Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 03-03-2016, 10:29 PM

Thanks, that's perfectly fine. Not like I'm waiting for a pan. No where even close.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:28 PM

More and more parts!!!! :rock:

Fan shroud and dual Spals:

LS1 MLS gaskets...reasoning for these is because I currently have LS9s on it but I did not like the huge difference in bore sizes between the 5.3 and LS9 so this is a nice compromise!

Vacuum block off plugs for supercharger:

Aeromotive fuel filter:

Gaskets for between adapter plate and head...thought I got the blower gaskets but will be grabbing them tonight.

Should get some real work done this weekend...work sucked today and I have an exam in class Monday so taking the day off from work to do last minute studying. Just need a break this weekend if even for a little bit.

Lots more to come!!!
Old 03-16-2016, 07:52 PM

And yet another round of parts!!! I can't walk in my garage right now...these basically finish off the big and expensive parts so I should be able to get this pig running within the next few months provided that the timing works out well between work and the birth of baby 2!!!

So for the brakes I am going to stick with the stock ones for this season because I cannot afford the Baer's for a while. As for the suspension, I am just going with the UMI Stage 1 to clean up the suspension and stiffen a bit to make it drivable. It will be a show queen for this season...just don't have the funds to finish everything this go around but I WANT to drive this damn thing!!!

For the intercooler, I am going with an Afco ZL1 unit that is beefed up for performance duty. If I need to I will slap fans on it but I think this will be sufficient for now. I am recirculating water with a GT500 intercooler pump.

Have a Derale Trans cooler that I will be mounting under the trunk on an angle to get plenty of coolant to '80e:

Finally, the 3" Hooker xpipe G body exhaust...REALLY looking forward to hearing this. I hope it is not insanely loud. I will most likely get a pair of Borla mufflers if I do not like the sound, but from what I've heard I am pretty happy.

Most of this stuff should be showing up in the next week with the suspension in about 2-3 weeks. I will be pulling the motor to start converting over to the full Holley/Hooker mounts and change over to the 302-2 pain with road race baffle. I am also an idiot and realized that I put the heads on without one of the head dowels in place so I have a few extras as well as a new set of MLS LS1 gaskets. I know a TON of people use the LS9s and they are ridiculously expensive, but since I have to pull the heads and that will most likely screw up the head gaskets, the smaller, more appropriate bore, of the LS1 MLS gaskets gives me more piece of mind. I'll be taking a ton of pics of the process so stay tuned. Also, if anyone has a complete G body heater only set-up I would be interested in purchasing or trading for a very complete (minus compressor) AC system.

Thanks!
Dave
Old 03-17-2016, 12:12 PM

I don't think I would worry about the LS9's on the smaller bore. People have even ran them on 4.8's with no issue. Plus they are reusable so just pulling the heads won't affect anything.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsTA View Post
I don't think I would worry about the LS9's on the smaller bore. People have even ran them on 4.8's with no issue. Plus they are reusable so just pulling the heads won't affect anything.
Hi there, there are a lot of folks that do use them with success on small bore motors, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right direction to go in my opinion. Also, because of my own stupidity I think I forgot to install an alignment dowel for one of the heads. If the gaskets look good I will absolutely save them for the 408 cube motor I intend to build in the future.

I should have a good update for this weekend! Got a ton of parts in and should be able to start working on the actual car....a novel concept!

Thanks for your interest!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:17 PM

Still making progress...especially with the engine. As my last post pointed out I had a LOT of parts in stock...haha. Finally started installing them once I pulled the motor.

Before I get too far in I am proud to announce my second son was born on the 12th of May...great reason not to get work done!

So as I mentioned I had a lot in stock to get down to business.

All of that will make its way here:

I got started with a tear down if the front end and oil pan. I installed the trick flow chain dampener...very straightforward.

Spent a bit of time on the oil pan situation. I removed the. CTSV pan with the double turbo drain (will be for sale soon) and installed the 302-2 pan with the road race baffle. You need to get the proper windage tray per Holleys direction which is the standard 98-02 fbody shorter tray but I am pretty sure you could just trim any tray back one counter weight. See pics below - first few show too long windage tray...

Proper windage tray is this number:

Here's the road race baffle:

Finally I replaced the head gaskets with ls1 MLS gaskets and did a nice reprint to freshen things up.

Ready to reinstall the correct valve covers (wrinkle black) and work on the blower tonight (replace the isolator). More pics to come!!!

Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 PM

Gonna be sweet! What's the blower off of? I see you running cathedral port heads...
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 05-29-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Gonna be sweet! What's the blower off of? I see you running cathedral port heads...
Hey there, blower is off CTSV and I'm running adapters.

Thanks for your interest!!!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:49 PM

Ok, made more progress last night and tonight!

Tore the blower apart and replaced the isolator with a solid version from Speed Inc. once the damn snout came off (a ball joint tool works well for separating it) removing the old sealant with a razor blade, cleaning then reinstalling was pretty straightforward.

Old isolator

Assembled blower

Not sure I showed th ICT coil brackets but got these off the 'bay. Very happy with them. Last show is with truck heat sink coils.

Finally, last shots are of the blower being mounted and the Holley 95mm throttle body being installed with cable bracket. Lid is a ZL1 Camaro lid and a new gasket was installed.

Completed blower install with LS9 rails...I will hopefully be installing the Fuel Injector Clinic injectors tomorrow as well.

That's it for tonight...pretty happy with the progress I am making...I will be pulling the trains and having it freshened up...even tho it was supposed to be a low mileage rebuild, the color of the fluid and smell when I installed the HD2 shift kit has never left my mind...more to come!!!

Last edited by BanditDave; 06-23-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:28 AM

nice project.