Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Unread 12-16-2016, 05:12 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
What'd we take off my lap times?? 15 or 20 seconds per lap??

JRI triple adjustable..... and a few other "mods"..... but nothing very serious and BAM!

Nice way to come in and be factual Ron! I was "shocked" to see someone wanted to spend money on Bilsteins... Or QA1's or any of that level of product.

Hey Greg !!

We carved 15 seconds off your times overall. From 2:20's to 2:05's. I think about 6 seconds of that was suspension changes & the rest was driver improvement once you had a car under you that actually worked well.

I'd give half the car's lap time gain to the shocks & half to the setup improvements (roll center, spring & bar rates). It sure as heck was fun see you go from the slow guy in the field to the fastest guy in the field!

Ron Sutton

Ron Sutton Race Technology
Your One Stop, Turn & Go Fast, Car Building Resource Center for Autocross, Track, Road Racing & Triple Duty Pro-Touring Cars

Check out our 400 Page Car Building Catalog HERE

Features: Suspension, Chassis, Cages, Brakes, Rear Ends, Engines, Transmisssions, Aero & Much, Much More!
Unread 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM

Default Coilover mounting on a Live rear axle

Hi Ron
Having read the information you posted earlier in this thread on shock placement and angles in relationship to front spindles I wanted to get your thoughts on Coilover placement on a live rear axle when dealing with chassis rails etc.
Is it better to push the base of the coilover out towards the wheel and suffer increased mounting angle on the assembly or move the lower mounting location inboard away from the wheel and get a more vertical coilover mount?
Is there a lesser of two evils?
Apologies if you have already covered this and I missed it.
Cheers
Greg Knaggs

May the competition begin.

1969 Mercury Cougar Eliminator ProTourer under build.

440" Small Block Windsor with Kaase P38 heads.
8 stack EFI induction system.
Balanced suspension package how I like my milk.......Hi/Lo.
Unread 02-16-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440Eliminator View Post
Hi Ron
Having read the information you posted earlier in this thread on shock placement and angles in relationship to front spindles I wanted to get your thoughts on Coilover placement on a live rear axle when dealing with chassis rails etc.
Is it better to push the base of the coilover out towards the wheel and suffer increased mounting angle on the assembly or move the lower mounting location inboard away from the wheel and get a more vertical coilover mount?
Is there a lesser of two evils?
Apologies if you have already covered this and I missed it.
Cheers
Greg Knaggs

Good question Greg,

Up to a point ... about 25 of angle ... it is better to push the lower shock mount outward.

Ron Sutton

Your One Stop, Turn & Go Fast, Car Building Resource Center for Autocross, Track, Road Racing & Triple Duty Pro-Touring Cars

Features: Suspension, Chassis, Cages, Brakes, Rear Ends, Engines, Transmisssions, Aero & Much, Much More!
Unread 03-19-2017, 09:40 PM

Ron, is there any disadvantage to having the front roll center below ground, by about an inch to an inch and a half?
Unread 03-19-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo2go View Post
Ron, is there any disadvantage to having the front roll center below ground, by about an inch to an inch and a half?
Not no .... but hell no. We never want the RC below ground. It contributes to the car being, & feeling, unstable during all transitions, especially corner entry.

If yours goes below ground in dive, and many production cars do, you'll want to change the geometry to get the RC up to ground level or higher, in full dive.

Ron Sutton

Unread 08-12-2017, 08:13 AM

Hello Ron, have a kind of unusual question about cross weight balance of a car.
Have access to a car weight scales, and read a lot about how to properly make it right.
But it will be a LOT easy for me if i remove all 4 tyres, and place the car on jack stands, which supports wheel hubs. All jack stands will be leveled between on the scales as well.
It will allow me great access to the coilover springs for adjustments.
Did i miss something and is there any downsides? I dont care that wheels weight wont be included.
Thanks.

Last edited by FERRARIST : 08-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.