Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Default Scott Mock's rear suspension

I got one of Scott Mock's prototype rear suspensions. This is the same suspension that is under Kevin Miller's 69 Camaro that has been 2/10ths behind Brian Finch at two Good Guys events. Reasonably and priced and very well made.

Included are the following. Upper shock mount, lower shock mount brackets that attach to the bars, panhard bar w/ end links, panhard bar upper frame mount w/ tube gusset and 2 lower bars with johnny joints. The pictures below don't show the u-bolts and spring pad mounts that are included.

Modo Innovations
940-391-9002
Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 PM

I didn't know Scott was throwing these rear suspension packages together. Are you selling them for him? Do they come with directions or recommended mounting dimensions?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
I didn't know Scott was throwing these rear suspension packages together. Are you selling them for him? Do they come with directions or recommended mounting dimensions?
No, not selling them, I just wanted something that was easy to install that would work on the street, drag strip and occasional autocross. Scott told me what to do as far as the install goes. It's really easy. the hardest part for me will be the time to do it.

Modo Innovations
940-391-9002
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MODO Innovations View Post
No, not selling them, I just wanted something that was easy to install that would work on the street, drag strip and occasional autocross. Scott told me what to do as far as the install goes. It's really easy. the hardest part for me will be the time to do it.
Hope to see you post the install. I really like Scotts suspension stuff. He cant drive for sh*% but he sure can build them, lol. Just kidding Scott. Just razzin' ya!!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Junky View Post
Hope to see you post the install. I really like Scotts suspension stuff. He cant drive for sh*% but he sure can build them, lol. Just kidding Scott. Just razzin' ya!!
No I am not the fastest driver on the forum.But my son Kevin is knocking on the that door right now.With a little bit better equipment He will be the Man w/the target on his back.Jimmy Johnson has Chad Kanus,Kevin has me .Kevin's 69 runs a bone stock 98 LS1 w/80k & non/ajustable QA1's.So w/ some New Ride-Tech triple ajustable Coil over's we are hoping we can knock a little more off his AutoX time's.

Last edited by coolwelder62; 05-30-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 PM

Yup, Kevin is fast and he's lucky to have you. You build one hell of a race car Scott. If I wasn't so hell bent on keeping my rear leaf's I'd definitely be using your rear set up.

Last edited by Track Junky; 05-30-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Showing my ignorance here, but can someone explain this setup to me? I presume from these pictures that there is no 3rd or 4th link, just the 2 bars that are attaching at the stock mounting pads on the rear axle? I'm having a little bit of a hard time picturing how that will all work without the other pieces that mount there. Or from another perspective, if I do understand how it works, it seems like there would be a lot of forces at unusual angles relative to how a stock leaf setup would attach that would need reinforcing at the axle housing (which perhaps is what some of the small pieces are for).

Anyway, instead of asking lots of questions, is there another thread where there are pictures of this setup installed or described somewhere that I've missed?

Thanx!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Showing my ignorance here, but can someone explain this setup to me? I presume from these pictures that there is no 3rd or 4th link, just the 2 bars that are attaching at the stock mounting pads on the rear axle? I'm having a little bit of a hard time picturing how that will all work without the other pieces that mount there. Or from another perspective, if I do understand how it works, it seems like there would be a lot of forces at unusual angles relative to how a stock leaf setup would attach that would need reinforcing at the axle housing (which perhaps is what some of the small pieces are for).

Anyway, instead of asking lots of questions, is there another thread where there are pictures of this setup installed or described somewhere that I've missed?

Thanx!
I think you nailed it... basically a ladder bar that bolts to the stock perches and the front leaf spring eye bolt.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O3HDF150 View Post
I think you nailed it... basically a ladder bar that bolts to the stock perches and the front leaf spring eye bolt.
Thanx. My understanding of a ladder bar is that there are 2 mount points per side though, one above and one below the axle. I believe the 2 points allow adjustment of pinion angle, but I'm not sure it would change the forces applied to the axle housing. Well, except that each point would primarily see forces in 1 direction, where in this case, the mount point will see forces in both accel and decel?

Interesting idea, and I'm surprised we haven't see it before (unless I just missed it) given that it would appear to greatly simplify the installation. What are the limitations of this setup then?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:04 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, it is essentially as version of the truck-arm type suspension.
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!