Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 12-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Exactly, the Holley Dominator is super powerful for the price point. I am loving all the controls I can add.

To add to the above, I'm told that Holley is going to be putting in an integrated traction management aside from using the Davis Box in the near future. One concern I had originally that is being worked out is the flex fuel sensor. Seems some have it working no issues now.
2018 GMC Denali HD
Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM

I have seen many, many people recommended Holley EFI in all their variants. I was recommending using the stock computer to keep him within the budget, as it is very capable given it's cost (~$200 for a stand alone).

If you plan on upping the budget, maybe give us your best estimate and we can re-do our suggestions. If you up the budget a couple grand, you still would need to decide where it goes. Different EFI, dual turbos instead of single, etc etc.

It's very easy to snowball. I often wonder if I should have just stuck with my original plan of throwing an ebay turbo on my stock 6.0 instead of tearing it apart and building the motor for higher levels of boost. I could be driving my project pickup now, instead of piecing a motor together as money comes in. I know that when I'm done, I'll have a (relatively) bulletproof engine, quality parts, and more piece of mind. However, it may be a couple years before I have it done and even quality parts can fail unexpectedly. If I buy a high quality fuel pump and it happens to get a little weak, that could make my engine run lean under load and smoke my "bulletproof" engine if I don't catch it. Seems to be some people can run junk for years and never have a problem, then I do it by the book and have a random failure ruin it.

Just some random thoughts to consider. Even the best laid plans can go awry. Be away of the law of diminishing return, a $5 bike is better than no bike, a $500 bike is quite a bit better than a $5 bike, but a $5000 bike is probably not a huge difference from a $500 bike.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD Automotive View Post
There are a ton of benefits to the Holley setup over any other. Besides the engine tuning, it has one of the best boost controllers available, water/meth control, and the ability to use the Davis traction control box. So break that down. Better boost control than the $500-ish stand alone units, better water/meth control than the $250-ish units, and basically a $4000 Profiler traction control unit for an additional $600-$1000, all integrated and user programmable from one unit. I have one customer car that uses 8 EGT probes that are constantly monitored and can shut down, reduce boost, etc when a threshold that I programmed is reached. I can do that for any sensor that is used on the Dominator, and data log it all. BTW, also controls the GM trans and allows you to change and set all trans parameters.
I would rather buy something like that, than have a hodge podge of different controllers to hook up and deal with. Seems like money would be better spent that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Exactly, the Holley Dominator is super powerful for the price point. I am loving all the controls I can add.

To add to the above, I'm told that Holley is going to be putting in an integrated traction management aside from using the Davis Box in the near future. One concern I had originally that is being worked out is the flex fuel sensor. Seems some have it working no issues now.
Good info to know. I'm in the learning researching stage right now, so this is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_04 View Post
I have seen many, many people recommended Holley EFI in all their variants. I was recommending using the stock computer to keep him within the budget, as it is very capable given it's cost (~$200 for a stand alone).

If you plan on upping the budget, maybe give us your best estimate and we can re-do our suggestions. If you up the budget a couple grand, you still would need to decide where it goes. Different EFI, dual turbos instead of single, etc etc.

It's very easy to snowball. I often wonder if I should have just stuck with my original plan of throwing an ebay turbo on my stock 6.0 instead of tearing it apart and building the motor for higher levels of boost. I could be driving my project pickup now, instead of piecing a motor together as money comes in. I know that when I'm done, I'll have a (relatively) bulletproof engine, quality parts, and more piece of mind. However, it may be a couple years before I have it done and even quality parts can fail unexpectedly. If I buy a high quality fuel pump and it happens to get a little weak, that could make my engine run lean under load and smoke my "bulletproof" engine if I don't catch it. Seems to be some people can run junk for years and never have a problem, then I do it by the book and have a random failure ruin it.

Just some random thoughts to consider. Even the best laid plans can go awry. Be away of the law of diminishing return, a $5 bike is better than no bike, a $500 bike is quite a bit better than a $5 bike, but a $5000 bike is probably not a huge difference from a $500 bike.
I hear you on the snowball effect. With that said, this is likely the last car I will ever build, since I'm getting older, and I want it to be a first class build.
Also, knowing my personality, what will happen, is I will find a way to come up with the money to buy the best..haha
I appreciate you giving me info on a price point, I pulled out of the air. Wasn't sure if it was realistic or not.
What will likely happen initially, is I will put a N/A LS in it for now to drive it and work out the bugs, and then later down the road build the engine of my dreams. I plan to do the cooling and fuel systems (tank/pump/fuel line sizing) one time though, so that when the TT comes along, those items are already in place.
I already have 25K in the car, with the purchase of it, and the Heidts Pro G suspension system, so I figure, it's not out of line to expect to dump another 75K into it, with me doing 95% of the work/fabrication.
Heidts Pro G IRS/ Heidts Pro G Front
DSE mini tubs
TMI interior
4L80E
6.0L TT? Maybe
https://www.facebook.com/Angry-Johnn...?ref=bookmarks
Old 12-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Default Scaleability

That's a great benefit of these modern EFI systems, they're very scaleable. If you have the needed fuel delivery system, you probably just need to get larger injectors and re-tune it when you add turbos. The EFI market is also much more mature now than it was several years ago. Prices have come down significantly while the capabilities and ease-of-use have improved so much.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJD Automotive View Post
There are a ton of benefits to the Holley setup over any other. Besides the engine tuning, it has one of the best boost controllers available, water/meth control, and the ability to use the Davis traction control box. So break that down. Better boost control than the $500-ish stand alone units, better water/meth control than the $250-ish units, and basically a $4000 Profiler traction control unit for an additional $600-$1000, all integrated and user programmable from one unit. I have one customer car that uses 8 EGT probes that are constantly monitored and can shut down, reduce boost, etc when a threshold that I programmed is reached. I can do that for any sensor that is used on the Dominator, and data log it all. BTW, also controls the GM trans and allows you to change and set all trans parameters.
Do you have any thoughts on this system for street use? Im looking to drive mine a lot and would love something thats reliable and will last a long time.