Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Trucks
User Name
Password

Old 05-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Default ProTouring Wagoneer?

Welcome to my build!

The wife and I decided to consolidate a bit, and so I will be selling my '93 M5. Consequently, the ratty old 360, with its lack of overdrive had to go.

I'll be starting with my 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It currently has its stock 360 and 727 transmission, backed by the NP229 transfer case.

Exhibit A:

It's pretty much rust-free, with a few hail induced dings and a rather tweaked hood (it came open at some 35mph :shock: )

My plans:

Drivetrain
-LY5 5.3 (from a 2008 Silverado)
-4L60E (2008 Silverado)
-NP229

Interior
-Thunderbird Turbo Coupe front seats
-Custom console
-Custom dash
-A/C from a 70's Chevy truck

Body
-Cherokee Wide Trac flares
-Maroon paint
-Custom woodgrain
-Suburban 42 gallon tank
-Raised rear floor (2"-3") to accommodate tank.

Wheels/Tires/Suspension
-31" or 32" tires?
-15" wheels? 17"? 18"?
-Stock height? 2" lift?

Build list:

LY5/4L60E............................................. Received..........2008 Chevy Silverado
Modify Harness.......................................TBD. ...............Wayne Hartwig/Diff Wizard (suggestions?)
Engine Mounts.......................................Recei ved..........JeepinPete
Transmission Mounts...............................Received..... ......Ebay Vendor
Transmission Rebuild Kit..........................Received...........Tr anstech
Transmission/Transfer Case Adapter..........Received...........Novak/BJ's
Transfer Case Seal Kit.............................Received.......... Ebay Vendor
Radiator.......................................... ......Received..........Griffin '67-'69 Camaro LS Swap (Summit)
Radiator Fan..........................................Recei ved..........Lincoln Mark VIII (Ebay Vendor)
Radiator Hoses......................................TBD
Fuel Tank.............................................. Received..........'98 Chevy Suburban-42 Gallon (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Pump/Sending Unit..........................Received..........'9 8 Chevy Suburban (Ebay Vendor)
Fuel Lines............................................. TBD.................PTFE Lined Braided Line
Fuel Filter/Regulator(?)...........................TBD
Shifter Linkage......................................Recei ved...........FSJ Turbo 400 (ScottsMojo)
A/C-Heat Unit........................................Receiv ed..........'70s Chevy Truck (Integrated Heat-A/C)
A/C Evaporator......................................Or dered............'79 Firebird
Heater Core..........................................Rece ived...........'70s Chevy Truck
A/C Condenser......................................Rec eived...........Polar Bear Inc
Transmission Oil Cooler...........................TBD
Transmission Cooler Lines.......................TBD
Power Steering Lines/Adapters................Stock Jeep
Driveshafts....................................... ....TBD
Gauges............................................ ....Received...........Speedhut
Transmission Rebuild Tools.....................Received............Ebay Vendor
Wheels............................................ ....Received............Jeg's (Ultra Wheel Type 50/51)

We have progress!!

The engine arrives!

Out with the old... (oh, it's for sale too!)

Air Conditioning mock up...

Behind the dash...

In with the new...

Clears the firewall nicely!

Notes: The JeepinPete (from the Full Size Jeep Forum) mounts were PERFECT! I mounted the engine 1" forward of the original forward holes. By doing this, the transfer case is within an inch of its original mounting, and thus the linkage fits with no issues. Also, no driveshaft work is needed! The Turbo 400 shifter linkage was spot on.

Stay tuned!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Don't raise it, slam it!

Jeff-
Old 05-13-2013, 12:19 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts

Cool project.

Amazing how long that same platform was in existence.

You mentioned possibly lifting it.

For functional reasons...or just for the look?

Skip
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM

I had an '86 GW that I loved. Only drawbacks to it was its lackluster performance and lousy mileage. But with a 3 speed automatic and 2 bbl 36o, no wonder.

I don't know that I'd call it pro touring with a lift kit, but it certaanly will cruise nicer than original.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compos mentis View Post
Cool project.

Amazing how long that same platform was in existence.

You mentioned possibly lifting it.

For functional reasons...or just for the look?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp2 View Post
I had an '86 GW that I loved. Only drawbacks to it was its lackluster performance and lousy mileage. But with a 3 speed automatic and 2 bbl 36o, no wonder.

I don't know that I'd call it pro touring with a lift kit, but it certaanly will cruise nicer than original.
Nothing crazy, just a 2" lift. This brings it back to earlier Wagoneer/Cherokee height as the later Grand Wagoneers were lowered. Mine is definitely sagged a bit, so a 2" should be just right.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Of course, you guys understand that this isn't a "real" Pro-Touring vehicle. It will, however, be my daily driver, and as such, will be used for real "touring!'

Anyway, it seems we have more progress!

If you look carefully, you can see how I moved the engine forward by drilling new holes in the frame mounts.

And from the top...

Lot's of clearance underneath. The transfer case sits almost exactly where it did originally, though the rear crossmember is now in the rear mounting holes.

The evaporator case is built, a new evaporator has been installed, and it is all bolted on. It's a tight fit, but we have a good 3/4" clearance in the tightest places.

The defrost diaphragm didn't clear the engine inset, so...

I'll make a cover for it of course.

Clears the booster with no problems.

I love how much room is actually behind the dash! Lots of room for ducting, etc.

The heat outlet sits in the right spot too. (I think I need new carpet)

We have front sheet metal!

A friend I found on the garage door... she didn't survive the introduction.

It's raining today (on and off anyway), so I think I will work on the dash. Pics to follow, of course.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Looks like hood clearance will be close. Does it close? Nice rig BTW.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che70velle View Post
Looks like hood clearance will be close. Does it close? Nice rig BTW.
Thanks! I originally bought it as a utility vehicle/"Go Vehicle" (like a "Go Bag: or "Bug Out Bag"), but it's really grown on me... except for its lack of mileage (13mpg highway) and lack of overdrive. The engine swap and other things will make it a great everyday driver, plus I can get rid of one car, and thus all the car's maintenance, insurance, etc.

Without the cover and the fancy ducting (to quiet intake noise) it misses by a good inch. I am hoping to modify the cover to sit lower (no fancy ducting to clear), but if not, I'll run it sans cover. Won't be a pretty, but pretty isn't my main goal here.

Once the mechanical stuff is completed, I plan on installing Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe seats, recovered to match the rest of the interior (with seat heaters added), new front carpet, and then a repaint. I'll remove the woodgrain, install "Wide Trac" flares, and paint a Cherokee style stripe.

The stripe and flare will be this style (though my stripe will be a solid color).

Last edited by ProTouring442; 05-18-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 PM

I like this project... Check out Icon 4x4 they do some cool stuff with bronco's jeeps and FJ's Lots of neat little idea's.

Keep up the good work!

Matt
Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM

Thanked 2,205 Times in 1,343 Posts

Seems very well thought out.

Skip