Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Cooling: Radiators/Fans/Controllers
User Name
Password

Old 09-24-2015, 10:53 PM

Interesting idea.

Carl, do you know if it is ok to put a connector on the dcc temp lead? I want to put a weatherpack on it so i don't have to pull the sensor out of the rad fins.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors
Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 AM

That's what was done on mine since screwing in the modified sensor would be tough. Try to put the connector on such that it can be supported by zip ties, clamp, etc. The weight should not be supported by the fit of the sensor.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info!

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors
Old 09-27-2015, 12:35 AM

Thanks for all of the replies guys, I picked up the controller from entropy radiators. It's not PWM in the version I am using, but so far I am happy with it. I am about 2/3 of the way done installing it. I'll post back in here once I get some miles on the car with it working.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Or this one from PAINLESS.....

Here's their page - as they make several for various applications:

http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/fan5
I had this controller, I installed it, Had problems sent it in to Painless and finally after 3 weeks called them to see what was up. They said they where changing a few things.. I received it back and It had new setup instructions. Flip the switch up and hold the red button for 3 seconds. It worked a couple of times then wouldn't work right again. I called Painless (Pain in the azz) and they said that if It was there fault they would warranty it. If not it would cost me $160.00. So I shipped it back to summit and they refunded my money. GW said that I should go with relays, I ordered two relays and trigger them with a ground from my holley hp ecu at desired temps. Works like a charm.. So not saying not to try it if you desire, Just telling you my experience with it. Good luck
Old 10-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappytravis View Post
I had this controller, I installed it, Had problems sent it in to Painless and finally after 3 weeks called them to see what was up. They said they where changing a few things.. I received it back and It had new setup instructions. Flip the switch up and hold the red button for 3 seconds. It worked a couple of times then wouldn't work right again. I called Painless (Pain in the azz) and they said that if It was there fault they would warranty it. If not it would cost me $160.00. So I shipped it back to summit and they refunded my money. GW said that I should go with relays, I ordered two relays and trigger them with a ground from my holley hp ecu at desired temps. Works like a charm.. So not saying not to try it if you desire, Just telling you my experience with it. Good luck
If you have a Holley HP, all you need is the C6 Corvette fan controller. The Holley HP can be configured to send a PWM- signal, which the C6 controller is looking for. It works like a charm!

I made a video a while back showing how it works with the Dominator ECU, but it would be the same for the HP.

The biggest advantage is that there is no big surge when the fan kicks on and it only runs as fast as it needs to to keep the engine cool. I rarely see more than 50% speed.

Andrew
Old 10-11-2015, 08:57 PM

Default un

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
If you have a Holley HP, all you need is the C6 Corvette fan controller. The Holley HP can be configured to send a PWM- signal, which the C6 controller is looking for. It works like a charm!

I made a video a while back showing how it works with the Dominator ECU, but it would be the same for the HP.

The biggest advantage is that there is no big surge when the fan kicks on and it only runs as fast as it needs to to keep the engine cool. I rarely see more than 50% speed.

Andrew
I did look at that option somewhat Andrew, That is pretty sweet setup. However at the time It didn't seem that the main plug for the pwm controller was available. How did you terminate your wires to this end? I also am running 2 11 inch spal fans. I was under the understanding that I would need two pwm controllers. If I was to do It again I may try the corvette fan controller. What fan setup are you running?
The holley ecu's are pretty nice pieces when it comes to doing custom things such as this. I was over it and wanted to move on, to the next thing on the list and that is why I went with the relay setup. It was a simple solution. Thanks for the reply and the video. I will keep it in mind on the next project.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I did look at that option somewhat Andrew, That is pretty sweet setup. However at the time It didn't seem that the main plug for the pwm controller was available. How did you terminate your wires to this end? I also am running 2 11 inch spal fans. I was under the understanding that I would need two pwm controllers. If I was to do It again I may try the corvette fan controller. What fan setup are you running?
The holley ecu's are pretty nice pieces when it comes to doing custom things such as this. I was over it and wanted to move on, to the next thing on the list and that is why I went with the relay setup. It was a simple solution. Thanks for the reply and the video. I will keep it in mind on the next project.
The consensus in this thread:

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40215

is that the C6 fan controller will handle dual 11" fans without issues.

I am using a C6 fan. It is a cheap Dorman fan that was on super sale on Amazon for 80 bucks and it came with the proper connector to mate with the C6 controller. The C6 fan is rated at 400 watts, which works out to about a 31 amp draw at 13 volts. I used a Metripack 480 (32 amp) series 3 cavity connector on the other side to provide power and PWM- signal to the controller.

Andrew
Old 10-11-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
The consensus in this thread:

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=40215

is that the C6 fan controller will handle dual 11" fans without issues.

I am using a C6 fan. It is a cheap Dorman fan that was on super sale on Amazon for 80 bucks and it came with the proper connector to mate with the C6 controller. The C6 fan is rated at 400 watts, which works out to about a 31 amp draw at 13 volts. I used a Metripack 480 (32 amp) series 3 cavity connector on the other side to provide power and PWM- signal to the controller.

Andrew
So your fan setup is like this one? Then I plugs into controller. Then on the input side of pwm controller you have power, ground and trigger wire from your holley hp output extension harness?
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
So your fan setup is like this one? Then I plugs into controller. Then on the input side of pwm controller you have power, ground and trigger wire from your holley hp output extension harness?
Yes, that is my fan. The shroud even has a place for the controller to sit in.

There are a lot of details in my build thread:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...es-videos.html

The controller has 5 wires. Positive and negative that go to the fan, the positive and negative from the vehicle power, and the PWM- signal wire.

For power going into the controller I have the negative coming directly from the battery and the positive also from the battery but going through a 40 amp circuit breaker connected through the 3 cavity metripack 480 connector.

The PWM- signal wire goes from the 558-400 sub harness that connects to the Holley main harness. That wire also goes into the 3 cavity metripack 480 connector. All power wires are 10 gauge, while the signal wire is only 20 gauge. The 558-400 harness comes with 20 feet for each lead so there is plenty to run just about anywhere. Few more pics...

Andrew